Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCNick1

Do we really need to sign another winger ?

27 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Don't want to left wondering at the end of the season what would have happened if we signed a quality winger. Just like the year we won it, it seems this is the best chance to hit the top 6.

Arsenal - appears they have no money so won’t be improving too much on last season

Man utd - OGS isnt good enough. Not attracting good enough players

Chelsea - lost hazard, new manager, no more signings

we essentially need to go all out this year and the only thing missing from a top starting 11 is a quality winger 

Every season is full of what ifs whatever you do. In the year we won it,  it was by team effort,  a combination of the right players, regardless of price and reputation playing in the right positions in the right system. I really don't fall for all the media nonsense that it was a bad year for every other team, what was the value of the Man City team we whooped 3-1 against our 21.5m or whatever it was? We won by a clear 10 points and deservedly so.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I agree about the booing as I didn't like that at all. Having said that, it was probably more for Puel than the player. Puel made some weird decisions at times.

Agree about needing more than half a season but having said that, even in the times he has come on, he looks very slow and not like a winger that can take us forward. Best thing he did was the goal against Fleetwood which speaks volumes.

He did a bit more than a goal against Fleetwood he created a handful of goal scoring chances with his limited time on the pitch and imo he is not a winger or a defensive player, he could be a better player under Rodgers he certainly has the eye for a pass and let's not forget how.much pressure he must have been under with the boo boys jumping on everything he did wrong.

1 hour ago, LCFCNick1 said:

I believe with Gray, Barnes, Ghezzal (possibly Pérez) depending how they line up we don’t need to splash on another forward. Maybe another CB not sold on Evans or Soyuncu 

Hahahahahahahaha. Yeah that serial winner who all proper United fans rate really higher and probably the reason people are comfortable with letting Maguire go for the right amount.

I can see why you're not sold on Evans...

I don't think we desperately NEED a winger, but in reality our options outside of Barnes are average (Marc and Gray) and poor (Ghezzal)

So ideally we could do with another wide man. Failing that we could crowbar in Ndidi, Madders, Tielemans, Silva/Mendy/Hamza, Barnes in some crazy formation.

Gray and Albrighton don't offer enough. Both are to low on assists and goals for wingers, especially for a side that wants to push top 6. Ghezzal hasn't really done anything yet and Barnes, although good and explosive at times, is still learning.

• Like 1

As I've just said in another thread, top 6 for us will be achieved on a lot more goals scored and not by what we do at the back. That sounds flippant and arguably rubbish but I am quietly confident the loss of Maguire for £75-80m and either a replacement of Tarkowski or Dunk for half that or not even replacing him and using Benkovic or Soyuncu wouldn't see us ship a significant amount more goals. However, the money spent on a right winger who almost guarantees double figures in goals and assists will put us mightily close to the top 6 all things considered and that is the prudent play here.

• Like 3

People are getting way, way too ahead of themselves with regards to Barnes.

I reckon he'll start the season behind Albrighton in the pecking order - as he was in the last few games of last season.

I remember people being just as excited with Gray a couple of years back when he was due to kick on.

3 hours ago, LCFCNick1 said:

I believe with Gray, Barnes, Ghezzal (possibly Pérez) depending how they line up we don’t need to splash on another forward. Maybe another CB not sold on Evans or Soyuncu 

Did you actually attend any games for the second half of the season, Evans was solid at the back

You can never have enough wingers as long as you have 2 big guys to smash in the crosses. We currently have the personnel to line up as follows:

Kasper

Soyuncu

Ricardo Albrighton  Kapustka  Gray                                                                                                       Ghezzal  Diabate  Barnes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Morgan  Slimani

We need to show that we can play in different ways and personally I think our midfield is grossly overrated

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I reckon he'll start the season behind Albrighton in the pecking order - as he was in the last few games of last season.

I remember people being just as excited with Gray a couple of years back when he was due to kick on.

100%.

He really hasn’t done a lot, especially against anyone half decent. Would be a lot different if he wasn’t an academy graduate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

You can never have enough wingers as long as you have 2 big guys to smash in the crosses. We currently have the personnel to line up as follows:

Kasper

Soyuncu

Ricardo Albrighton  Kapustka  Gray                                                                                                       Ghezzal  Diabate  Barnes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Morgan  Slimani

We need to show that we can play in different ways and personally I think our midfield is grossly overrated

This could be the revolution we never knew we needed.

Big Wes up top heading in bags of goals.... personally would have gone for Maguire for the goal scoring defender but we may as well just sell him to buy 7 wingers for the bench

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LCFCNick1 said:

I know others have stated it already, but it is very odd that you rate Gray and Ghezzal, but not Evans. I wasn't Evans' biggest fan before we signed him, and it took a while for him to settle in, but for £3m, he was an absolute steal, and I think it's now clear to see he is a very good PL centre half. The most dependable one we have. Soyuncu is still very young for a CB and is adapting to a new country. He could turn out to be great. Gray and Ghezzal have done very little to suggest they're good enough for where we want to be.

As for your question, I'm not sure. I'm sure Perez is nailed on for the right wing in the first XI. I think Barnes and Albrighton will be competing for the left flank as things stand. I think there's still a very slim possibility that Gray could come good under Rodgers. I'm not very hopeful, but I wouldn't mind him being 4th choice. If JJ is good enough for the first team, then there's also the option of playing Ricardo on the wing if needed.

I doubt Ghezzal, Diabate or Cabbage will feature much, if at all. I think there could be room for a top quality winger in the squad, but I think there is a danger that it might unsettle players with there already being a lot of them here. I think Barnes has a lot of potential, and I wouldn't want to see him sidelined for too long. If Ghezzal, Diabate and Cabbage are transfer listed, and Barnes still gets plenty of minutes, then we could perhaps squeeze in a marquee signing winger. I don't think it's all that crucial, though.

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Every season is full of what ifs whatever you do. In the year we won it,  it was by team effort,  a combination of the right players, regardless of price and reputation playing in the right positions in the right system. I really don't fall for all the media nonsense that it was a bad year for every other team, what was the value of the Man City team we whooped 3-1 against our 21.5m or whatever it was? We won by a clear 10 points and deservedly so.

Good point you make their....Forgot the team that won the league cost about 22m and we have just paid £40m for one!Just shows the ambition at the club.

Edited by PAULCFC
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sampson said:

But Barnes has shown so much more in his little time in the first team than gray ever has

• Like 4

Not for me.

Rodgers ended the season without playing wingers, ie Maddison on the left in a 4-3-3 (some say 4-1-4-1).  We may find the width coming from the full backs in whatever system he settles on.

If we do play with wingers then Barnes has to play for his own development and to become the player we want him to become.  It's not a luxury in my opinion.  I think he is good enough. 

For the right side, I honestly don't know why we blew £30m on Perez if we then go and sign another RW.

I do think the time is right for Gray to go though, if we can get decent money.

• Like 4

As far as I can see it's the one glaring weak point in the squad. We've had a superb window thus far in terms of bringing in exactly what we need but our wingers don't produce enough in terms of goals or assists. Rodgers is obviously a good coach and improver of players but I seriously doubt he's going to suddenly turn Gray and Albrighton into regular goalscorers or Ghezzal into a reliable top half winger. I think it's also a pretty big ask for Barnes to shoulder the burden alone in what will be his first full season at this level. Get a good winger in, sell some of the unwanted fringe players and we've had as close to a perfect window as possible for me.