Jump to content

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

Have to agree with this. I had a brief stint at British Gas and Ally Mauclen worked in warehouse and I really felt bad for him, but he reckoned he didn't care. 

I was drinking with him at BG Christmas do at the Grand on Granby St and jokingly said I could do more push ups than him in a minute, and I kid you not before the blink of an eye, he had hit the deck and knocked out  about 20 in 10 ?

To me he is a hero, and very intimidating bloke on and off field

Has a very well paid job now as a host in the exec areas of the club , he is regimented that man He marches even when walking up the corridor , if I was in a trench of war I’d want Ally beside me , absolute warrior 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Taking a step back from the contract length etc, on a personal level I feel so bad for Matty James.

 

Knowing he is a talented player with the potential to kick on and be a competitive player in either the prem or championship and having it taken away through no fault of his own must be gutting. 

I salute him for continually battling back, it must take some mental strength to get back up everytime he's been knocked down.

 

People will say "its easy with the money he's on" blah blah. It's so easy to fall into a bad spell and start to spiral down into a bad place. At the end of the day he's human. 

 

For that and the fact he is a talented player, I'm glad we signed him to a contract.

Good man, all well said. He served us well before getting that first big injury and has never been the same since. Players like James, Nuge and King and before them, the likes of Fryatt, Wellens, Jack Hobbs, Berner etc got us to where we are today and we shouldn't forget it. I'm glad the clubs taken care of Matty.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly in the time Matty has been injured the club has transformed beyond all recognition. 

 

James at his best, pre injury, isn’t good enough to get into this side. James after 2+ years injured won’t be anywhere near the level he was and so is even further behind the standard. He needs time and games; something we just can’t offer him. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Good man, all well said. He served us well before getting that first big injury and has never been the same since. Players like James, Nuge and King and before them, the likes of Fryatt, Wellens, Jack Hobbs, Berner etc got us to where we are today and we shouldn't forget it. I'm glad the clubs taken care of Matty.

The guy was a key part of our championship winning team and regular starter in the great escape when he got injured. 

We then obviously had a massive up swing in fortune and it took 2 years for him to get back when he got some games and then injured again.

 

Missing out must've been soul crushing and I think he admitted in an interview be struggled. 

 

I have no issue the club keeping around good people to encourage the rest and the atmosphere, especially as assume James isn't on a huge wage. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Taking a step back from the contract length etc, on a personal level I feel so bad for Matty James.

 

Knowing he is a talented player with the potential to kick on and be a competitive player in either the prem or championship and having it taken away through no fault of his own must be gutting. 

I salute him for continually battling back, it must take some mental strength to get back up everytime he's been knocked down.

 

People will say "its easy with the money he's on" blah blah. It's so easy to fall into a bad spell and start to spiral down into a bad place. At the end of the day he's human. 

 

For that and the fact he is a talented player, I'm glad we signed him to a contract.

Agree with most of that

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ben. said:

I think offering James that new 4-year deal was as bad as any decision the club has made over the last few years. Was such an unnecessary risk to take with his injury record.

We’ve made some strange ones (but then again so do all football clubs)

James being given a 4 yr contract, Slimani, Nacho, Musa, Ghezzal, the little French winger (name even eludes me) all on that list

Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the lad to get some autographs in our championship season,all the players were pleasant(Nuge,Wes,Vardy..Etc).But Matty James actually asked my boy what he thought of the match and had a minute conversation with him....nice bloke,pity how it's turned out for him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ben. said:

I think offering James that new 4-year deal was as bad as any decision the club has made over the last few years. Was such an unnecessary risk to take with his injury record.

You would lose you’re job for making a decision that bad at any normal business 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gwyn said:

Have to agree with this. I had a brief stint at British Gas and Ally Mauclen worked in warehouse and I really felt bad for him, but he reckoned he didn't care. 

I was drinking with him at BG Christmas do at the Grand on Granby St and jokingly said I could do more push ups than him in a minute, and I kid you not before the blink of an eye, he had hit the deck and knocked out  about 20 in 10 ?

To me he is a hero, and very intimidating bloke on and off field

Ally Mauchlen ended up at British Gas? I'm gutted, he was one of my favourite players of the 80s. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The beauty of football is that you cannot rule anything out. Who knows what will happen and who can step up?

 

Danny Simpson was dismissed but became an integral part of the team, just like Taggart or the initially red card magnate Steve Walsh. 

 

I’d personally love an already integrated player to prove his worth and demonstrate his ability. It’s not really much different to younger academy players demonstrating the same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think any one would begrudge Leicester looking after Matty but come on a 4 year contract was ridiculous. We should have offered him a shorter deal or a rolling contract of some sort . Given him one year rolling to two if all parties are happy . 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

I don’t think any one would begrudge Leicester looking after Matty but come on a 4 year contract was ridiculous. We should have offered him s shorter deal or a rolling contract of some sort . Given him one year rolling to two if all parties are happy . 

I've no knowledge of the actual details of his contract but surely it was (in Premier league football terms) on low(er) wages.

 

He had no negotiating power due to all his injuries. The club's interest was to look after him and keep high morale in the squad, maintaining that strong family bond that exists. Most likely supported by Shakespeare who was manager at the time.

 

I just can't see our owners being naive enough to stick him on a long contract with unsustainable wages. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

I've no knowledge of the actual details of his contract but surely it was (in Premier league football terms) on low(er) wages.

 

He had no negotiating power due to all his injuries. The club's interest was to look after him and keep high morale in the squad, maintaining that strong family bond that exists. Most likely supported by Shakespeare who was manager at the time.

 

I just can't see our owners being naive enough to stick him on a long contract with unsustainable wages. 

It’s just the length of it. Like you said I’m sure he’s on a lower wage 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

We’ve made some strange ones (but then again so do all football clubs)

James being given a 4 yr contract, Slimani, Nacho, Musa, Ghezzal, the little French winger (name even eludes me) all on that list

Surely the strangest decision was when we decided against signing Lee Cattermole eh Col?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally Im glad our club in recent times have made decisions on people like Matty, Fuchs and Wes more from the heart and mind, We make more than enough money in transfer deals and have a squad brimming with assets that will mostly continue that trend so despite some deals contracts being questionable, I wont complain about the sentiment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

Sadly in the time Matty has been injured the club has transformed beyond all recognition. 

 

James at his best, pre injury, isn’t good enough to get into this side. James after 2+ years injured won’t be anywhere near the level he was and so is even further behind the standard. He needs time and games; something we just can’t offer him. 

Who knows what a fit Matty James could be like now. Whether he could command a first team place is very doubtful but ... his attempts to get back to fitness and his dedication to it is quite well documented. He's tried his best and is not a waster, I feel very sorry for him personally.  There was a reason why Puel would pick him ahead of the in comparison expensive Silva and Iborra and that quite simply was  that he was the best choice at the time.

 

There may be other players within our ranks that deserve criticism before Matty. His contract is what it is.  I'd be more worried about the contracts of Iheanacho, Slimani and Silva, the first two of which have never shown as much effort and dedication as an easy target injured player like Matty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

I’m sure it was thought out fully and was done as a mark of respect and support , we are not an ordinary club these days we do special things 

......I agree, this could have come from Vichai as it seems he was close to the players. My old boss did something pretty similar to a previous employee and pretty much re-housed and changed this guys' life.

  As mentioned by so many on here, the decision made little if no sense. The answer seems to be the decision was coming from a point of benevolence....pragmatism goes out the window when emotions are involved!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Col city fan said:

We’ve made some strange ones (but then again so do all football clubs)

James being given a 4 yr contract, Slimani, Nacho, Musa, Ghezzal, the little French winger (name even eludes me) all on that list

I don't think you can put James' contract extension on the same scale as splashing 29m on Slimani, or any of those other signings.

 

Back in 2014/15, he was rightly first choice at the beginning of the Great Escape, and had been on a par with Drinkwater over the past couple of seasons. When we gave him the extension I believe we'd not long seen him come back from injury, impress on loan at the end of one season, and boss the midfield against Chelsea (is that right? or Everton? can't remember!) half-way through the next.

 

So the club were probably realistic about it. They knew, as we did, that back at the time of his 2015 injury he was little more than a work in progress, knew that he'd probably never be able to pick up where he left off, but I suspect they saw two advantages: First, that they were sending out a message to players who might see us as a stepping stone that, while we might not be able to compete with the riches of the Big 6, we could treat our players a whole lot better. Second, that a questionable post-Drinkwater/pre-Tielemans midfield which needed significant investment could add strength in depth on the cheap if James continued his recovery. It was a gamble, a fairly cheap one, and it didn't work out.

 

It's nice, though, to see so many positive things being said about him on here. It's only fair to remember that he looked like a decent, if unspectacular, PL-level centre mid four years ago, and his downfall was down to a spectacular run of foul luck, rather than his own disposition or lack of ability. It's a lot of money in wages, by my standards, for very little return, but it's good to support a club which, from time to time, tries to do the right thing.

 

And I don't know who the little French winger is either! DIabate?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2019 at 18:27, LinekersLugs said:

Has a very well paid job now as a host in the exec areas of the club , he is regimented that man He marches even when walking up the corridor , if I was in a trench of war I’d want Ally beside me , absolute warrior 

Glad to hear, I'm sure he 'hosts' as he played, heart and soul invested. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not quite ready yet to take part but did see he was flying around in the Evian training trip, any ITKs give an update on how he is progressing, as not seen any comments from the club and if he will join 1 of the match day squads for upcoming friendlies? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Obviously not quite ready yet to take part but did see he was flying around in the Evian training trip, any ITKs give an update on how he is progressing, as not seen any comments from the club and if he will join 1 of the match day squads for upcoming friendlies? 

Rodgers in post match interview on RL yesterday said he’s had a slight recurrence of an injury and out for 10-14 days. Said it was a shame as he’d trained very well. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...