Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

One of the biggest problems with VAR is inconsistency; it depends who's at Stockley Park. Someone like Mike Dean with a big ego will happily overturn decisions - maybe even go too far. But someone like Anthony Taylor is a bottler of big decisons.

I'm suprised they didn't factor in things like this before they implemented it - could almost do with the exact same people on VAR every game.

Pudits who micro-analysed all the decisons in previous seasons who are now moaning about VAR can do one though. The drama they created is the main reason it's been introduced.

Just now, Guesty said:

One of the biggest problems with VAR is inconsistency; it depends who's at Stockley Park. Someone like Mike Dean with a big ego will happily overturn decisions - maybe even go too far. But someone like Anthony Taylor is a bottler of big decisons.

I'm suprised they didn't factor in things like this before they implemented it - could almost do with the exact same people on VAR every game.

Pudits who micro-analysed all the decisons in previous seasons who are now moaning about VAR can do one though. The drama they created is the main reason it's been introduced.

That is a problem, which is why refs should be using the pitch side monitor more on close decisions, it is a joke they don’t do this. 

None of our goals in October selected for MOTD2's goal of the month comp!

Thought Perez's 2nd and Maddison's free-kick against Southampton might have been good enough.

• Like 4

Just now, StanSP said:

None of our goals in October selected for MOTD2's goal of the month comp!

Thought Perez's 2nd and Maddison's free-kick against Southampton might have been good enough.

We scored nine and upset the apple cart again. Tielemans' finish against Burnley was an absolute belter as well. Hit that with venom!

• Like 1

i could watch mason holgate try and defend that deli alli goal for probably the rest of my life. what the fu cking hell was he doing. some mad little shimmy thing. made absolutely no sense but was great to watch. 

• Haha 2

also rewatching that red card on motd i cannot believe he's given it, that is probably the worst refereeing decision of all time for me. he's given him a yellow for a yellow card offence, then saw the geezer's ankle and gone and sent him off ahaha. you can't do that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

also rewatching that red card on motd i cannot believe he's given it, that is probably the worst refereeing decision of all time for me. he's given him a yellow for a yellow card offence, then saw the geezer's ankle and gone and sent him off ahaha. you can't do that. 

It's a complete farce.  

Before issuing a red, the referee should take charge and review the incident by using the pitchside screen.  He'd then issue the red to Aurier and not Son.  Auriers challenge causes the injury, not Son.

Mind you, if that penalty box incident involving Son is managed correctly in the first half, he should be booked for simulation, following the referee reviewing this on the pitchside screen.  So, he should have gone over two yellows, but not the circus that it became.

Clear from the highlights the referee lost control of the game early on.

Weak referee.

Feel for all involved in the Gomes incident, awful injury. However, I hope the PL and FA now take note of what's occurred and tighten up on these deliberate fouls which occur in the transitional phase of play and have been encouraged by the likes of Pep and Klopp. I'm afraid to say that a bad injury was always eventually going to happen to someone and the authorities need to clamp down sooner rather than a later as not only are such challenges potentially dangerous but they also go against the spirit of the game by ruining the spectacle of watching teams turnover play quickly. 

yeah i thought he'd already been booked for that dive and i thought he wasn't gonna book him for that tackle. then he did and then a minute later decided he was a bit too injured to be just a yellow ahaha. couldn't believe it but i was watching on a stream so thought i was missing something but nah, motd cleared up how much of a joke that was. 

as for that prem statement about endangering someone or whatever it was. literally every tackle "could" lead to someone being injured. completely nuts. 

Poch comment is spot on, the ref on the field in the tempo and heat of the game should make the decisions and consult the fecking monitor pitchside to check his initial decision if not 100% sure.

that handball by alli would be given last week but not this?! 

FARCE.

MoTD also making the point about the merrygoround going on with regards to which ref is on the field, which ref is on the monitors and how regular they interchange.

It needs to be an independent body dealing with this, not a case of you have a go, now him, then me etc.  Joke.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

Just seen highlights of Villa v Liverpool game. 

Mane is a fvcking disgrace. The sad thing is, he doesn't have to dive, he's a great footballer. 

Richarlason is equally disgusting but only half the player of Mane. 

9 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Feel for all involved in the Gomes incident, awful injury. However, I hope the PL and FA now take note of what's occurred and tighten up on these deliberate fouls which occur in the transitional phase of play and have been encouraged by the likes of Pep and Klopp. I'm afraid to say that a bad injury was always eventually going to happen to someone and the authorities need to clamp down sooner rather than a later as not only are such challenges potentially dangerous but they also go against the spirit of the game by ruining the spectacle of watching teams turnover play quickly. 

Totally agree. So called "professional fouls" or taking one for the team. Never a fan of it, if you are beat let it be and see if the keeper  or another player can make a save/stop and be a hero. 

If you make said foul, red card plus a few extra games. This applies to us, not like we dont make these stupid fouls. I just feel it takes away from the game and can lead to stupid injuries etc.

2 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

Just seen highlights of Villa v Liverpool game. 

Mane is a fvcking disgrace. The sad thing is, he doesn't have to dive, he's a great footballer. 

Richarlason is equally disgusting but only half the player of Mane. 

Pretty spot on with that assessment.

Edited by Jattdogg

5 minutes ago, adam said:

First time I've seen that watford penalty. Another shocker. What the **** is going on 

I felt it was a foul but the Watford player made a meal of it half a second after realising he’d been caught. 

It's moments like that where you wish players would just bloody play on. 

1 hour ago, ian_marshall said:

So say Hamza’s fouling Salah, or say Evans earlier today??  Let’s not point the finger at other clubs and managers when we do it just as much... fouls are based on merit of the situation.. there’s no way anyone would have know Gomes would have got his studs stuck in the turf. Physical contacts part and part of the game, sadly the odd serious injury will happen..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

i think this has to be in the top 5 worst refereeing performance in any game, of any sport, i’ve ever seen 

Absolutely shambolic stuff. In a season of pathetic officiating (convinced it gets worse every year) this game probably ranked right at number one that I've seen.

An unbelievable level of ineptness.

Respect to Marco Silva for his post match interview. If that was a Liverpool player Klopp would have had a meltdown and targeted Son with his unhinged rants.

• Like 1

I know a Liverpool fan who is insistent that Mane was tripped and the live commentary even said so. Made me actually LOL in real life. He's so blinkered it's untrue. He went down like he was auditioning for a remake of Platoon. 

• Haha 2

VAR had a mare this weekend, but VAR isn't the problem, it's how it's being used. It still seems to be wildly inconsistent and in regards to the Alli handball the video ref making up his own rules saying it was not given because of the contact with the other player.

Happened with the son sending off too but beleive we can forgive mistakes by the on field ref who likely got caught up in the moment but that's where VAR, should be used to confirm it's only a yellow. 

We really can learn alot from rugby who's use of the tmo really does benefit the game. As keown said last night, hearing the discussion between the ref and video ref and understanding how and why decisions were made will be a huge step forward and I have no idea why this wasn't already done. 

This may seem harsh but I have little sympathy for son, sure he didn't mean to cause injury but spurs are such a dirty team and everytime I see them they seem to be flying into tackles but somehow getting away with it. They seem to have this streak in them as a team. 

As for clamping down on these sort of tackles, I can't see that happening and actually think it's diving that needs much harsher retrospective action. Son mane and Richardson all throwing themselves to the floor yesterday and making the job of the ref alot harder. As we saw against Liverpool, throwing yourself to the floor can still get the desired outcome so until we remember football is a contact sport and really clamp down on throwing yourself to the floor after the smallest touch, they are gonna keep doing it and keep getting away with it.

• Like 3

I’d love there to be 5/6 well trained individuals, who do the VAR for all games.

All we want is consistency, and refs who are confident in overturning an on field decision.

We then need an ‘umpires call’ where there is not enough evidence, where we stick with the original decision.

All of this needs to be made clear to people in the stands and watching on TV. Let us hear the conversations between referees and VAR.