2 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

Throw him straight in against Stoke at the weekend alongside Mendy. 

Watch a re-run of the Newport Cup defeat and this may get you to delete this post.  Unfortunately, he is no longer up to playing for LCFC.  Great shame, but financially secure no doubt which is good for him.

15 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Seems like Barnsley don’t want to/ can’t afford to continue to pay his wages. Especially the mention of giving younger players a chance. So another loan seems the best bet for him. 

...if he could get them promoted, surely the money being paid in his wages, would be a better investment than another couple of seasons struggling to keep hold of their better players and continually having to rebuild!!!

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if he could get them promoted, surely the money being paid in his wages, would be a better investment than another couple of seasons struggling to keep hold of their better players and continually having to rebuild!!!

Depends on if they have a wage structure in place, and with a club the size of Barnsley it is probable that they do, and paying a higher amount of his wages would probably break that structure

Yes they could still do it, but then they run the risk of annoying all their other key players

How long is his contract with us, he hasn't been a fully active member of the squad since 14/15 season and since then he has only made 18 appearances 5/6 seasons! 

Get he's a nice guy and he's perhaps done a lot for the club but have we seriously been paying this guy 18k a week when he's not been out on loan to sit on a physios table? 

I'm a nice guy! I'll settle for £5k a week

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Depends on if they have a wage structure in place, and with a club the size of Barnsley it is probable that they do, and paying a higher amount of his wages would probably break that structure

Yes they could still do it, but then they run the risk of annoying all their other key players

...then the fact that they have being paying him before, should mean it did not matter then so why should it matter now!!!

The only thing that I can see that would make them want recind his loan agreement, is if someone has recently divulged the cost of his wages.

For me, Drinkwater and James were both either indispensable to the club or one step below it in our Championship-winning year. They were both great, hard to say who was better. Maybe James shaded it. Anyway I’m glad Matty is playing football on the regular again. Let’s see it leads for him. 

1 minute ago, Rusko187 said:

How long is his contract with us, he hasn't been a fully active member of the squad since 14/15 season and since then he has only made 18 appearances 5/6 seasons! 

Get he's a nice guy and he's perhaps done a lot for the club but have we seriously been paying this guy 18k a week when he's not been out on loan to sit on a physios table? 

I'm a nice guy! I'll settle for £5k a week

Still has 18 months left on his current deal

Can anybody remember a very good Matty James pass or a very good Matty James goal? Drinkwater obviously played a lot more games for us but without hesitation you can recall some superb Drinkwater moments 

Just now, Stadt said:

Can anybody remember a very good Matty James pass or a very good Matty James goal? Drinkwater obviously played a lot more games for us but without hesitation you can recall some superb Drinkwater moments 

They were two different sorts of players. James did the ugly side of the game very effectively while Drinkwater was more about the passing range and technical ability.

24 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...then the fact that they have being paying him before, should mean it did not matter then so why should it matter now!!!

The only thing that I can see that would make them want recind his loan agreement, is if someone has recently divulged the cost of his wages.

His loan agreement wasn't rescinded, he was only on loan to them until now

Barnsley were probably paying about £10k a week, which is probably about the highest they pay their players, it would be financially irresponsible of them in the current environment to then start paying way above what they can afford

Edited by moore_94
Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

The only other thing could be because they’re safe from relegation this season, and only have an outside chance of making the playoffs so will likely finish mid table anyway. So given the financial constraints of COVID they are potentially better off saving those wages and instead giving a chance to some of their younger players. Just one possibility.

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

As per usual when reading the Matty James thread, it makes me very glad the club don't share the same lack of loyalty and empathy that a good number of our fanbase do, good grief. 

You don't run a football club on sentiments though do you.

James has been decent for us but the right thing now is for both parties to move on. We already gave him a staggering contract when he was injured which I think is enough loyalty to someone who hasn't made any more than 150 appareances for us in nearly a decade.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

The four year deal does look very long in hindsight but didn't he play several games at the start of that season? Had Shakespeare been in charge longer, he may've been a regular.

I appreciate the numbers look extortionate but let's not forget he missed out on the greatest season in the club's history and a probable title medal having suffered a serious injury when first choice. That must've really got to him and I'm sure he'd swap some of the money for more matches and fewer injuries. He clearly wants to play.