On 18/12/2019 at 01:37, jeffschlupp said:

I like Barnes, and as a Leicestershire lad I am desperate for him to do well as we all are.

His downfall is for me the complete opposite of Gray - whereas Demarai struggles with making the right decision, Barnes doesn't get himself in the right positions half the time to make up for his lack of finesse for his young age.

Every time we get the ball down the left Barnes is stood between the centre back and the full back like a 'left striker' rather than a winger. When he does drop deep it never goes anywhere. Watch Perez on the other side make runs, drift inside, drop deep, push to the byline etc. - it's a different world.

If you sit so far up the pitch waiting for the ball to come to you, first it ain't gonna get there, and second you completely stunt the main asset of your full-back in mazy runs on the overlap, because he's got no one inside to play the one-two with.

All we end up with is Maddison trying to compensate for that, getting dragged wide rather than being the extra man in the centre, and then attacks break down when Wilf has to push up into the space.

This is the Pérez who has been playing in top leagues for 5 or 6 years. Compared to Barnes who is in his first full season. What’s the difference...🤔

4 hours ago, adam95581 said:

This is the Pérez who has been playing in top leagues for 5 or 6 years. Compared to Barnes who is in his first full season. What’s the difference...🤔

Where in that post did I comment on the reasons for his bad positioning? I'm simply stating what his biggest problem is, in my opinion...

There's alot of drivel in here. First full season in the prem and he's helped propel the team into 2nd place at Christmas.

I'd be worried if there wasn't room for improvement. But the boy is special, so dangerous on the ball and his finishing will improve. He's a huge player for us who's only gonna get better. Get behind the lad, he'll be another England international soon.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, RobHawk said:

There's alot of drivel in here. First full season in the prem and he's helped propel the team into 2nd place at Christmas.

I'd be worried if there wasn't room for improvement. But the boy is special, so dangerous on the ball and his finishing will improve. He's a huge player for us who's only gonna get better. Get behind the lad, he'll be another England international soon.

I fully believe that had he put away the majority of his chances last season and this season he'd be very close or if not already in the England team.

Yes he was great for our goal but he's also been sh it defensively and hasn't been offering any help to Chilwell. The reason Mahrez is killing us is because he has acres of space and time, which is why Chilwell needs help from Barnes but Barnes is playing centre midfield!

• Like 1
On 20/12/2019 at 13:55, Leicester_Loyal said:

We do need a world class winger but there's no way the lad should be binned off. Some of you are mad! It'll be Albrighton who makes way for the new signing.

Which is nonsensical.

Barnes deserves a little leeway because he's young and clearly does have some potential. In fact as frustrating as he is he's contributed a lot this season.

Gray and Perez do not have that excuse for their inconsistency (and I'm being kind to Perez there, who is consistently poor) but Albrighton doesn't need an excuse because he's been consistently good for 5 years. Even in cameos this season he's looked better than Perez.

3 minutes ago, Anish said:

Yes he was great for our goal but he's also been sh it defensively and hasn't been offering any help to Chilwell. The reason Mahrez is killing us is because he has acres of space and time, which is why Chilwell needs help from Barnes but Barnes is playing centre midfield!

Exactly the same level of protection as Perez though who's taken every opportunity to have a lie down for a mid game nap.

On 18/12/2019 at 16:23, Gerard said:

What was Mahrez doing at the same age in the 2011/12 season?

Played 9 scored 0 for Le Havre in Ligue 2. 

Barnes is quality and has assisted more than anyone in this team and is finding his feet in his first year of PL football, I'm not sure what people expect from our player to be honest. 

I will be honest I dont get your post.

Are you trying to say we can carry developing players, and why would I care how Mahrez was doing for another team?

Also who has said he has no quality or moaned about his assists?

Your post smacks of "must defend this guy".

As I said before some people seem to get too attached to players.  Another posted replied to me saying they been tracking Barnes from a young age, that is fine, but it kind off shows if you following players for several years you can get attached to them.

To answer your question I expect him to stick what he is best at, the assists.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1