Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

23 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

You can’t just extend all contracts to end of July, clubs have budgets that will already be hit by this.

Players they want to keep they will already be negotiating with. Many clubs have players on decent wages not playing any part, they will be counting down the days to get them off the books, not wanting to have to pay them an extra 2 months wages.

We only have 9 games left to play in most divisions and a maximum of 3 Fa Cup games. We could play these all over 5 or 6 weeks.

Postpone the Euros for a year, scrap the Nations League and scrap all international friendly games until everything is back on track.

There will be winners and losers... but it's a solution to buy time

9 hours ago, Md9 said:

Sorry if posted somewhere else to many threads to keep up with 

563C864D-602F-4CB9-A2AA-73A9210CD8E8.png

So spurs can steal a CL spot.

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

So spurs can steal a CL spot.

I read somewhere that this wasn’t the case 

but they don’t need to play their hand so early - they will be manoeuvring behind the scenes and screwing us/ sheff Utd over. 

21 hours ago, StanSP said:

Nige :wub:

I’ve always felt the Nige worship around here was a little overblown, but he made a fan out of me here. Speaking truth to power is never a bad thing - or an easy thing.

• Like 2

It would be outrageous for sheff United, wolves or ourselves not to get a chance for champions League. Financially a similar position to the promoted/relegated teams.

What happens with promotion/relegation will have to happen with the champions League etc for the same reasons surely? 🤔

So, if the Premier League ended today and they called it as it stands, who would make your team of the season?

Mine has a few that have no chance of making the official team, but based purely on the games I have seen this season.

Foster (Watford)

Riccardo (Leicester)

Evans (Leicester)

Tarkowski (Burnley)

Jonny (Wolves)

Henderson (Liverpool) (c)

De Bruyne (Man City)

Rodrigo (Man City)

Mahrez (Man City)

Vardy (Leicester)

Aubameyang (Arsenal)

Bench: 

Henderson (Sheff Utd)

Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)

Soyuncu (Leicester)

Grealish (Villa)

Ndidi (Leicester)

Firmino (Liverpool)

Ings (Southampton)

Manager Wilder (Sheff United)

To end the season now and keep the results, would be very unfair on those in the relegation zone. Plus those chasing promotion places 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

To end the season now and keep the results, would be very unfair on those in the relegation zone. Plus those chasing promotion places 

Especially given Villa are in the bottom three and have a game in hand which, if they win, would lift them out if it. 

Surely ending the season now with points as they stand is fairer than completely voiding the season off? We're 3/4s of the way through, it's not as if the campaign has just kicked off. 

Only issue I could see would be as mentioned above in that games in hand really do *need* to be played.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Surely ending the season now with points as they stand is fairer than completely voiding the season off? We're 3/4s of the way through, it's not as if the campaign has just kicked off. 

Only issue I could see would be as mentioned above in that games in hand really do *need* to be played.

Hard to say, it is the teams in relegation who aren’t far off getting out and those only a couple of points to promotion. It isn’t fair either way. The best thing to do is to postpone the euros, and just resume the season when we can, and have no 20/21 season... maybe put the euros in the winter. 

• Like 1

You can’t treat it null and void. Too much has gone into it already and as things stand this is a fair reflection of where teams are at. As much as it would be funny to see Liverpool lose it, if teams are frustrated they didn’t get their opportunity to better their standings; win more games earlier then?

You shouldn’t get a do over. Every team should manage their season based on ‘if it ended tomorrow here’s where we’d be’.

2 minutes ago, KFS said:

You can’t treat it null and void. Too much has gone into it already and as things stand this is a fair reflection of where teams are at. As much as it would be funny to see Liverpool lose it, if teams are frustrated they didn’t get their opportunity to better their standings; win more games earlier then?

You shouldn’t get a do over. Every team should manage their season based on ‘if it ended tomorrow here’s where we’d be’.

The only problem with leaving it as it is, is Arsenal, Sheff United and Villa all have a game in hand which could directly affect their final league position.

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The only problem with leaving it as it is, is Arsenal, Sheff United and Villa all have a game in hand which could directly affect their final league position.

Get them to play that in a closed doors match at the targeted date to resume when both sets of players are fully fit and healthy (from Coronavirus).

Then lock the whole thing down.

Edited by KFS
  • Like 1

Greg Clarke, the FA Chairman, has told the Premier League that he does not think the domestic football season will be completed, sparking huge fears about financial difficulties for the division’s 20 clubs, report The Times .

Clarke attended the emergency Premier League meeting in London on Friday morning, which reached a decision that all matches in the Premier League, the EFL, the FA Women’s Super League and the Women’s Championship would be suspended until April 

The risk to the top flight, as well as to UEFA, who have also postponed next week’s Champions League and Europa League fixtures, of not completing the current campaign could jeopardise billions of pounds in TV money, especially for the Premier League, whose losses could amount to as much as a staggering £750million.

One senior figure in broadcasting, who has not been named, has said: “The commercial reality for the Premier League and Uefa is that if they don’t complete their seasons then they are in breach of their broadcasting contracts.

“You would have broadcasters from all around the world saying, ‘In that case we are not paying for the season.’ For the Premier League alone you are talking around £3 billion income a year from overseas and domestic TV rights.

“There would also be financial implications if the competitions were squeezed, so fewer matches were played. Again, broadcasters have signed contracts for an agreed number of matches and so if those matches are not played then it could be argued that the contracts have been breached and compensation must be paid.”

During Friday’s meeting, it was Clarke who spoke about the possible financial troubles the Premier League would suffer from as a result of this suspension, as he said that he did not think that it was “feasible” that the season would reach its natural conclusion.

The Government has suggested that the coronavirus will not reach its peak in the UK until around mid-June - the time that Euro 2020, which looks in serious doubt - would just be getting under way.

With the Government believing that the virus is still some weeks away from reaching its peak, Clarke believes that there is simply not enough time for clubs to get their fixtures scheduled and played. 

It is claimed that Brighton & Hove Albion chief executive Paul Barber responded by questioning the wisdom of suspending matches only until the start of April if the situation is only going to worsen in the coming weeks and months that lie ahead.

The Premier League chief executive, Richard Masters, responded by saying that although he recognised the challenges that will lie ahead, should the peak of the coronavirus arrive in June, the temporary suspension would at least give them time to consider the potential consequences and debate the possible solutions.

Prior to the news breaking on Thursday evening that Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta had contracted COVID-19, the Premier League had confirmed that it was going to be business as usual this weekend, with a full fixture list being played out, as was the same case in the Championship, League One and League Two.

However, many clubs had already told Masters that they were in favour of a temporary suspension of matches. But Masters, in an email to clubs on Thursday evening, stressed that “contractual commitments” needed to be taken into consideration.

In a financial sense, the damage is set to be widespread. The upcoming weeks will hit the likes of Sky Sports and BT Sport hard, who, of course, depend heavily on live sport.

Insiders say that the channels will have already committed to production costs that will run into the millions, and they will also suffer a drop in advertising revenue and the likelihood is that a number of their subscribers may cancel their contracts.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-chiefs-premier-league-coronavirus-3949506

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

So, if the Premier League ended today and they called it as it stands, who would make your team of the season?

Mine has a few that have no chance of making the official team, but based purely on the games I have seen this season.

Foster (Watford)

Riccardo (Leicester)

Evans (Leicester)

Tarkowski (Burnley)

Jonny (Wolves)

De Bruyne (Man City)

Rodrigo (Man City)

Mahrez (Man City)

Vardy (Leicester)

Aubameyang (Arsenal)

Bench: 

Henderson (Sheff Utd)

Soyuncu (Leicester)

Grealish (Villa)

Ndidi (Leicester)

Firmino (Liverpool)

Ings (Southampton)

Mine would be 

Alison 

Trent 

Evans 

Van Dijk 

Robertson 

Ndidi 

De Bruyne 

Grealish 

Salah 

Vardy 

Mane

Edited by pmcla26

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Foster (Watford)

Riccardo (Leicester)

Evans (Leicester)

Tarkowski (Burnley)

Jonny (Wolves)

De Bruyne (Man City)

Rodrigo (Man City)

Mahrez (Man City)

Vardy (Leicester)

Aubameyang (Arsenal)

Bench: 

Henderson (Sheff Utd)

Soyuncu (Leicester)

Grealish (Villa)

Ndidi (Leicester)

Firmino (Liverpool)

Ings (Southampton)

One liverpool player after the season they've had lol

And I know I'm slightly contradicting myself here, but Firmino has had a poor season really, shouldn't be making the bench.

If West Ham were a point off fourth, rather than outside the relegation zone on goal difference with tough fixtures to come, she wouldn't want the season declared null and void.

Just self-interest.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

One liverpool player after the season they've had lol

And I know I'm slightly contradicting myself here, but Firmino has had a poor season really, shouldn't be making the bench.

Like I say I’ve based it on what I’ve seen this season, the only other Liverpool who possible should be in there is Trent over Riccardo, slightly biased as I’ve watched more of him and think he’s been amazing this season.

Obviously there are others like Van Dyke who is the best defender in the comp, I just haven’t seen him do anything special this season.

The players I have named I’ve seen be repeatedly brilliant every time I’ve seen them play.

I think we should just postpone the season until the peak is over. Play the remaining 9 or so games from July and start the new season late after another month off.

Scrap the Euros until 2021. Or, push the Nations League back/scrap the upcoming edition of it, and somehow integrate the Euros into next season's international breaks, seeing as it was going to be played all over the continent anyway.

The whole football world needs to come together to sort this out.  So difficult. 

There isn't any reason why this all has to be sorted out over the next 12 months, it could be sorted out over a few years.

I'm of the opinion that this season needs to be played to its conclusion for the sake of the integrity of the sport.  As of this weekend, there were 9 weeks left of the season. Let's say the players can get back to full training at the beginning of August.  Let the season resume in mid August and play out naturally which would finish mid-October.  Scrap the Euros.

Usually the close season is 12 weeks.  With all the time off over the summer, elite athletes should be able to cope with 8 weeks off and start the 20/21 season in December.  Then for that and the following 2 seasons, scrap the EFL cup for Prem teams and condense the season into 35 weeks instead of 40 and reduce the close season from 12 to 10 weeks.  By my calculations, the 22/23 season would finish in May 2023 and everything can go back to how it was in the good old days.

The big difficulty which I don't have a solution for is what happens in the short term with things like players' contracts that are up this July, and the immediate cash flow problems that lower league clubs will experience.

This is so shit. By rights we should all be pissed-up and bellowing One Nigel Pearson as Deeney knocks in their second right now.

The clip Sky showed of the Aston Villa bloke coming out of the meeting yesterday was hilarious. Basically doorstepped, jostled all the way to his taxi whilst microphones were shoved in his face from a short distance- all whilst we're being encouraged to avoid close contact and keep safe distances.