Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aussie-fox

similarities with 2000 (sunderland 5-2)

Recommended Posts

Not sure if its been mention yet but after that 3-0 win against vs arsenal all i can think about is the 2000 5-2 win vs sunderland at home.

 

I think the club is at a similar situation looking forward.

 

We have just seen how good this team can become, it is vital we keep hold of this team so we don't have a repeat of what happened that time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aussie-fox said:

Not sure if its been mention yet but after that 3-0 win against vs arsenal all i can think about is the 2000 5-2 win vs sunderland at home.

 

I think the club is at a similar situation looking forward.

 

We have just seen how good this team can become, it is vital we keep hold of this team so we don't have a repeat of what happened that time.

I had the same thought, after that game, in my mind we were in a position to really move forward. Within six months, Heskey and Lennon had been sold, Collymore had broken his leg and Martin had left for Celtic.

 

I firm believe if we can keep YT and add two quality players top 6 or is a really possibility.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't say that - by those rules

  • Vardy will get snapped up by Liverpool
  • Madders will let off a fire extinguisher
  • Rodgers will walk out to manage Kilmarnock and Madders will be booted out by his replacement
  • We rely on our over-priced Nigerian forward to replace the goals we lost and he lets us down consistently, seeing us relegated.

:plancque:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did us back then was MON going to Celtic, Rodgers is hardly likely to go anywhere soon.

 

We don't have Elsom running the club, we're not moving to a new stadium, expansion maybe, and we're not going to employ a manager famous for making Beckham Captain of England. Apart from that yes. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, davieG said:

What did us back then was MON going to Celtic, Rodgers is hardly likely to go anywhere soon.

 

We don't have Elsom running the club, we're not moving to a new stadium, expansion maybe, and we're not going to employ a manager famous for making Beckham Captain of England. Apart from that yes. :P

Players like maguire and chilwell are the mon in this situation. We need to keep them no matter what price is offered. 

 

Lose any of our regular 11 and we could be wondering what if all over again which is kind of silly as we have won the bloody leauge not too long ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, aussie-fox said:

Players like maguire and chilwell are the mon in this situation. We need to keep them no matter what price is offered. 

 

Lose any of our regular 11 and we could be wondering what if all over again which is kind of silly as we have won the bloody leauge not too long ago!

Probably more akin to losing Heskey but that isn't why we went down the shitter. We wasted the Heskey money on rubbish.

 

W'ere always going to lose players even the top 6 six lose them and players get old, sure it makes life difficult but we've lost Kante, Drinky and Mahrez in fact most of the PL Championship winning team has moved on or been replaced so we've come through that with some astute signings and this is what we need to continue to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunderland was one of the peaks from that 4 and a bit year golden era.

 

What's noticeable about that game was how many players we had 29 or older. 7 or so.

 

Yesterday we had about 6 players playing who were no older than 23. Along with Ricardo and Maguire. We only had one player in the same age bracket in Heskey v Sunderland.

 

We had a close shave in 2016/17 with the signings on a par with the worst of Taylor's. Eventually got through it. We're in a much stronger position now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Don't say that - by those rules

  • Vardy will get snapped up by Liverpool
  • Madders will let off a fire extinguisher
  • Rodgers will walk out to manage Kilmarnock and Madders will be booted out by his replacement
  • We rely on our over-priced Nigerian forward to replace the goals we lost and he lets us down consistently, seeing us relegated.

:plancque:

I genuinely lost my shit reading this and just spat out my coffee at my screen in laughter!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely. I missed our second goal against Sunderland as I was in the toilet, I missed our second goal yesterday as I was in the toilet.

 

Definite similarities.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big difference from that season is that we lost 0-3 at home to Arsenal :D

I have a vague recollection that it was actually an early kickoff as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely similar comparisons to the respective 'looking forward' eras 19 years apart - although having won the league three years ago then that is the obvious major difference between Sunderland at home in 2000 and now - whereas we'd stayed up with a midtable finish as relegation faves and won the League Cup three years prior to 2000 of course! Also Rodgers has come from Celtic to better himself, whereas O'Neill went the other way to supposedly better himself - the irony! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Woof said:

A big difference from that season is that we lost 0-3 at home to Arsenal :D

I have a vague recollection that it was actually an early kickoff as well

Yes, I think our nemesis Thierry Henry scored in that December fixture - and you're right, it was also an early KO - but on a Saturday!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Corky said:

Definitely. I missed our second goal against Sunderland as I was in the toilet, I missed our second goal yesterday as I was in the toilet.

 

Definite similarities.

Couldn't you hold on for 9minuteslol, been in the same position though tough decision to make luckily never missed a goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Guy said:

Yes, I think our nemesis Thierry Henry scored in that December fixture - and you're right, it was also an early KO - but on a Saturday!

Thierry Henry didn’t play in that game. Maybe getting mixed up with two seasons. 

 

He famously scored a hat trick in a 6-1 Boxing Day fixture with Leicester under Peter Taylor. Kicked off at 12 

 

Bloody Lee Dixon scored in that 3-0

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I had the same thought, after that game, in my mind we were in a position to really move forward. Within six months, Heskey and Lennon had been sold, Collymore had broken his leg and Martin had left for Celtic.

 

I firm believe if we can keep YT and add two quality players top 6 or is a really possibility.

I said the latter on here and pretty much got laughed at. Then I went on to say how I fanbase for future generations could grow, again laughed at.

 

Sometimes you've got to believe things can happen and they can happen. We are in such a good place right now its unbelievable. 

 

Best training ground in Europe coming, stadium extension coming. A young talented squad who's only going to get better with a young manager.

 

One Love

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting, because Arsenal are one of the top teams, but this reminded me that Sunderland actually had a very good season that year--they were up towards the top of the table before they went on a really bad run that included the 5-2 game.

 

However, I think yesterday reminded me more of the 2014-15 run in.

-The spirit around the team and the ground has picked up after a really poor midseason run had damaged everyone's confidence.

-We're really seeing that our players that are either younger or relatively unproven at this level can really play at a high standard (recall Mahrez having some excellent games, City fans calling for Vardy to get England caps when he finished the season with just 5 goals, along with good feelings about other first-year Prem players).

-Tielemans typically plays a different role than Cambiasso, but in him we have another midfield talisman who's time with City is due to end without a deal, and whose performances have got the fans purring with joy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Thierry Henry didn’t play in that game. Maybe getting mixed up with two seasons. 

 

He famously scored a hat trick in a 6-1 Boxing Day fixture with Leicester under Peter Taylor. Kicked off at 12 

 

Bloody Lee Dixon scored in that 3-0

Thanks for correcting me on the Henry matter. I was on the same song sheet re the season but although I went to that December 1999 fixture at home (early KO on Saturday), I didn't recall off the top of my head who scored, nor did I Google the facts earlier today so I was only guessing Henry would've been on the score sheet - as opposed to Lee Dixon! I know that it was three months before the 'main topic' Sunderland game in the March (2000) though ....and that it was still a decent season with us lifting the League Cup! Arsenal used to do us all the time back then - although we did them in the FA Cup that season of course! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Thierry Henry didn’t play in that game. Maybe getting mixed up with two seasons. 

 

He famously scored a hat trick in a 6-1 Boxing Day fixture with Leicester under Peter Taylor. Kicked off at 12 

 

Bloody Lee Dixon scored in that 3-0

Except that Henry "waltzed past Savage" during the game...

 

 

Edited by Footballwipe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Except that Henry "waltzed past Savage" during the game...

 

 

My bad. And apologies to @Guy

 

For some reason I remember the Boxing Day game being some watermark for Henry - possibly his first hat-trick of his career? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mind went straight to the Sunderland game after Saturday , which prompted me to recall other 'false dawns' I can remember, including beating Plymouth 4-0 in Sept 1987.

This was Jari Rantanen's third game and three days after we'd beaten Oldham 4-1, when he'd scored his first goal for us . His awesome physique and aerial power complimented Mike Newell's pace and skill perfectly and the side containing Russell Osman ,Steve Walsh , Ian Wilson, Alli Mauchlen and Gary McAllister seemed destined for a real promotion challenge .

Sadly, Wilson was sold immediately afterwards ,Rantanen got injured and only played another 10 times  ,we went 7 games without scoring in Nov/Dec, Brian Hamilton was sacked and replaced by David Pleat , need I say more .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...