1 hour ago, Buce said:

Bless you, Peaky, but that puts you in a very select group... lol

How much do you think he would have fetched without the clause in his contract?

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Ordinarily we wouldn't have sold for less than £50 million. Chelsea got a bargain. Of course this is all relatively speaking.

Fortunately our stance has hardened and we're now getting great fees for our big players.

Exactly - they got a bargain. That's very far from 'stolen' :) 

As for being of a minority opinion, nobody should ever be afraid of that.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Exactly - they got a bargain. That's very far from 'stolen' :) 

Semantics, Peaky.

If one is forced unwillingly to part with something for less than its value, I think one has the right to feel 'robbed'.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Semantics, Peaky.

If one is forced unwillingly to part with something for less than its value, I think one has the right to feel 'robbed'.

Not if one set a too low release clause... listen we sold then Drinkwater for more ffs, swings and roundabouts.

On 01/03/2021 at 22:44, fox in the sox said:

What’s the point of keep getting in the Europa League if we can’t cope with it?

In a non condensed, non Covid season where two thirds of the squad have been injured, we'd probably cope fine. And the more often we can qualify for Europe, the better quality of signing we can attract. Which enables us to rotate more and then compete more aggressively in all competitions. 

Unfortunately, this season our situation means it's been very difficult. 

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 02/03/2021 at 12:15, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Barring a catastrophic collapse, like last season, I would still be happy with 5th or 6th.  For a club like ours it has proved to be quite detrimental to have a season in the Europa but league forms suffers, so if we were to make it again that would be a great achievement.

Would love CL football and I am not being defeatist but more of a realist; we could gradually improve our squad each season.  The only problem is if we lose BR or again a major player every summer.

Do think we need to spend in the summer though. 

...we have little room to spend this coming summer!!!

If we can negotiate our way through free transfers and develop the squad then great. As for finishing 5th or 6th, just imagine if our players are thinking on those lines.

You can't afford to not look forward, for as soon as you start to expect less, you get less.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MPH said:

That would be nothing short of amazing!

Brendan said all along that he would be out for six weeks and was expected back into training late April for the may run in ....with a small chance of making a game end April 

34 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Would rather him take his time and heal properly than get back a little too quickly and potentially sabotage himself next season. I think if Maddison can come back, we should be able to cope for the time being.

Agree - the system we are playing at the moment is more reliant on either Perez or Maddison in that creative role, rather that the need for a winger. I really rate Barnes, but like you said, ease him back gently, even as an impact sub, for the last 20 minutes if things aren't going our way.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

All very true, but instead of finding a Crystal Palace he joined a team that won the Premier League. I always felt he could have given us just one more season. He had the security of the release clause if anything went wrong.

The title winning team all get a free pass as far as I’m concerned. That’s why I’m not bothered about hanging on to every quote from Mahrez - but Kante has tarnished his legacy somewhat by jumping at the very first opportunity. It’s only the difference between being a Leicester great rather than a greatest ever, but it’s still there and still grates a little. 

Would we have landed Ndidi with Kante still in the team?

He never had any intention of hanging around, but, bloomin’ heck he was good when he was here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think the best way to get barnes in to this system is to play him in one of the 2 up top positions, it's the only place he could really play and I don't see a reason to change the system until we endure a few hiccups or personel problems then he can slot in to his natural wing position. 

Yeah this is my thinking, 20 mins at the end for either Vardy or Nacho will give us that freshness at the end of games, he may be available for 3-5 games. 

22 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think the best way to get barnes in to this system is to play him in one of the 2 up top positions, it's the only place he could really play and I don't see a reason to change the system until we endure a few hiccups or personel problems then he can slot in to his natural wing position. 

Problem with playing Barnes further forward is you tend to lose one of his great strengths and something no one else can do in the squad and thats getting the ball deep powering forward and beating players.

We're going along nicely so I don't see any reason to rush him back. Which is nearly always a mistake. 

He'll need time to regain confidence in the Knee and get up to speed also. So if he's not needed then I'd give him the time.

I'm sure he will be working hard in the GYM. But it's not quite the same as playing.

With the importance of the upcoming games, We need everyone 100 %. 

Let's just hope we have top 4 secured by May, then to give him all the game time he needs..

• Like 1

The way Vardy plays in this 3412 system he is normally operating in the forward left position, receiving the ball and trying to set up Iheanacho. Could definitely see Barnes operating similarly in that position. Then once Barnes is fully fit again we have the option to rotate systems really effectively depending on opposition/personnel. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Accordingly to my calculations tomorrow is 6 weeks since the op which was the initial time frame Rodgers put on him being back in training, hopefully we'll hear more at the presser and he isn't too far away! 

Interesting that Vardy hasn't scored since Barnes has been injured. 

• Like 1

HB’s is going to be the biggest headache for Brendan. 

his inclusion means a change of formation. A decision on which 2 cbs to play. A decision on how to use iheanacho. 

I’ve gone from desperate to have him back, to happy to wait. Especially given what’s gone on 

• Like 2