Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Just now, TK95 said:

Didn't realise the Kompany testimonial was on Sky today 

Also makes me sad if we don't bother for Kingy :(

3 hours ago, TK95 said:

Also makes me sad if we don't bother for Kingy :(

I think there will be one for King, but then you also have to think will we start having to dish them out to all the title winners too possibly? 

I imagine King will get one, then when all the title winners retire we’ll do another one for the 2016 side too, although there are quite a few players you’d say who deserve their own. 

30 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think there will be one for King, but then you also have to think will we start having to dish them out to all the title winners too possibly? 

I imagine King will get one, then when all the title winners retire we’ll do another one for the 2016 side too, although there are quite a few players you’d say who deserve their own. 

No I don't think we would. King has been with us for over a decade, he's more than justfied a testimonial on his service alone. The fact that he's been influential in the rise from League One to playing in the Champions League, no other player is more deserving.

I'd imagine as part of his testimonial there will be the opportunity to invite the title winners back for the occassion, much like Kompany's today. So there wouldn't be a need to look beyond that.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I was under the impression if a player has been at a club 10+ years then they get a testimonial, which would mean the only player to qualify is King, as it stands.

Mind you, if Vardy and Schmeichel fulfil their current contracts they will be on 10+ too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

I was under the impression if a player has been at a club 10+ years then they get a testimonial, which would mean the only player to qualify is King, as it stands.

Mind you, if Vardy and Schmeichel fulfil their current contracts they will be on 10+ too.

Those dudes are retiring with us. I want Kasper shitting himself through old age before he even sits on the bench 

7 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

I'd love to see Kasper. Vardy & Morgan finish their playing careers with us, all get testimonials, then a role within the club in some capacity.

All have been excellent servants of the club. 

17 hours ago, foxile5 said:

If you COULD give a crap why are you acting like you COULDN'T? 

If you're going to speak on behalf of the 'US of A' in English then it might be prudent to think about whether or not you're using it correctly. 

2 Points here -

1) What you're criticising is everyday American English usage, nothing 'incorrect' about it.

2) Pedantry, apart from being deeply unattractive, is inappropriate in this context - 

respectfully I suggest you get over yourself.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

2 Points here -

1) What you're criticising is everyday American English usage, nothing 'incorrect' about it.

2) Pedantry, apart from being deeply unattractive, is inappropriate in this context - 

It doesn't matter if it's 'everyday', it's incorrect. A mistake is a mistake. It's not pedantry. Words ascribe meaning and communicate intention ; they should be used accurately. I'm not going to 'get over' my correct use of the English language. 

Infact, isn't there since muddied waters of what constitutes true over there right now? Perhaps a little clarity of language isn't such a bad thing. 

Just now, foxile5 said:

It doesn't matter if it's 'everyday', it's incorrect. A mistake is a mistake. It's not pedantry. Words ascribe meaning and communicate intention ; they should be used accurately. I'm not going to 'get over' my correct use of the English language. 

Infact, isn't there since muddied waters of what constitutes true over there right now? Perhaps a little clarity of language isn't such a bad thing. 

Please ensure you use spaces correctly. Thanks

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Linguistically, the use of vernacular falls outside of the rules of grammar. It's part of the living evolution of language. Therefore using terms like 'correct'or 'incorrect' in this context is wrong

And criticising an American for using American English (which clearly you didn't recognise) is actually quite insulting,

As for the point about truth in America...I don't think recent events in this country (hello Boris) give us much scope to cast stones across the Atlantic,

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

2 Points here -

That's fine but the words "I could give a crap" only make sense in the way you're using it if you put the word "like" at the start.  Otherwise it's no better than the many English people who say things like "I didn't do nothing". Being a common errant phrase we know what the person means when they say it but that doesn't make it correct.

Reports in the mirror state Southgate is confident Tammy Abrahamn will choose England as his national team. But he's eligible for Nigeria.

Let's be honest, why would he commit to England now when for as long as Kane is around, he won't start a game, and Southgate pretty much only brings on Rashford, ignoring the likes of Wilson etc. We have a fair few talents youngsters who I wouldn't be surprised to see swap nationalities. 

42 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Linguistically, the use of vernacular falls outside of the rules of grammar. It's part of the living evolution of language. Therefore using terms like 'correct'or 'incorrect' in this context is wrong

And criticising an American for using American English (which clearly you didn't recognise) is actually quite insulting,

As for the point about truth in America...I don't think recent events in this country (hello Boris) give us much scope to cast stones across the Atlantic,

This transcends grammar and drifts into semantics. The phrase itself doesn't make sense, vernacular or formal - it doesn't make sense. 

And context is important in this instance. This is an English language board, isn't it, not 'American English'. The phrase, itself, is incorrect and the context of the message should really have informed the post. If it is, as you say, just an issue if the vernacular, and the poster is aware that the meaning is incorrect, then perhaps a bit of foresight would've helped. 

Regardless, though, I still absolutely object to it and see no reason why misusing a word in such a weird fashion shouldn't be called. Just because it happens in specific place doesn't grant it done kind of heritage stamp. 

Agreed, to a point, about Boris. But we're not at American levels of DoubleThink and PolitiSpeak just yet. 

Edited by foxile5

1 hour ago, foxer said:

Please ensure you use spaces correctly. Thanks

Is this the space before the semi colon? 

It annoys me too but my phone insists on it. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Oxy as in the drug :S ... nevermind me ./sigh

And moron as in the poster?

10 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Those dudes are retiring with us. I want Kasper shitting himself through old age before he even sits on the bench 

I don't mind him retiring with us but you just know he'll soon be entering his 3 month error phase of the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This transcends grammar and drifts into semantics. The phrase itself doesn't make sense, vernacular or formal - it doesn't make sense. 

And context is important in this instance. This is an English language board, isn't it, not 'American English'. The phrase, itself, is incorrect and the context of the message should really have informed the post. If it is, as you say, just an issue if the vernacular, and the poster is aware that the meaning is incorrect, then perhaps a bit of foresight would've helped. 

Regardless, though, I still absolutely object to it and see no reason why misusing a word in such a weird fashion shouldn't be called. Just because it happens in specific place doesn't grant it done kind of heritage stamp. 

Agreed, to a point, about Boris. But we're not at American levels of DoubleThink and PolitiSpeak just yet. 

You're right, we are in the territory of semantics here. As such vernacular English is under no obligation to 'make sense' in the slightly narrow sense you imply. Phrases like 'not half!' or 'cheap at half the price' don't really make sense do they, but we all know what they mean.

As for American English - well I just don't get your point. Are you saying that Americans shouldn't be allowed to contribute to a forum because it concerns an English football team? Or if they are, they should modify their remarks to conform to strictly British English usage?

There are countless examples of American English being absorbed into mainstream English (so to speak). Thirty years ago nobody in this country replied 'I'm good' to the question 'how are you?' Now it's ubiquitous and unremarked on. Nobody said 'tell me about it!' to imply they know only too well what you're saying. Again, it's everywhere now.

American English has been informing and enriching our language for several centuries now. It seems, to me, pedantic and slightly precious to bemoan it. 

We all speak English. None of us own it.

As for the political point. Any cursory study of English history should draw the inevitable conclusion that when it comes to hypocrisy, disinformation and duplicity, the Americans can still learn plenty from the mother country!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

That's fine but the words "I could give a crap" only make sense in the way you're using it if you put the word "like" at the start.  Otherwise it's no better than the many English people who say things like "I didn't do nothing". Being a common errant phrase we know what the person means when they say it but that doesn't make it correct.

It's just American English. Pretty much guaranteed that in 10/20 years time we'll all be saying 'I could care less' and not thinking twice about it.

• Like 1