Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

20 minutes ago, Koke said:

13 wins and 1 draw in 14 games is not luck tbf.

I'd disagree with you there! There is no doubt that this Liverpool team is an outstanding one. Reigning European Champions, two Champions League finals in a row, 97 points in the league last season. But the points tally they have is absurd and suggests that this team is better than the Man City one that got 100 points, better than the Arsenal invincibles, better than some of Sir Alex Ferguson's Man U teams and better than Mourinho's Chelsea that only conceded 14 goals all season. In many of the games they have played this season they have been far from vintage and have grinded out results and had more than their fare share of luck, such as that penalty at the death against us. They could yet go on to be considered as good as, or even better than those teams, but they are not playing as fluently or as good as they were last season, despite having so many more points.

They would certainly be deserved champions and are also deservedly top of the league. But I think it's fair to say that the amount of points they have isn't in line with their performances. IMO they should probably have 4-6 points less than they do.

But listen there's no point in throwing our toys out of the pram. Luck tends to even itself out over the course of the season, so they will no doubt drop a few points especially in the upcoming fixture madness. We just have to hope our team can do the business and push them for the title. It will be very, very difficult though! We are playing great and have championship form ourselves, but given that Man City won the league with 100 and then 98 points in the last two seasons, I just don't think we have it our team's capacity to get anything like that many points. I could see us breaking 81 points, which is our current record, but I think getting 90 or above is impossible.

• Like 4

Liverpool have been fortunate for at least the last six games, having to work very hard, and not playing teams off the park; that can come to hurt them come December with the amount of games. We will see, at the moment though they are clear favourites no doubt about it. 

14 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

To be fair they don’t need to turn into Hartlepool, as long as we keep up our form, they realistically only need to lose once. 

If we beat Everton at home (which we should really be looking to do) the gap is 8 points.

If they were to lose just one game, which isn’t outside the realms of possibility regardless of how good they are, and we manage to pick up a victory in their stead, that’s a 5 point gap.

Then, when they play us at home, a win would take us within 2 points, before New Years even rolled around. 

It takes a lot of luck for that outcome, but even if they only draw we’re still within 3 points if we beat them, 

Of course, there’s ample chance we lose in that period, but it’s really not that fanciful they could slip up on one fixture after 15/16 games and give us an opportunity to close the gap.

all of this is great to hope for, but they have lost one game in their last 50 or something. they haven't lost a single game in their last 31 fixtures. 

the thought of not only them losing 3 in the next month, but also us winning all 7 of ours, is just hilarious to me. of course we all want to believe that it is possible but without even looking any further than the two sentences i've written there, it's not hard to see that it is almost definitely not going to happen. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

all of this is great to hope for, but they have lost one game in their last 50 or something. they haven't lost a single game in their last 31 fixtures. 

the thought of not only them losing 3 in the next month, but also us winning all 7 of ours, is just hilarious to me. of course we all want to believe that it is possible but without even looking any further than the two sentences i've written there, it's not hard to see that it is almost definitely not going to happen. 

It is all about applying pressure, Liverpool can crumble it doesn’t matter what they have done before... out of all the stats you mentioned they haven’t won a title for 30 years still. That is why they will be under immense pressure

Just now, AKCJ said:

Great day for us.

No point getting your hopes us for another Premier LEague winners medal.

We're having an unreal season and could make it 12 points clear of 5th with 2 other teams between us tomorrow. That's sensational and all we should be focusing on.

Spot on

Just enjoy it people. Champions league at the KP next season is a real possibility 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Blimey ! ...   we’re on for two and counting !! .....     :o

:brendan:

Yes Who’d have thought!

Just got to capitalise on the advantage and get the win now tomorrow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Great day for us.

No point getting your hopes us for another Premier LEague winners medal.

We're having an unreal season and could make it 12 points clear of 5th with 2 other teams between us tomorrow. That's sensational and all we should be focusing on.

Nope ...   I’m starting to dream ....    :)

Liverpool are going to crack over Christmas I’m convinced. Whether we can capitalise is another thing. I’m more than happy with the very real possibility of a top 4 finish. That would be outstanding. Anything beyond that would be insane. 

Then again, we are winning the league, so..........

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Would be delighted with 2nd and an automatic Champions League place.

Yes 2nd would be magnificent but so would 4th which is also an automatic Champions League place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Yes 2nd would be magnificent but so would 4th which is also an automatic Champions League place.

And first would be even better ...    :)

• Like 1

Yeah but, yeah but.... Saints are currently bottom, and living down here among 'the entitled', I'm bloody delighted. Cmon Watford, (although I'll be disappointed to lose our local game)

Now, if we can get rid of Bournemouth as well, I can get back to proper away days

Edited by steveherbe

I still stand by we are the only team capable of beating Liverpool right now, which is fcukin pointless really as we'll still be 5 points behind them at best come Boxing Day and they've won it. Sickening, they are annoyingly getting the job done right now as the majority of the league is shit.

Spurs will creep up the table, easily can catch Chelsea if they are as naive as they were today. Big big game for us tomorrow to put yet more space between us and the cannon fodder below.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I still stand by we are the only team capable of beating Liverpool right now, which is fcukin pointless really as we'll still be 5 points behind them at best come Boxing Day and they've won it. Sickening, they are annoyingly getting the job done right now as the majority of the league is shit.

Spurs will creep up the table, easily can catch Chelsea if they are as naive as they were today. Big big game for us tomorrow to put yet more space between us and the cannon fodder below.

I think liverpool will drop points this month, due to their crazy schedule, injuries etc. We might even get closer than 5 points, but they've brought themselves the space to have that blip. Once we get past December I think they'll kick on there'll be no stopping them.

Really can't believe how fvckin outstanding our goals against record is so far this season.

Only 8 goals conceded in 13 games is four better than the next best teams (Liverpool and Sheff Utd with 12)

12 teams have already conceded more than 20 goals so far and we're by far and away the most miserly defense in the PL 

#cleansheetarmy

Can the Fox,chase down the Liver bird...??

We beat the ol'man Cock,and got among the chickens..& Scuppered The MC..Ship not long back!!!  

Nothing is determined or decided before Christmas, New  Year & Easter pens or coupes have been rattled...