1 hour ago, martyn said:

I never understand comments like this.

For Nacho to bury those chances, he'd have to get into the position in the first place. The first chance Nacho wouldn't have the dynamism to burst past the defender, the 2nd chance he'd have to be sprinting from deep, no guarantee he'd get into a position where the chance is as good.

Nacho is a much better finisher than Barnes, you'd be mad to have a different opinion, however, i doubt we'd have been running Sheff Utd into the ground as much as we did without the Barnes, Vardy, Perez trio yesterday, they all put massive shifts in and helped make the game appear very stretched when we were attacking.

Barnes has a lot of raw tools. He actually has a decent technique (see pre assist v Arsenal and  assist v Man City for examples), but he struggles to control that technique when he's moving at pace. A pre season of constant practice of his technique, whilst moving at pace, will elevate his game i'm sure.

Because he should’ve played Nacho instead of Barnes. Like I said, I like Harvey, but he was shite yesterday and hasn’t done anything of late apart from a good 10 mins against Palace to warrant starting over an inform Kelechi. 

The game would’ve been done and dusted at half time, you say ‘yeah but he needs to have Barnes’ pace to be in those positions’ - he doesn’t because he already knows where the balls gonna go in the box. Look at the one where Vardy had one saved by Henderson’s foot in the first half and the defender cleared, Nacho would’ve most likely been on his toes and got in front of the man to poke it home. 

Maybe I’m not seeing something but I do think Barnes had a very poor game yesterday, I’m just fed up of seeing him shoot straight at the keeper when it’s easier to put the ball either side of him. Gray only needed one chance when he came on and it was arguably a harder one to finish than the several of Barnes’ chances that he spurned. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AjcW said:

Honestly amazed by some of the comments still. 

He came on against Palace and took it from a meh 1-0 to a comfortable 3-0.... then he disappears and we’re less creative and a bit shit for two games. Comes back tonight and yet again we’re creating chances left right and centre.

Yes the misses are annoying but he’s added so much more in both of those games! 

As for the Nacho situation. Yes no idea what’s going on there, you have to assume something must have happened. Personally it’s Perez position he takes for me with Barnes in the hole. 

Nacho Pérez and Vardy is our best front 3 all day long, no way Barnes should start over any of them on current form. 

16 hours ago, moore_94 said:

This one really annoyed me in todays game

image.png.6de28e6e8d7d6758d09147a835254a49.png

The entire left side of the goal is free and Henderson is already leaning to the right, and he still manages to hit it straight at him

The positioning of his feet are all wrong here. For what he was trying to do, he has to open up his body more to bend it in. The only thing I'll say is that how bad Henderson's positioning was, it may have put him off, with him thinking "sh*t there's a massive gap in the other corner" and it's made him get it all wrong.

Barnes reminds me of Raheem Sterling when Rodgers managed him. Had everything but finishing ability. Night and day watching Sterling finish now but he'll never be a natural finisher. Like Sterling Barnes will have to work his ass off to get to that level. Natural finishing ability is a gift. Ask Vardy.

10 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Barnes reminds me of Raheem Sterling when Rodgers managed him. Had everything but finishing ability. Night and day watching Sterling finish now but he'll never be a natural finisher. Like Sterling Barnes will have to work his ass off to get to that level. Natural finishing ability is a gift. Ask Vardy.

Good comparison, they also run similarly with jazz hands.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Interesting this, shows the expected goal contributions of u23 players. Barnes is positioned quite well compared to other players. Hopefully he can kick on next year.

Any idea who our unnamed mystery player over on the left is? I can only think of Tielemans who fits the age + minutes criteria but I'm sure I'm forgetting someone

Barnes first full season in the prem he did well, but yes the amount of chances he missed is disappointing! If he approves his finishes by 10% he doubles his goal scoring stats! 8 assists again next year is good and hopefully 8-10 goals I’d be happy with! A new winger needs to do the same on the other side!

57 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Vardy matured as a player and became more prolific playing in the squad and then being mentored and coached by Kevin Philips.

Harvey needs a Cottee, Speedy, Philips, Lineker, Dickov type to do a bit of one on one mentoring.

Iheanacho needs a Smudger, Heskey, Roberts or Ullua type to kick his ass

Barnes is largely in his own head tbh. Whoever works with him needs to find a way of getting him to calm down and think about where he's finishing. 

Given room to pick a spot from fifteen yards he clearly strikes a ball pretty well but as soon as he's one on one in front of the keeper he just panics and his it straight at him. 

Clearly a rough diamond but gets in the right positions and if his chance conversion improves, then he'll become pretty prolific. 

It's more that he goes missing during large spells that bothers me. Again, as to be expected at his age, but a bit more resilience and bravery when things aren't going so well is more what I want to see.

I'm hoping there will be a point next season where it clicks, he bags a load of goals and this team really starts to trust him and get him on the ball. I thought when he got those two against Villa after netting a few that month he would kick on but obviously the break in then season put a stop to that.