Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCNick1

Do we really need to sign another winger ?

4 hours ago, tylesta said:

But Barnes has shown so much more in his little time in the first team than gray ever has

He really, really hasnt though. I get hes a local lad and everyone wants Barnes to do well, but its blinding people massively.

Gray has shown flashes of brilliance here, they've just been far and few between and hes nowhere near constant enough.

Barnes played a handful of games at the end of last season, had maybe one or two flashes of brilliances and that was it, but he looked nowhere near being a key player in a top half Premier League side yet.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying he won't be brilliant in 2 or 3 seasons time, but he showed in between his brief glimpses last season, during the majority of his inconsistent and often lacking-the-final-ball performances that he's obviously not there yet.

And he ended last season as a substitute once Albrighton came back from injury - even when we had nothing to play for, which is when you usually give your youngsters a run out - and it seemed pretty clear that Rodgers puts Albrighton above him in the pecking order- and regardless of what people individually think of them, I fully expect Albrighton to largely be ahead of him in the pecking order in the season ahead in Rodgers' eyes.

But people are already talking about Barnes like he's going to be a key player and we will be relying on him on pushing for the top 6 already now, when hes really nowhere near that good yet and I doubt Rodgers will pick him as such either.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He got 4 assists and 1 goal in half the amount of games of Albrighton. With the amount of shots and chances created as well it seems only a matter of time that his end product improves. Albrighton will never ever reach the creativity required, we no longer have Mahrez for him to hide behind.

Where are you getting his 4 assists from? Whoscored and the Premier League website both have him as 2 assists last season for us.

Are you just inventing stats to try and convince people of something? 

Wingers are the glaring weakness in our team. I'd like us to target 70 goals next season. You can't expect Vardy to get more than 20 and 15 between between Maddison and Tieleman would be a good return.

That still leaves 35 goals short and the lion share should be picked up by the wingers not Ndidi and the defence. I believe Harvey Barnes could become a 10 goals a season man. Albrighton isn't that type of player and Gray has flattered to deceive too many times. I'm still not sure Perez will be a good buy for us but am open minded.

A huge ask but what we wouldn't give for a winger who returned what Mahrez did for us.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He got 4 assists and 1 goal in half the amount of games of Albrighton. With the amount of shots and chances created as well it seems only a matter of time that his end product improves. Albrighton will never ever reach the creativity required, we no longer have Mahrez for him to hide behind.

People forget his stats whilst he was at West Brom. Harvey is a young lad who we pretty much chucked in the deep end when he came back. He’s a local lad & was under a lot of pressure to perform & to get his first goal. The pressure will ease off a lot on him this year, fans have familiarised themselves with him & will slowly ease off him so he can strut his stuff.

It may not be next season, but I’m pretty confident Harvey will be hitting double figures in both goals n assists per season within the next 2 years. The boys technical ability & movement is special for his age.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Don't want to left wondering at the end of the season what would have happened if we signed a quality winger. Just like the year we won it, it seems this is the best chance to hit the top 6.

Arsenal - appears they have no money so won’t be improving too much on last season

Man utd - OGS isnt good enough. Not attracting good enough players

Chelsea - lost hazard, new manager, no more signings

we essentially need to go all out this year and the only thing missing from a top starting 11 is a quality winger 

Many on here would agree with that. I suppose it comes down to finances, who is genuinely available, at what price and whether they would actually want to come to Leicester. There again, Rodgers may have no intention whatsoever of employing wingers and choose to rely on our fullbacks for width? Who knows, but I do think that the club will give it due consideration.

15 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

We really do. Our current wingers do not contribute enough in numbers, Brendan has already stated this more than once. 

Barnes can be cut a bit of slack having only played 6 months of PL football but we need someone who is better than all our current options. 

I thought we bought Perez who we can also use as a wide option.

3 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

I thought we bought Perez who we can also use as a wide option.

Depends where Rodgers plans to utilise Perez, in a more Shinji role or wide (left/right) and if he see's the current crop (Barnes, Gray, Albrighton, Ghezzal, Diabate, plus any u21 prospects) as practical for what is undoubtedly a big season for him.

Those in bold can go for me :nono: (IF we bring in another winger/wide attacker)

• Like 4

Yes, gray and albrighton don’t provide enough goals, and I’m not sure Pérez is going to play as an out and out winger all season. Barnes is unproven yet in the prem although I think he will come good. I can’t see ghezzal or diabate getting a game unless they have a quality pre season! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

He really, really hasnt though. I get hes a local lad and everyone wants Barnes to do well, but its blinding people massively.

Gray has shown flashes of brilliance here, they've just been far and few between and hes nowhere near constant enough.

Barnes played a handful of games at the end of last season, had maybe one or two flashes of brilliances and that was it, but he looked nowhere near being a key player in a top half Premier League side yet.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying he won't be brilliant in 2 or 3 seasons time, but he showed in between his brief glimpses last season, during the majority of his inconsistent and often lacking-the-final-ball performances that he's obviously not there yet.

And he ended last season as a substitute once Albrighton came back from injury - even when we had nothing to play for, which is when you usually give your youngsters a run out - and it seemed pretty clear that Rodgers puts Albrighton above him in the pecking order- and regardless of what people individually think of them, I fully expect Albrighton to largely be ahead of him in the pecking order in the season ahead in Rodgers' eyes.

But people are already talking about Barnes like he's going to be a key player and we will be relying on him on pushing for the top 6 already now, when hes really nowhere near that good yet and I doubt Rodgers will pick him as such either.

I think that's a little harsh.

Personally, yes, I want Barnes to do well because he is a local lad, academy product and Leicester fan, but more than that, I want him to do well because I think he is special.

So far, Barnes has risen to every challenge thrown his way from his loan spells in League one to ripping up the Championship like Maddison did before him.  I think he did well after being recalled but I also think there is much more to come.  As you say, he might be 'brilliant in 2 or 3 seasons', but he will never get there if he doesn't play.  He is good enough now IMO and will only get better.  He is one player that can make things happen.

Finally, he was never dropped for Albrighton.  He was dropped for a formation change as we went into those last few tricky games last year (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City) with an extra holding player (Choudhury) in a 4-3-3.  We played without wingers and Maddison moved over to the left.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

Not said anything about top 6 or anything said he has shown more than gray!!! Gray gets the ball and I don't feel he can make things happen when Im wathing Barnes he makes things happen.

7 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

People forget his stats whilst he was at West Brom. Harvey is a young lad who we pretty much chucked in the deep end when he came back. He’s a local lad & was under a lot of pressure to perform & to get his first goal. The pressure will ease off a lot on him this year, fans have familiarised themselves with him & will slowly ease off him so he can strut his stuff.

It may not be next season, but I’m pretty confident Harvey will be hitting double figures in both goals n assists per season within the next 2 years. The boys technical ability & movement is special for his age.

I agree. I was really impressed with Barnes. I think he could well turn out to be the real deal. I think he's a natural. He's often in the right place at the right time to assist or score. He was often through on goal only to shoot straight at the keeper. If he can just learn to look up briefly, he could be scoring plenty. He's very young, and I don't think he has too much improving to do before he's a major contributor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Albrighton, even during his glory years is workmanlike and only good for 2-3 goals and 4 or 5 assists. That won't be enough under Brendan to be first choice.

Albrighton is the best crosser of a ball we have, but we don't use a target man, so probably have no use for this skill. He is also the best defensive winger we have, if that is not a contradiction.

• Like 1

Difference between top 10 and top 6 is this. We're still miles off top 6 if Gray or Albrighton are starting (inb4 they won us da league). Would rather Richy P play as a winger than any of our options bar Barnes. Barnes is dangerous.

Nope, not for me. Ricky will quite possibly be sold next Summer for a huge fee (If he carries on as he did last season), then JJ takes over, so Ricky needs to stay as RB to preserve his inate value.

(I know that was naughty, but whatever)

We need a new right sided, left footed attacker to cut in and bag some goals and I do not believe that was the purpose of bring Perez in.

14 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

Albrighton is the best crosser of a ball we have, but we don't use a target man, so probably have no use for this skill. He is also the best defensive winger we have, if that is not a contradiction.

Agree on both of those points and he still is an asset in this squad, but as you say his main strengths don't necessarily suit this current regime. Barnes will be schooled to the 9th degree by Rodgers and if there's one attacking player that looks tailor made for his in your face, high octane pressing and plenty of goals then he looks ideal. If he can get something out of Gray then the man is a miracle worker. Albrighton is still a very important player for certain types of games but we still don't have a target man for him to lob balls in to nor do teams allow us to play on the counter for him to do what he used to do with Vardy from inside left in to the channels.

3 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Which one of our wingers would get in a top 6 team?  Sorry but none of them. (Discounting Perez as he's more of a striker). If we want to bridge the gap we need to sign a winger. Left footed and lethal cutting inside preferably.

I think that is the most pertinent question/statement that's not been asked yet. It's quite damning and is the obvious weakness. Every other area we have players that would stand their ground in any of the top 6 teams even Man City and Liverpool's.

• Like 2