Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCNick1

Do we really need to sign another winger ?

12 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Going purely off the 2 videos that have been linked on here. My first thoughts prefer Robert Skov, purely because of the kids technical ability however having watched both videos it’s clear that Andreas Skov’s are more from open play rather than set pieces. 

Fvck it get both in & ship out Gray & Ghezzal lol 

WE WANT ALL THE SKOVS

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Get in. 

All those Scandi crime dramas are starting to pay off. I'm learning. 

@Jonezy

Not that I doubt you but I had to find out more. After a quick bit of googling I can conclude that 95% of foxestalk need to klap lige hesten about our transfer business. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

@Jonezy

Not that I doubt you but I had to find out more. After a quick bit of googling I can conclude that 95% of foxestalk need to klap lige hesten about our transfer business. 

They need to 'klap lige hesten' on matchdays as well.... :D

• Like 1

On 09/07/2019 at 17:16, Ric Flair said:

As I've just said in another thread, top 6 for us will be achieved on a lot more goals scored and not by what we do at the back. That sounds flippant and arguably rubbish but I am quietly confident the loss of Maguire for £75-80m and either a replacement of Tarkowski or Dunk for half that or not even replacing him and using Benkovic or Soyuncu wouldn't see us ship a significant amount more goals. However, the money spent on a right winger who almost guarantees double figures in goals and assists will put us mightily close to the top 6 all things considered and that is the prudent play here.

agree on the goals scored aspect, but the reason maguire is rated is his contribution to forward play.

The best defenders are the ones that contribute to forward play, help keep possession etc allowing forward thinking players to move further forward.  I would even go as far as saying the biggest clubs now days dont necessarily look at defending ability as a primary attribute for defenders anymore.

Notice how the best teams have their entire backline pushing on the opponents box for huge chunks of games, and teams fighting relegation often keep their defenders pegged back as they always have that mindset of not conceding and this in turn weakens their forward play, reducing the goals they score.

Now if it plays out like you said, we sell maguire, use the money on a winger that gives mahrez type performance, and the replacement CB is as good as maguire on forward play then of course we do well out of it.  But it is a gamble.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

agree on the goals scored aspect, but the reason maguire is rated is his contribution to forward play.

The best defenders are the ones that contribute to forward play, help keep possession etc allowing forward thinking players to move further forward.  I would even go as far as saying the biggest clubs now days dont necessarily look at defending ability as a primary attribute for defenders anymore.

Notice how the best teams have their entire backline pushing on the opponents box for huge chunks of games, and teams fighting relegation often keep their defenders pegged back as they always have that mindset of not conceding and this in turn weakens their forward play, reducing the goals they score.

Now if it plays out like you said, we sell maguire, use the money on a winger that gives mahrez type performance, and the replacement CB is as good as maguire on forward play then of course we do well out of it.  But it is a gamble.

Don't think it will be a gamble. Lets see how our defenders do against a frontline of Vardy, Perez, and Barnes backed up by Maddison and Tielemans.

Topped off with the attacking know how of Brendan Rodgers. Everyday in training. :D I think Rodgers will have a pretty good idea of where we stand

On 10/07/2019 at 00:16, StanSP said:

Gray and Ghezzal just aren't good enough.

Can't just rely on Albrighton (one-dimensional for the most part), Barnes (still young and inexperienced) and Perez who is a welcome new signing of course.

Upgrades on Gray & Ghezzal are needed. Been a staunch supporter and backer of Gray to come good but he's still too hit and miss even with decent runs of games. It just begs the question when will Gray come good?

Ghezzal was just an all-round poor signing. Monaco couldn't have shipped him out quicker. For where we want to be (breaking in to the top 6), Ghezzal just is not good enough.

So yes, we do need to sign another winger!

I think BR will get the best out of Demari Gray.  He just needs a bit of time and the right mentorship.  BR is a first rate attacking coach and if Demari wants to be a 1st team player he needs to do what he is told  to do and not be so selfish.  I have faith that he clearly has the talent and this year is the year for him to put it all together otherwise he could find himself playing somewhere else.

17 hours ago, Hack said:

I think BR will get the best out of Demari Gray.  He just needs a bit of time and the right mentorship.  BR is a first rate attacking coach and if Demari wants to be a 1st team player he needs to do what he is told  to do and not be so selfish.  I have faith that he clearly has the talent and this year is the year for him to put it all together otherwise he could find himself playing somewhere else.

Talented as Brendan may be,brain surgery is a bit of a strech

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Silly question. As one poster put it the other day, which of our wide players would start in a top 6 first XI? 

None is the right answer, 

Of course we need a starting winger who can add both goals & assists.

Silly question!

Correct!

Other than our wingers I can confidently say the other 8 outfield players in our starting 11 could easily play in a top 6 side.

that means we are effectively a winger away from reaching that.

On 11/07/2019 at 02:06, SO1 said:

Don't think it will be a gamble. Lets see how our defenders do against a frontline of Vardy, Perez, and Barnes backed up by Maddison and Tielemans.

Topped off with the attacking know how of Brendan Rodgers. Everyday in training. :D I think Rodgers will have a pretty good idea of where we stand

when signing players its always a gamble.

52 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

when signing players its always a gamble.

I agree when your in the process of a transfer. After the purchase, when you see the player in training every day, I think is different.

My greatest concern when it comes to our centerbacks is injuries. If we sell Maguire we really should buy someone to replace him.

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

I agree when your in the process of a transfer. After the purchase, when you see the player in training every day, I think is different.

My greatest concern when it comes to our centerbacks is injuries. If we sell Maguire we really should buy someone to replace him.

Blimey, this bills really adding up!

With this the current suggestions on here, to go with our 3 latest purchases are:

Winger - 30-50m (various suggestions)

Midfielder - 15-20m (Praet etc)

Forward - 20m

Centre Half - 40m (Dunk etc)

Suddenly we're up to a possible up to 130m on top of the about 80m we've just spent. All on top of the players and wages surplus to requirements.  Good job we're Real Madrid.

Now we can all dispute again which of the above, if any, we really need and then reiterate our particular preferences from YouTube player clips and media reports. It's like the magic roundabout. Do we realistically think this is good  business for the future of the club or could it just be starting to sound just a little rediculous and unrealistic? 

All in the chase for a paltry 6th place which certainly for me wouldn't justify such expediture. Think on this basis I'd sooner finish 7th and retain the long term future of the club and shore up our improved squad next year after they've got a good season of experience under their belt. Like our owners say, building a sustainable team.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

First of all, there's no way anything like all those buys are going to happen.  Even if we sell Harry (which adds at least 80M back into the kitty) we're not going to spend anything like 40M on a CD.  And a major striker purchase isn't going to happen either - that's one of the reasons Perez was brought in.

Also - I don't see this as a chance for 6th.  I (and I think the brass at LCFC, Everton, Wolves et al) see this as a generational opportunity to fight for 4th and the CL.

Edited by Deeg67

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

With this the current suggestions on here, to go with our 3 latest purchases are:

Forward - 20m

Suddenly we're up to a possible up to 130m on top of the about 80m we've just spent. All on top of the players and wages surplus to requirements.  Good job we're Real Madrid.

Now we can all dispute again which of the above, if any, we really need and then reiterate our particular preferences from YouTube player clips and media reports. It's like the magic roundabout. Do we realistically think this is good  business for the future of the club or could it just be starting to sound just a little rediculous and unrealistic? 

All in the chase for a paltry 6th place which certainly for me wouldn't justify such expediture. Think on this basis I'd sooner finish 7th and retain the long term future of the club and shore up our improved squad next year after they've got a good season of experience under their belt. Like our owners say, building a sustainable team.

Also need to include the 9 million compensation to Celtic for Rodgers and however much of a severance package we gave to Puel.

20 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Also need to include the 9 million compensation to Celtic for Rodgers and however much of a severance package we gave to Puel.

Hadn't even considered that! Wow! I think some folk are getting a bit carried away with it all, it's a longer term  progressional thing, we're going about it in a considered business like manner which should avoid future problems.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Forward - 20m

Totally agree...That why the ambition to chase top 4-6,is all well and good,but too many are putting it down as entitled expectancies...!!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

Well if you want to throw everything in then that is offset by the money we received for ending up 9th compared to where we would have ended under Puel.

We’re also saving the salaries of Simpson and Okazaki.

4 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Well if you want to throw everything in then that is offset by the money we received for ending up 9th compared to where we would have ended under Puel.

Plus the £9m we got for Iborra in January.

7 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Totally agree...That why the ambition to chase top 4-6,is all well and good,but too many are putting it down as entitled expectancies...!!?

I agree and there seems constant comparison with Everton and West Ham, the latter two seemingly having spent rather heavily compared with us last season. Who actually bought better and wiser though I wonder? Outside of Anderson I do wonder whether for all their expenditure whether it was worth it and whether they are significantly better off? Maddison, Pereira,  Benkovic,  Soyuncu and Ghezzal represented a restrained but targeted choice of players for the future but not necessarily instant success, the lattter being the cause of failure for many a club in the past. Tielemans, Perez , Justin and Regba represent another recognisable targeted building exercise upon purchases of last season to combine with our own youth coming through. We really don't need big numbers being spent in the chase for the holy grail, we could very easily lose out in the battle of the money pots by spending on risky foreign purchases and be left with yet more 'not quite up to the job' players with little resalable value. Pereira, Maddison , Chilwell, Maguire, Ndidi, Choudhury  and Barnes all represent either free or reasonably priced purchases who after one or two seasons have or will see their saleable prices rocket whilst still competing at a good standard. We've more such potential in Benkovic, Soyuncu, Justin and Regba to perhaps come. This for me is the model to strive for and not be distracted from. The Thauvins and Praets are a risk who, if they don't make the grade (and Thauvins has already been poor here one) will have a saleable value which is not great. Do we even need to play with wingers?  Cannot now Tielemans, Maddison, Perez and parhaps even Barnes be better goal contributors this year after last year's experience and a good pre season? 30-50 million is a lot for what, would that one wingers contribution be really worth it as I really don't see Rodgers playing with wingers every week. For 50m I'd want a decent centre forward or midfielder. Richarlison and Anderson did really well last year but were quite an exception to the usual rule whereby most teams strikers are their main source of goals (neither of those teams had one). There are always exceptions but I think we'll score more this year than last because of the players we now have to compliment each other combined with the style of play those hand picked players will be asked to play in which should create more chances.

8 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

I doubt we'd have ended up much lower in reality and arguably the overall legacy of the players bought in during his reign will have bought dividends. We still have the duds to contend with prior to him even coming sadly. We also have to recognise perhaps that the loan of Tielemans was probably down to Puel and it would be churlish to suggest that he as a player was certainly a positive influence also in us getting to where we did.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I doubt we'd have ended up much lower in reality and arguably the overall legacy of the players bought in during his reign will have bought dividends. We still have the duds to contend with prior to him even coming sadly. We also have to recognise perhaps that the loan of Tielemans was probably down to Puel and it would be churlish to suggest that he as a player was certainly a positive influence also in us getting to where we did.

Hmmmm the run in we had under Rodgers pitched us against the teams that were our nemesis under Puel and we were on the back of a horror start to 2019. I'm not so sure we would have got the 20 points we got after Puel left, that put us in the top 4 in the form table for the last quarter of the season. I think we'd have been more like 12-14th. Which in monetary terms was about £6-8m

20 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I agree and there seems constant comparison with Everton and West Ham, the latter two seemingly having spent rather heavily compared with us last season. Who actually bought better and wiser though I wonder? Outside of Anderson I do wonder whether for all their expenditure whether it was worth it and whether they are significantly better off? Maddison, Pereira,  Benkovic,  Soyuncu and Ghezzal represented a restrained but targeted choice of players for the future but not necessarily instant success, the lattter being the cause of failure for many a club in the past. Tielemans, Perez , Justin and Regba represent another recognisable targeted building exercise upon purchases of last season to combine with our own youth coming through. We really don't need big numbers being spent in the chase for the holy grail, we could very easily lose out in the battle of the money pots by spending on risky foreign purchases and be left with yet more 'not quite up to the job' players with little resalable value. Pereira, Maddison , Chilwell, Maguire, Ndidi, Choudhury  and Barnes all represent either free or reasonably priced purchases who after one or two seasons have or will see their saleable prices rocket whilst still competing at a good standard. We've more such potential in Benkovic, Soyuncu, Justin and Regba to perhaps come. This for me is the model to strive for and not be distracted from. The Thauvins and Praets are a risk who, if they don't make the grade (and Thauvins has already been poor here one) will have a saleable value which is not great. Do we even need to play with wingers?  Cannot now Tielemans, Maddison, Perez and parhaps even Barnes be better goal contributors this year after last year's experience and a good pre season? 30-50 million is a lot for what, would that one wingers contribution be really worth it as I really don't see Rodgers playing with wingers every week. For 50m I'd want a decent centre forward or midfielder. Richarlison and Anderson did really well last year but were quite an exception to the usual rule whereby most teams strikers are their main source of goals (neither of those teams had one). There are always exceptions but I think we'll score more this year than last because of the players we now have to compliment each other combined with the style of play those hand picked players will be asked to play in which should create more chances.

Any chance of hitting the return button to create a new paragraph or six?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2