Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

Guest MattP

Copa America will cost you 9.99 on Prem sports and that's the second best football tournament in the World. 

Problem solved if you need football over the summer.

15 hours ago, somebum said:

No matter how much they push this crap in the faces of the pussy whipped, soy eating pc west, no thanks. 

Things were so much better in the good old days, weren't they?

Speaking about the tournament itself, I might watch some of it if England do well but it doesn't hold my personal interest all that much - but I don't get the antipathy as opposed to apathy it comes in for every time a tournament like this comes round.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Copa America will cost you 9.99 on Prem sports and that's the second best football tournament in the World. 

Problem solved if you need football over the summer.

Apparently you can time it so that you use a 30 day trial 

2 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Friendly today with the Danes, for those who want to get their pre tournament hype on. Which based on this thread, I can tell is mostly everyone here.

It's a shame the pitch is cwap.

EDIT: 1-0 England.  The Danes had a goal disallowed for handball that might not have been correct.

Make that 2-0 England :)

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Like 1

Guest MattP
3 hours ago, AjcW said:

This is what all of the 'shoving it in my face' from the BBC is actually all about, it's not aimed at the stone washed denim middle aged man fart stinkers... it's aimed at young girls, in the hope that in ten years time there'll be a much larger pool of talent to choose from

That's fine, but when the BBC loses its right to collect what funds it because those middle aged men won't pay the license fee anymore, just remember this.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

That's fine, but when the BBC loses its right to collect what funds it because those middle aged men won't pay the license fee anymore, just remember this.

Never fail to deliver lol 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

One sporting event by a national broadcaster not directed at a particular demographic and that demographic then feels ostracised to the point it doesn't have to pay the licence fee for that broadcaster any more?

Interesting.

I enjoy watching Womens' football, and applaud the BBC's coverage. Football is - or should be - a completely inclusive game, that takes many forms. Part of its beauty, I'd have thought.

So I find it disappointing that many on here resort to a kind of lazy stereotyping and elitism that tends to a default sneering. Pretty tiresome.

Agree about J Pearce though. His eagerness to display his knowledge of the women's game often derails his commentary. And the clunky 'humour' with Sue Smith is, frankly, embarrassing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I enjoy watching Womens' football, and applaud the BBC's coverage. Football is - or should be - a completely inclusive game, that takes many forms. Part of its beauty, I'd have thought.

So I find it disappointing that many on here resort to a kind of lazy stereotyping and elitism that tends to a default sneering. Pretty tiresome.

Agree about J Pearce though. His eagerness to display his knowledge of the women's game often derails his commentary. And the clunky 'humour' with Sue Smith is, frankly, embarrassing.

Had to turn it off yesterday when he said he had his mankini ready for their stint in the south of France. Way too much cringe factor.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2019 at 12:04, somebum said:

No matter how much they push this crap in the faces of the pussy whipped, soy eating pc west, no thanks. 

21 hours ago, MattP said:

OMFG, the weaker sex are playing organized football?  That will use up one of my 99 options for watching sports.  I’ll have to watch a 30-second promo or change the channel !! The world as we know it has ended !!

snowflake1.JPG.91a0be8aceda14d307e88b0b167c72e7.JPG

Now you'll come back and tell me I'm a "snowflake"   lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KingsX said:

OMFG, the weaker sex are playing organized football?  That will use up one of my 99 options for watching sports.  I’ll have to watch a 30-second promo or change the channel !! The world as we know it has ended !!

snowflake1.JPG.91a0be8aceda14d307e88b0b167c72e7.JPG

Now you'll come back and tell me I'm a "snowflake"   lol

Erm, no, I don't know you, but you do seem a little self important haha

Neville Out

Lost 1 nil to New Zealand 

New Zealand, known as the Football Ferns, have been to five Women's World Cups but are yet to win a game. 

Ranked 19th in the world, they come into this year's tournament rejuvenated after a tough period off the pitch, which ended with manager Andreas Heraf leaving amid accusations of bullying.

Now under the guidance of Scotland-born Tom Sermanni, they've won two of their three warm-up matches so far - against Norway and Mexico. However, they were heavily beaten 5-0 in the other one against the world's number one side the USA.

End of the day you can't begrudge pushing it, is nice because I imagine women's football is pretty low on the food chain in terms of women competing with men sports wise if you get my drift, with probably women's tennis being the most popular women's game? I think it's win win for BBC, they can't compete with sky, itv & bt for coverage of mens game especially when it comes to analysis too they're head and shoulders behind, makes sense for them to get a bit of a monopoly on the women's game while cashing in on the good PR, I'll be fascinated to see the viewing figures oompared to the last one. The timing of the tournament seems harsh too, usually it feels like there's an absence of men's football and gives them a platform to shine but this summer they're competing with the Copa America, African Cup of Nations, Gold Cup & The Nations League.

Little bit off topic, but I've been watching that daft Sullivan documentary on the beeb about running a women's football club, and I think he said it was like £15 for a season ticket, with the prices of tickets only going up and a more middle class demographic could you see more people switching to the women's game or is it more likely they go grass roots football? Interesting to think about, you'd have to say there's a lot of potential growth

I will probably watch a couple of the England games.

There are a vast number of sports where the women’s version has grown alongside the men’s and isn’t as fast, physical or technical and yet they don’t receive anything like the dismissive comments women footballers get.

When did you last hear a female track and field athlete get written off as second rate because her time or distance wasn’t comparable to a man.

Accept it for what it is and stop putting it down. 

23 minutes ago, Livid said:

I will probably watch a couple of the England games.

There are a vast number of sports where the women’s version has grown alongside the men’s and isn’t as fast, physical or technical and yet they don’t receive anything like the dismissive comments women footballers get.

When did you last hear a female track and field athlete get written off as second rate because her time or distance wasn’t comparable to a man.

Accept it for what it is and stop putting it down. 

People don't constantly try and compare male and female track and field athletes though. Nobody would list the fastest 100m runners of all time and put a the fastest woman in whatever position she'd come. The greatest male athlete isn't compared directly to the greatest female athlete. This is starting to occur a lot in football and tennis, especially if the stat favours a woman. I often hear Fara Williams cited as the most capped England player of all time. She isn't. Shes the most capped female England player, and Shilton is the most capped male. Quantify them like that and it's fine, but don't lump them together, they aren't the same, they are different teams and don't compete with or along side each other. I saw Ben Davies asked yesterday to name the six Welsh players who'd won the champions league. Two were women, so it's not the same one hes played for last night, so they haven't all won the same trophy.

I know it might sound trivial, but I can't be doing with the lumping together, and as someone mentioned earlier the trick click bait headlines like "Barca sign England star." 

I'll probably watch some of the world cup, I don't and haven't criticised the players and I accept the sport for what it is, I just wish the people trying to sell it to me would do the same.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

People don't constantly try and compare male and female track and field athletes though. Nobody would list the fastest 100m runners of all time and put a the fastest woman in whatever position she'd come. The greatest male athlete isn't compared directly to the greatest female athlete. This is starting to occur a lot in football and tennis, especially if the stat favours a woman. I often hear Fara Williams cited as the most capped England player of all time. She isn't. Shes the most capped female England player, and Shilton is the most capped male. Quantify them like that and it's fine, but don't lump them together, they aren't the same, they are different teams and don't compete with or along side each other. I saw Ben Davies asked yesterday to name the six Welsh players who'd won the champions league. Two were women, so it's not the same one hes played for last night, so they haven't all won the same trophy.

I know it might sound trivial, but I can't be doing with the lumping together, and as someone mentioned earlier the trick click bait headlines like "Barca sign England star." 

I'll probably watch some of the world cup, I don't and haven't criticised the players and I accept the sport for what it is, I just wish the people trying to sell it to me would do the same.

Not forgetting the Women England players are now asking salary equality if they get the same attendances as the Men's England team, as far as I can see, yes they are getting decent gates but they're not charging anything like the same prices.

I shall watch some of it and I do watch it when I can but like you say the whole thing is not like for like well not anywhere near so far.

The only thing that seems to be going the same way is the big PL clubs are taking over the women's top leagues yet a few years ago had no interest at all. Where were they when teams like the Doncaster Belles were founded in the 60s