Jump to content
Bert

Games moved for TV 2019/20

Recommended Posts

Ultimately if we have a longer rest between games it has little bearing on how we should perform.

 

Professional athletes paid millions of pounds per year, they can cope with this as long as they have the right positive mindset.

 

If we play awful and lose to west ham it won't be down to the short rest time at all, it will be down to bad mental attitudes, or just an off day which can happen for any team like Man City losing to Norwich.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maddog said:

Ultimately if we have a longer rest between games it has little bearing on how we should perform.

 

Professional athletes paid millions of pounds per year, they can cope with this as long as they have the right positive mindset.

 

If we play awful and lose to west ham it won't be down to the short rest time at all, it will be down to bad mental attitudes, or just an off day which can happen for any team like Man City losing to Norwich.

That's not fully how things work though, is it? And irrelevant of the money they're paid.

 

You can be as positive as you like, but if your body is fatigued, you aren't going to perform to your best. At the elite level, even small differences can have a big impact on outcomes. 

 

If we play badly at West ham it could hugely be due to the short rest period. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, reynard said:

Frankly a disgrace that Amazon have been allowed anywhere near any sporting event. Really hope people boycott them and they never want to get involved again.

Premier league is so rich yet they had to offer this package twice as far as I recall. Just imagine the goodwill they could have got if they had given the rights to boxing day fixtures to terrestrial TV so millions could have watched the matches without having to pay even more and without having to pay even more money to Amazon.

8pm kick offf on Boxing Day is just a disgrace.

On the whole their tennis coverage is growing on me. It does struggle at times though with buffering issues. I can’t imagine as many people are watching the tennis as will watch the football (especially as it’s also broadcast on tennistv too), so yeah, it doesn’t bode well... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I was wondering why there was such a page spike lolalso what's with the 7:30 kick off times? Never seen them before.

7.30 kick off times used to be the norm in the 1970's and 60's looks like we are going back to them

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maddog said:

Ultimately if we have a longer rest between games it has little bearing on how we should perform.

 

Professional athletes paid millions of pounds per year, they can cope with this as long as they have the right positive mindset.

 

If we play awful and lose to west ham it won't be down to the short rest time at all, it will be down to bad mental attitudes, or just an off day which can happen for any team like Man City losing to Norwich.

Trouble is we will be going against another set of professional athletes paid million of pounds who's mindsets are all 2nd to none. Who will have all had an extra days rest.

 

At the top level of elite sport it's the marginal gains, the 0.1 percent edges that often separates athletes.

 

Doesn't necessarily mean we will lose but it's a clear (all be it small)  advantage to West Ham.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

 

 Wife and myself need to work and my lad has college.

Daughter is at Uni in Nottingham and will have lectures.Apart from that 😂

 

 

Stan.Will I still have to pay the toll charge?

I don't think you'd have to. I never have when going to Birmingham? 

 

3 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

Could give you a lift if it's just you as there's 3 of us. 

Man City in one of Bedfords quality establishments could be a laugh on the sunday🍺😁

Bedford and quality establishments are mutually exclusive :P

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rachhere said:

On the whole their tennis coverage is growing on me. It does struggle at times though with buffering issues. I can’t imagine as many people are watching the tennis as will watch the football (especially as it’s also broadcast on tennistv too), so yeah, it doesn’t bode well... 


I’m not sure that’s traffic though more taking their eye off the ball. I had quite a few issues streaming Felciano Lopez Vs Warwinka last night but I heavily doubt that was due to high demand, and most of the issues I’ve had have been during the 250’s and 500’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, maddog said:

Ultimately if we have a longer rest between games it has little bearing on how we should perform.

 

Professional athletes paid millions of pounds per year, they can cope with this as long as they have the right positive mindset.

 

If we play awful and lose to west ham it won't be down to the short rest time at all, it will be down to bad mental attitudes, or just an off day which can happen for any team like Man City losing to Norwich.

This is so naive and incredible ignorant to how the human body under fatigue can perform.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:


I’m not sure that’s traffic though more taking their eye off the ball. I had quite a few issues streaming Felciano Lopez Vs Warwinka last night but I heavily doubt that was due to high demand, and most of the issues I’ve had have been during the 250’s and 500’s.

What do you mean by taking their eye of the ball? I can't remember a tournament where there haven't been complaints about buffering etc. It seems to perform far better on mobile devices than using a computer for some reason. Sadly I am already anticipating having to refresh the screen, only to discover I have missed a goal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

With 11 more games on TV, looks like we will have more games on TV,  than when we won the Prem?

Think we were on 15 or 16 times that season. Most of them towards the latter part with every game from mid March on TV? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Trouble is we will be going against another set of professional athletes paid million of pounds who's mindsets are all 2nd to none. Who will have all had an extra days rest.

 

At the top level of elite sport it's the marginal gains, the 0.1 percent edges that often separates athletes.

 

Doesn't necessarily mean we will lose but it's a clear (all be it small)  advantage to West Ham.

On that basis we should have beat Wolves in our first game of the season. We had a good training week while they travelled to Armenia, played a game and travelled back only to play us 2 days later.

 

They looked fitter. So that theory goes out the window a little bit. I used to think it was an advantage but the more I see matches evolve, the more I think it is a myth. As long as players aren't training 8 hours a day 5 days a week and playing 2 games, they are OK with it. Players prefer matchdays over training sessions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We do Christmas for my Dad's side of the family in the evening on Boxing Day, which is organised to take into account the football when Leicester are at home. As most of the family already have plans in the day, we can now no longer attend unless we essentially cancel Christmas to watch some blokes kick a ball around for their coroporate paymasters.

 

I have a very limited number of fixtures left before I leave the UK in January now, so naturally I'm completely livid that one of my few left has been taken from me to line the pockets of fat cat wankstains.

 

Thanks a f**king bunch. The game's gone.:@

Edited by OntarioFox
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Yes, but if you read my posts properly you'll realise I'm not actually grousing about how this just affects me personally.

 

I agree, but Boxing Day games have always traditionally been played at 3pm or earlier - and as such I don't think it's a fair comparison as the authorities in the past haven't considered them as "midweek fixtures" and have obviously given some consideration to how people like to spend this time of year and the limited transport options available. Sticking a game on at 8pm obviously flies in the face of that.

 

Like I say, I've always accepted the fact there are no trains and can usually get a car full with family or mates on Boxing Day - but who wants to spend their Boxing Day night rammed in queues on Leicester's roads because the transport options are even more limited than usual? It's completely inconsiderate.

If you have a car I'm sure you'll be ok for this one game

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most points in this thread can be covered with the following:

 

1. I think most people agree that an 8pm kick off is far from ideal on Boxing Day, however...

2. For every person who cannot now attend any match which is re-scheduled, there will be another who now can due to the change.

3. Not enough people are bothered enough by changes to stage a full-scale protest, however...

4. There probably are enough for simple and effective protests (banners or chants against amazon, or promoting rival products (eg Netflix).

 

Is 8pm a bit ridiculous on Boxing Day? Yes. Will we still sell out our stadium? Yes. Will Amazon make a fortune through advertising and viewing figures? Of course they will.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

I think most points in this thread can be covered with the following:

 

1. I think most people agree that an 8pm kick off is far from ideal on Boxing Day, however...

2. For every person who cannot now attend any match which is re-scheduled, there will be another who now can due to the change.

3. Not enough people are bothered enough by changes to stage a full-scale protest, however...

4. There probably are enough for simple and effective protests (banners or chants against amazon, or promoting rival products (eg Netflix).

 

Is 8pm a bit ridiculous on Boxing Day? Yes. Will we still sell out our stadium? Yes. Will Amazon make a fortune through advertising and viewing figures? Of course they will.

Well there will be empty seats where season ticket holders like ourselves don't get others to go in our place. Liverpool's end won't be full - maybe good for us (open an extra block to home fans), but it will be a killer for the overall atmosphere.

I'm even more p*ssed off by this now that I've looked at the fixtures, because this was set to be my final home league game before I move to Canada (I go a day before the next home tie against Southampton). The only consolation I have is that I'll be going to the FA Cup 3rd round regardless of where it takes place, but that's probably going to now happen either on the road or in a half-empty KP, which isn't how I wanted to check out. :dunno:

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

I think most points in this thread can be covered with the following:

 

1. I think most people agree that an 8pm kick off is far from ideal on Boxing Day, however...

2. For every person who cannot now attend any match which is re-scheduled, there will be another who now can due to the change.

3. Not enough people are bothered enough by changes to stage a full-scale protest, however...

4. There probably are enough for simple and effective protests (banners or chants against amazon, or promoting rival products (eg Netflix).

 

Is 8pm a bit ridiculous on Boxing Day? Yes. Will we still sell out our stadium? Yes. Will Amazon make a fortune through advertising and viewing figures? Of course they will.

We will sell out because they have already sold 23500 tickets. But I won't be surprised to see Arsenal style announcement of 32500 attendance when in reality there will be pockets of empty seats everywhere.

 

How many season ticket holders are gonna risk handing their cards to complete strangers.

 

I guess the ticket office may have a few requests for paper tickets and their will be an influx of posts on here.

 

I reckon this suits the late teens 20s market down to the ground. But for those with families etc that work all year and only get a few days to spend with family. That boxing day evening can be a big deal. 

 

An early or 3pm ko would be much better for most. As I say normally I'd be well up for a late ko but the lack of public transport just makes it a ball ache for most.

 

I'd be happy for this game to be the death of this slot. But I guess viewing figures wise it will be a winner for all those scousers with, london, Scottish, cornish, Devon accents who all get to get pissed up then sit on the sofa watching the game 

 

So yet again we are gonna be stuck with it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...