Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

The Women's WC starts on June 7th in Paris and apparently England are 4th favorites.

They've got Scotland, Argentina & Japan in their group, so....

Not sure if I'll bother watching any of it but if anyone's got anything to say on the matter, stuff it in here I suppose.

Edited by davieG
Title edited

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I was at an England women's game as duty paramedic when they played Brazil. It was very dull. More men's league 2 standard.

It's nowhere near that standard - some of the best female teams in the World have been defeated by US and Australian kids teams.

As a Canadian, our women's team is the top football story. Ask anyone who's the greatest Canadian footballer(probably best to just say soccer) and the answer will always be Christine Sinclair. 181 goals internationally.

Of course id love to see a Canada/England final.

• Like 1

Might try and catch the England games, but I won't go out my way, and I certainly won't be watching random games between countries I'd never give a second thought too like I would for the mens world cup.

Be nice if England win though, and I'll celebrate like I've always been a huge fan if we do. lol

Edited by Facecloth
  • Haha 1

I'll be watching when I can, football is football after all and our season will be a month gone with another 2 to go til next season by then.

Quite enjoyed the England games during the last world cup. As said though games between random teams will be on in the background, at best.

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

As a Canadian, our women's team is the top football story. Ask anyone who's the greatest Canadian footballer(probably best to just say soccer) and the answer will always be Christine Sinclair. 181 goals internationally.

Of course id love to see a Canada/England final.

Def sinclair. Did i ever tell you i saw kara lang here in milton at a kids play place. Think i did. Meeeoooooowww.

As for the footy, only a handful of nations worthy of watching but even then if i happen to see it on the tube will watch. Not making plans to watch right  now

• Like 1

Yes, I’m American.  One of our teams   USMNT.JPG.ab4bd7538d48c62ca6c3cf6eb1f353d1.JPG   sucks.  Our other team   USWNT.JPG.39be298d5cb2a4693fe47f9c619ca130.JPG   is the favorite.

But that goes back to the 1990s, when every player on our womens team could trap and control a ball and thread a smart pass.  The men were faster and stronger but skills-wise … talk about League Two standard.

By far our best players were on the womens side.  And Mia Hamm was a minor sex symbol who pumped in the goals.  Winger Megan Rapinoe, bless her lesbian soul, is my favorite current US player.  Demarai Gray would destroy her in a sprint, but she can outpass him by a factor of 10:1.

So we will avidly watch the Womens World Cup knockout rounds.  When it comes to paying to attend, we do swerve the womens team.  There’s a mens CONCACAF cup “grudge match” coming up against Trinidad & Tobago (who knocked us out of the World Cup) and we will go.

How would you feel about the England mens team if it needed revenge against ****ing Trinidad?  You might save some cheers for your fourth-favorites with breasts.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

By far our best players were on the womens side.  And Mia Hamm was a minor sex symbol who pumped in the goals.  Winger Megan Rapinoe, bless her lesbian soul, is my favorite current US player.  Demarai Gray would destroy her in a sprint, but she can outpass him by a factor of 10:1.

Always impressed when I see Rapinoe play. 

im gonna watch quite a few games. not because i think it will be good but because i want to see if i can get into it, and if not, ill have plenty of ammunition to support my argument thats its shit

• Like 1

While I'm very happy that the USWNT is clicking at the right time, I have a funny feeling that this tournament will be one for the European teams. England should notch up some wins in their group and roll up to the knockout rounds with momentum, and I think a strong German team has a straightforward path to the semifinals, but I have a hunch France will make their big breakthrough at home and win it all. 

I would actually go as far as to say our women's national team is one of the few non-military things that have a broad consensus of admiration in the USA, behind perhaps only Oprah Winfrey, the Backstreet Boys, and athleisure clothing.

Edit: I think the Netherlands and Australia are good outside bets.

Edited by Jordan

Probably get more attention (collectively) and from myself later in the competition. I'll watch England games if I can in the groups but other games don't bother me as much.

Good luck to the England team though! Women's football is growing and it's definitely getting more publicity and airtime in the last couple of years. The investment in to the game is growing too so I wouldn't be surprised to see the teams become better and (hopefully) the standard increase now. Right now whenever I've watched games it's a bit lethargic and slow and the standard is genuinely sometimes what you see on a park in a Sunday league game with the occasional bit of brilliance thrown in.

Fair play, the women's game needs to be promoted to grow and this world cup seems to be the biggest one ever.

It undermines things somewhat when BBC know they are trying to trick people with clickbait headlines like 'Barcelona sign England star'.

Bit like having the headline 'Maguire signs for Spurs' when its some basketball player called Maguire signing for San Antonio Spurs.