Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Just now, Walkers said:

Why does a neutral broadcaster insist on having fans of the two clubs sat in the commentary box when they simply cannot stay neutral? I don't want to hear Carragher celebrating ffs

Tbf, Neville thought Firmino's goal was incorrectly ruled out, while Carragher thought it was correctly disallowed. But yeah, can do without Carragher saying, "[insert Liverpool player's name] you little dancer!".

Rashford our ‘till April, hopefully he will still be rusty when we play them at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Tbf, Neville thought Firmino's goal was incorrectly ruled out, while Carragher thought it was correctly disallowed. But yeah, can do without Carragher saying, "[insert Liverpool player's name] you little dancer!".

Well yeah precisely that. And Neville's ooooowhooaoaooooooooooooohhhh (Torres' Chelsea goal) that comes out atleast once a game

23 minutes ago, Eskay said:

Comparing our team to these two....we are miles behind for speed and also how quick they transition the ball 

We weren’t , earlier in the season . We’ve hit some sort of invisible wall . I can’t wait to get back to one game a week .

31 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Another gripe with football... why is it so widely accepted for players to speak to officials the way that they do? To suggest they speak to them like dirt is putting it lightly to say the least. Even with VAR you have Man Utd players furiously surrounding the referee to insist a goal shouldn't have counted. If they are correct it will be spotted, ****ing get on with it. Henderson clearly ran the ball out of play late on and turned around and mouthed off at the linesman, and also called for a goalkick a few mins later when a Utd player clearly kicked it off him for a corner. Why does football have this culture of dishonesty where other sports don't? I have no idea why anybody would want to be a referee

I don't think the referees themselves are shrinking violets.

In fact by all accounts their language can be as bad as the players. 

Agree with your final point. Why would anybody want to be a referee? Answer, you'd have to be the kind of person who relishes getting abuse, relishes being centre of attention, etc etc.

Doesn't offend me to see players having a go at them. In fact I'd have loved it if Henderson lost his mind and nutted the cvnt.

Liverpool were comfortable, Man United had one serious chance and that was Martial blazing over. Liverpool should've won by 4, Tyler and Neville making it closer than it was.

Just a shame we couldn't increase the gap.

Rashford out for 3 months. Ole with a cheeky bid for Slimani? ;)

Edited by TK95

Punditry becoming embarrassing. Just shouting matches about nonsense every week.

If I wanted that I'd watch Made In Chelsea.

On 15/01/2020 at 10:49, Gerard said:

The Belgian lads will be amazed that their failed ex manager was selected ahead of the new Barcelona manager by Watford. lol

@Lizhang @Bonanza @Pelotas

More amazed by how he turned Watford around, and so quickly as well... while he couldn't get anything going for us in the Belgian Second Division.

4 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Wolves are the team we should be worried about, not Man United.

Remember when half the forum were cheering them on against Man City a few weeks a go? lol

Hopefully us in the other half of the forum won't get a "I told you so" moment in May. 

Edited by Gerard

3 hours ago, Walkers said:

Another gripe with football... why is it so widely accepted for players to speak to officials the way that they do? To suggest they speak to them like dirt is putting it lightly to say the least. Even with VAR you have Man Utd players furiously surrounding the referee to insist a goal shouldn't have counted. If they are correct it will be spotted, ****ing get on with it. Henderson clearly ran the ball out of play late on and turned around and mouthed off at the linesman, and also called for a goalkick a few mins later when a Utd player clearly kicked it off him for a corner. Why does football have this culture of dishonesty where other sports don't? I have no idea why anybody would want to be a referee

I'd love to be a ref. If some cvnt like Henderson started mouthing off, I'd book him. If he dared do it again, I'd send him off. I'd also insist that every player calls me "sir" like in Rugby. :D

17 hours ago, Facecloth said:

How was Ajeti headbutting Holgate not a red too?

Get your money on him scoring Wednesday no doubt.

9 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Wolves are the team we should be worried about, not Man United.

Luckily I think the Europa League may put paid to them. What's even stranger with them is at the minute all I seem to read from their fans is moaning about lack of business, so maybe it's not all as great as it seems there either.

I feel like we'll make it by default. Man Utd are awful and have lost Rashford now. Spurs are awful and have lost Kane. Arsenal are absolutely no threat. Wolves I've covered. I actually can't even exclude Sheffield United at this point. To be honest this feels like the weakest Premier League I've ever seen but I find myself saying this too often and wonder if it's just me. But this really does just feel so poor.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Luckily I think the Europa League may put paid to them. What's even stranger with them is at the minute all I seem to read from their fans is moaning about lack of business, so maybe it's not all as great as it seems there either.

I feel like we'll make it by default. Man Utd are awful and have lost Rashford now. Spurs are awful and have lost Kane. Arsenal are absolutely no threat. Wolves I've covered. I actually can't even exclude Sheffield United at this point. To be honest this feels like the weakest Premier League I've ever seen but I find myself saying this too often and wonder if it's just me. But this really does just feel so poor.

I'd agree with this. Liverpool are on an excpetional run that covers nigh on 2 seasons, but the rest, even Man City are just mediocre. A weaker league overall than even 15/16.

I don't know what the table looked like before we played Pool at Xmas, but I would imagine we're not much worse off now when you look at points to 5th place, despite the pretty ropey run we've been on since. 

I'd be interested to see if the people now claiming the league is on it's knees and as weak as it's ever been, are the same people that wanted the league to be more competitive. A league that doesn't just have the same 4/5 teams sharing the top positions every year without being challenged.

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

If look at the benches Wolves are playing at the moment, you can see why they are moaning - they are an injury or suspension off playing kids. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kingfox said:

Never thought much of Jordan Henderson until this season.

He has been absolute quality.

He’s absolutely brilliant. Such a great captain, type of player we need right now 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/premier-league-table-long-real-points-liverpool-lead-man-city-man-utd-arsenal-leicester-chelsea

Think Liverpool are running away with it? Here's how the Premier League table REALLY looks

The league table is a list, but the Long Table shows you how close teams are – and the gulf that is emerging behind Liverpool in the Premier League this season

byFourFourTwo staff

Published47 min ago

Well, it's certainly starting to look like Liverpool might win the Premier League. If by 'starting', we mean 'continuing', and by 'might', we mean 'absolutely, definitely will'.

Following Sunday's 2-0 victory over Manchester United – plus a draw for Manchester City and a defeat for Leicester – Jurgen Klopp's side took a 16-point lead at the top of the table. Oh, and they have a game in hand.

It's a gap so big that the normal Premier League table simply doesn't do it justice.

That's where we come in. Instead of simply listing which place each clubs is, leaving some teams deceptively close and others misleadingly far apart, we simply list each side according to their points total.

We've been doing a variation of this Cann table – otherwise known the Premier League Long Table, as we simpletons at FFT Towers like to call it – for a while now. It ably demonstrates the gulf between pockets of the league, and develops nicely as the season wears on.

It helps us to realise fairly simple things, like how City are closer to seventh-place Sheffield United than they are to Liverpool, or how Arsenal are still nearer the relegation zone than they are the Champions League places. It helps us recognise that while Manchester United may have climbed to the top of the non-Champions League pile, they still have more reason to be looking over their shoulders.

And we can see just how important Tuesday's games between Bournemouth and Brighton, and Aston Villa and Watford are to the battle to beat the drop...

Premier League long table
At close of play, Sun Jan 19
Pts Team(s)    
64 Liverpool    
48 Man City    
45 Leicester    
39 Chelsea    
34 Man United Wolves  
33 Sheff United    
31 Tottenham    
30 Crystal Palace    
29 Arsenal Everton Newcastle
28 Southampton    
27 Burnley    
25 Brighton    
23 West Ham Watford  
22 Aston Villa    
20 Bournemouth    
17 Norwich
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Punditry becoming embarrassing. Just shouting matches about nonsense every week.

If I wanted that I'd watch Made In Chelsea.

Is it just me or do goals dictate their perception of the game unless it’s big 6 vs one of the rest? 

Say our game, we were all over Burnley but on Sky it was ‘Burnley were brilliant la la la...’, no we were slightly below average and they took 2 chances. 

But if it was United, Liverpool... vs Burnley it would’ve been ‘Burnley dug in and took the two chances that came their way’ 

they don’t watch the games, just make a narrative up as they go along with whatever the scoreline is saying

12 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Got to feel for them. Good job they racked a fair few points up early doors. Relegation battle is really interesting this season, and in fact, apart from the title race (and potentially race for top 4), this season is as open as ever.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Is it just me or do goals dictate their perception of the game unless it’s big 6 vs one of the rest? 

Say our game, we were all over Burnley but on Sky it was ‘Burnley were brilliant la la la...’, no we were slightly below average and they took 2 chances. 

But if it was United, Liverpool... vs Burnley it would’ve been ‘Burnley dug in and took the two chances that came their way’ 

they don’t watch the games, just make a narrative up as they go along with whatever the scoreline is saying

That’s what MOTD said .......