Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Getting Bored Now...?!!

It's frustrating but I think it's pretty obvious what's going on. Tielemans is our number one priority and the player we will happily spend the majority of our transfer budget on. But the player though happy to join would prefer to join Manchester United (and maybe Tottenham) instead of us if they come calling. Thus we are waiting to resolve that transfer one way or another before getting anyone else. The James Justin deal might go through if he's cheap enough but at 10m asking price, we are probably waiting to see how much more we need to add onto the Tielemans offer first. We probably do have another player in mind in case the Youri deal goes south, but are hoping that never transpires.

Our problem then is that Man United are probably interested but need to sort out their own transfers first. It's rumoured they are going to sign Bruno Fernandes from Sporting. If they do, I think that will clear the decks for us to swoop for Tielemans, but if another club (Liverpool, Man City, someone else) swipes Fernandes first, then I think they will go for YT instead.

So sadly it's all about playing the waiting game and hoping! :fc:

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's frustrating but I think it's pretty obvious what's going on. Tielemans is our number one priority and the player we will happily spend the majority of our transfer budget on. But the player though happy to join would prefer to join Manchester United (and maybe Tottenham) instead of us if they come calling. Thus we are waiting to resolve that transfer one way or another before getting anyone else. The James Justin deal might go through if he's cheap enough but at 10m asking price, we are probably waiting to see how much more we need to add onto the Tielemans offer first. We probably do have another player in mind in case the Youri deal goes south, but are hoping that never transpires.

Our problem then is that Man United are probably interested but need to sort out their own transfers first. It's rumoured they are going to sign Bruno Fernandes from Sporting. If they do, I think that will clear the decks for us to swoop for Tielemans, but if another club (Liverpool, Man City, someone else) swipes Fernandes first, then I think they will go for YT instead.

So sadly it's all about playing the waiting game and hoping! :fc:

All the more reason we need to " engineer " Maguire out for anything north of £60m, I think we need the money.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

All the more reason we need to " engineer " Maguire out for anything north of £60m, I think we need the money.

We actually could do with hiring a legion of engineers armed with chainsaws to move out our Amazonian Forest of deadwood.  Slimani being the first tree that needs felling.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Possibly, it depends on what we want to spend the money on. I would imagine that Monaco and Tielemans agent want to create a bidding war to drive up the transfer fee, wages on offer and signing on bonus for the player which is the agent's job to do. So if we threw 60m at Monaco maybe we could just sign Tielemans now? But if that's an additional 20m or so we have to pay, and that's money we can't use for other transfers. After getting fleeced by Sporting for 50m+ for two players who have done nothing for us, I think it's probably a sign of learning from our lessons that we now drive hard bargains for our own players like Mahrez and don't spend over the odds on players coming in. Though that second point is hard for me to argue given fees like Soyuncu 22m, Ward 12m, Ghezall 12.5m. 

But I do appreciate your point. Let's say we sold Maguire but brought in Tielemans, and a top winger like Neres / Bailey / Malcom (which I can't see happening, but just using these players to make my point), then I think we'd overall have a better team even if we would be slightly weaker at the back until Benkovic / Soyuncu get up to speed. And team balance is super important as we found out in 15/16. 

At the same time though, keeping hold of all our players could be much more important long term. Spurs only lost Kyle Walker from their first team and managed to keep hold of Eriksen, Kane, Alli, etc and reached a Champions League Final. It's important not to become a selling club if we truly want to be a team regularly playing in Europe.

In summary I have no idea what we should or shouldn't do and am glad that I don't have to take any such decisions!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Possibly, it depends on what we want to spend the money on. I would imagine that Monaco and Tielemans agent want to create a bidding war to drive up the transfer fee, wages on offer and signing on bonus for the player which is the agent's job to do. So if we threw 60m at Monaco maybe we could just sign Tielemans now? But if that's an additional 20m or so we have to pay, and that's money we can't use for other transfers. After getting fleeced by Sporting for 50m+ for two players who have done nothing for us, I think it's probably a sign of learning from our lessons that we now drive hard bargains for our own players like Mahrez and don't spend over the odds on players coming in. Though that second point is hard for me to argue given fees like Soyuncu 22m, Ward 12m, Ghezall 12.5m. 

But I do appreciate your point. Let's say we sold Maguire but brought in Tielemans, and a top winger like Neres / Bailey / Malcom (which I can't see happening, but just using these players to make my point), then I think we'd overall have a better team even if we would be slightly weaker at the back until Benkovic / Soyuncu get up to speed. And team balance is super important as we found out in 15/16. 

At the same time though, keeping hold of all our players could be much more important long term. Spurs only lost Kyle Walker from their first team and managed to keep hold of Eriksen, Kane, Alli, etc and reached a Champions League Final. It's important not to become a selling club if we truly want to be a team regularly playing in Europe.

In summary I have no idea what we should or shouldn't do and am glad that I don't have to take any such decisions!

It's still possible to keep Maguire, get Tielemans and then from astute recruitment sign an unproven or out of favour winger and striker that excel with us for only several million. It's not easy, but it's possible. Over to you Lee Congerton……… :huh:

Part of me wonders whether we still scout unproven players like we would have done under Pearson when we got the likes of Knockaert, Mahrez and were in for Kante. It feels like we can't take the risk on players like that anymore.

• Like 1

It's frustrating but guess it will be worth the wait if we are able to get our targets rather than panic buying. Apart from utd trying to sign every player under the sun, theres not much going on in the prem so presume it just needs a big transfer like pogba to really get it going and everyone getting back off their holidays 

38 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's still possible to keep Maguire, get Tielemans and then from astute recruitment sign an unproven or out of favour winger and striker that excel with us for only several million. It's not easy, but it's possible. Over to you Lee Congerton……… :huh:

Part of me wonders whether we still scout unproven players like we would have done under Pearson when we got the likes of Knockaert, Mahrez and were in for Kante. It feels like we can't take the risk on players like that anymore.

The likes of Mahrez and Knocky probably not, as these were signings made on watching the player in action and deciding they had the talent to make it. Kante type signings absolutely. He was signed as a combination of ridiculous stats and watching him in action. I am sure after Walsh was told about his stats but saw his physical profile he made it his job to look at the player to see how exactly a diminutive Malian / French man could put up those sort of numbers. Then after seeing him in action after probably two games, I expect he knew he was the real deal! I believe he was incredibly excited about the player but had to convince Ranieri to sanction the move! A stroke of genius from our scouting team for sure there.

Harvey Barnes actually is a good example of the type of player that we might end up signing even though we already have him. His Premier League numbers at first glance suggest an average at best player, but if you look at his expected goals, runs into the box, dribbles per 90, etc plus his stats at a lower level and his age, he'd probably rank quite highly as a promising player. It's why all LCFC fans are very excited by him and why he has been signed on until 2024. I could see that type of signing coming in to the club quite frequently.  

• Like 1

Some perspective I think. Would you want to be interrupted when on your 2 week holiday abroad with constant calls and messages with work. Let the staff have their break. July is when it ramps up and preseason begins. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bpfox said:

i can see this window going the same as all the rest , we will get stuff all until the last second, and it will not be what the fans want.

But in all other windows we have already signed several players we did want, it was only the summer after 15/16 that was awful. 

2 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Some perspective I think. Would you want to be interrupted when on your 2 week holiday abroad with constant calls and messages with work. Let the staff have their break. July is when it ramps up and preseason begins. 

For what they get paid per week, then yes. They want to be paid the extortionate amounts of money, they should be prepared to review and sign a contract wherever they are...even when taking a dump if needed. 

Question for everyone.

How many Premier League signings have actually been completed so far? :ph34r:

The answer is 7...

Of those 7 only 5 have completed permanent signing

And of the 5 only 3 have spent money on players

CHILL OUT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cujek said:

I am reliably informed our DOF is currently in Madrid.

Griezman? Bale

Lot of good players available at real like cabellos, mariano, llorente, vallejo, odegaard and even rodrygo on loan. athletico have some great players and we have previously linked with djene at getafe. 

4 hours ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Lot of good players available at real like cabellos, mariano, llorente, vallejo, odegaard and even rodrygo on loan. athletico have some great players and we have previously linked with djene at getafe. 

Odegaard would be worth a gamble. I think he’d come at a snip of what’ve Real paid for him but there would 100% be a buy-back clause. For someone like him, if we had 2 good seasons out of him and made a profit, it’d be worth it. Or it could be Kelechi MkII. 

• Like 1