Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Grammar debates :nigel:

And people accuse me of taking this thread too far off on a tangent.

Crazy Innit?

I should be coming up with stunning insights like ' Why doesn't Southgate use Maddison?' Or ' Who are we going to replace in the Top 6?'

You know, fascinating stuff like that...

2 minutes ago, Crashtoasted said:

Can’t wait for Saturday! :scarf:

Yep, Brighton v Burnley is a massive game.

2 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

It's just American English. Pretty much guaranteed that in 10/20 years time we'll all be saying 'I could care less' and not thinking twice about it.

No we won't lol  It will still be relatively common terminology, moreso in the USA, and it will still be poor grammar.  I can understand you being annoyed at the twattish way Foxile went about making his initial point but it's silly getting upset about the grammatical argument itself.  English is full of grammatically incorrect colloquialisms and this is just another example of one, I don't think there can be much debate about that.  Personally I'm not that fussed which term someone uses as long as I know what they mean but I guess the fact I've bothered weighing in at all means I really could care less, and so could you. :thumbup:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

No we won't lol  It will still be relatively common terminology, moreso in the USA, and it will still be poor grammar.  I can understand you being annoyed at the twattish way Foxile went about making his initial point but it's silly getting upset about the grammatical argument itself.  English is full of grammatically incorrect colloquialisms and this is just another example of one, I don't think there can be much debate about that.  Personally I'm not that fussed which term someone uses as long as I know what they mean but I guess the fact I've bothered weighing in at all means I really could care less, and so could you. :thumbup:

I was a bit of a twat, eh? 

lol

17 hours ago, TK95 said:

Didn't realise the Kompany testimonial was on Sky today 

17 hours ago, TK95 said:

Also makes me sad if we don't bother for Kingy :(

Man City have announced they are building a statue of Kompany outside the ground and the Chairman has already renamed a road into the training ground after Kompany.

Testimonials aside, we should have a statue of Morgan lifting the trophy if anything.

There are some decent fixtures this weekend and like us other fans are anticipating their chances and love their team through thick and thin. The biggest difference between us and Americans is that our teams have local tradition and are generally here to stay and not be a move around franchise ( I know I know MK dons ) but even they are starting to get an identity in a city that wanted something to support. We know Leicester city will be in our city and that makes it our team whatever.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I was a bit of a twat, eh? 

lol

Ah don’t sweat it. Comes to is all at some point. I live with it on a daily basis. Chauffeur is a twat, Gardner is a twat, housekeeper can be a right twat, Butler - well he’s a fuching twat and according to my wife I’m the biggest twat of all for paying them. 

Then, of course, there is FT - on which I sometimes come across as Twatman. (Lined that up for whoever fancies it). 🤪

Love this type of grammar debate where someone from a country of 60ish million preach to the states where over 300 million live or to the rest of the world where 1.5billion speak English, Telling them they don't speak correctly (even though most people living in England don't speak "correctly" if the same rules are followed). When will they realise "The Queen's British English" is only one of many Englishes that are acceptable. Now when does that Gen forum ban end for people in this thread?:D

• Like 1

Ready for the PL's return...this break was excruciatingly long and tiresome. Felt like it came far too early in the season.

• Like 2

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9913472/premier-league-admit-four-var-mistakes/

Giving his regular update to the clubs at the “Shareholder” meeting, Riley confirmed that there was an acceptance by his officials that mistakes had been made.

The four decisions that Riley admitted were flawed were:

• Allowing Fabian Schar’s leveller for Newcastle against Watford, after the VAR official missed Isaac Hayden’s handball.
  • Youri Tielemans avoiding a red card for his stamp on Bournemouth’s Callum Wilson.
  • Not awarding Manchester City a penalty when Jefferson Lerma stood on David Silva’s foot in the Bournemouth box.
  • Failing to give West Ham a spot kick when Seb Haller was brought down by Norwich’s Tom Trybull.

Riley told the club bosses that he had gathered his officials during the international break when it was agreed that the decisions should have been overturned on review.

And from this weekend, VAR teams based at Stockley Park near Heathrow will be expected to step in and tell the on-field referee to change his call.

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9913472/premier-league-admit-four-var-mistakes/

Giving his regular update to the clubs at the “Shareholder” meeting, Riley confirmed that there was an acceptance by his officials that mistakes had been made.

The four decisions that Riley admitted were flawed were:

• Allowing Fabian Schar’s leveller for Newcastle against Watford, after the VAR official missed Isaac Hayden’s handball.
  • Youri Tielemans avoiding a red card for his stamp on Bournemouth’s Callum Wilson.
  • Not awarding Manchester City a penalty when Jefferson Lerma stood on David Silva’s foot in the Bournemouth box.
  • Failing to give West Ham a spot kick when Seb Haller was brought down by Norwich’s Tom Trybull.

Riley told the club bosses that he had gathered his officials during the international break when it was agreed that the decisions should have been overturned on review.

And from this weekend, VAR teams based at Stockley Park near Heathrow will be expected to step in and tell the on-field referee to change his call.

Saw this on Sky, hoped they'd go into any detail of why they weren't over turned or changed. 

It's a bit of a non-story for me, they admitted to only 4 mistakes but spoken nothing on anything else or gone into any detail

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Would like one of Vardy celebrating his 11th in 11 too.

Or a mural with a compilation of his visits to West Brom lol

Edited by TK95

2 hours ago, Brooksy said:

So they're ignoring the exact same challenge Lerma made on Evans then?

Because evans didnt make a fuss about it.

Wilson was straight on tv crying about it, theyre so swayed by the media its a joke. Same with fellani and huth a few years ago.