Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

6 hours ago, somebum said:

Look at this guys

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/foul-mouthed-yobs-racist-rant-3722708

What a despicable waste of human organs

Scuzzbucket behaviour that seems to be becoming more normalised (though I hope not).

3 hours ago, somebum said:

He is right

If that is true, then perhaps Trump should be looking at the circumstances that caused those countries to be like that. Not entirely their own fault.

3 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/xr-extinction-rebellion-listed-extremist-ideology-police-prevent-scheme-guidance

It says that issues to look out for include people who speak in “strong or emotive terms about environmental issues like climate change, ecology, species extinction, fracking, airport expansion or pollution”.

@leicsmac Might want to watch out :ph34r:

lol That's a real Canute and the sea moment there, as ridiculous as XR often are.

I see that regarding the arrest of the UK ambassador in Iran to Sky News quote Dominic Raab referring to it as a “fragrant violation of international norms”

That should give the Iranian interpreters some pause for thought 

22 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

A man has been convicted of indecent assault on US general Norman Schwarzkopf, 60s pop star Norman Greenbaum and Northern Irish footballer Norman Whiteside.

In each case, the perpetrator attempted to ram a bouquet of flowers up the victim's rectum.

The judge described it as a "fragrant violation of international Norms".

:nigel:

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-51075235

No, Mr/Ms State Dept rep, what is "inappropriate" is one of your workers killing a foreign national and then running for cover rather than answering for it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51080567

Little bit late for that now, Mr Morrison, but at least he's saying the right things about climate change and the global response it requires now.

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

What baffles me most is that Australia decided to elect a conservative PM with ties to the Pentecostal movement, a deeply-religious evangelical group.

That background dominates his decision-making in ridiculous forms.

I suppose @ozleicester or @WigstonWanderer would concur. Such a person should've never been elected in the first place. I can see some use in a conservative leadership, but not when it mingles with radical protestantism.

Didn't know that, thank you. Wholeheartedly agree.

15 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

What baffles me most is that Australia decided to elect a conservative PM with ties to the Pentecostal movement, a deeply-religious evangelical group.

I suppose @ozleicester or @WigstonWanderer would concur. Such a person should've never been elected in the first place. I can see some use in a conservative leadership, but not when it mingles with radical protestantism.

It was dubbed an unwinnable election for Morrison, I still can’t quite work out how he pulled it off. 
Very similar to the UK I think, were Labor where fronted by a very unpopular leader, not the Corbyn sense, but one who always appeared power hungry, he was seen as the back stabbing MP behind the Gillard, Rudd fiasco, who caused turmoil for self gain. He lacked leadership and a clear plan on anything.

Combine that with a negative liberal campaign, supported by Clive Palmer - a sort of Australian Donald Trump figure, a mining magnate with his own incredibly negative political party. 
Australian politics is a bit of a mess with leader after leader since John Howard not seeing our their full 3 year term, this led to a lot of voter apathy.

Add to that, on the whole Australia is still a very conservative country and the support of the Murdoch press.

Edited by Aus Fox
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Beats me tbh. I was actually in GB at the time of the election so didn’t get the chance to vote, or indeed follow the election.

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

A few things that caused this hell on earth of a PM

1) The greed of older Australians

2) Lies and misinformation

3) a couple of VERY dodgy smaller parties who were used to split the labor vote.

While i believe that the preferential voting system is the best option...it can be highly flawed and exploited by billionaires and nationalist parties.

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

A few things that caused this hell on earth of a PM

1) The greed of older Australians

2) Lies and misinformation

3) a couple of VERY dodgy smaller parties who were used to split the labor vote.

While i believe that the preferential voting system is the best option...it can be highly flawed and exploited by billionaires and nationalist parties.

17 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-51091430

I'm 100% with this.

Smokers where I work have upto 30 mins day having a smoke breaks;

2.5 hours/ week. They ought to give non smokers Friday afternoon off or extra hols like the company in the story above.

Add vapers onto the same category as smokers.

8 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-51091430

I'm 100% with this.

Smokers where I work have upto 30 mins day having a smoke breaks;

2.5 hours/ week. They ought to give non smokers Friday afternoon off or extra hols like the company in the story above.

As a non smoker i'd be doen to have extra days off....but...

What about those who take 10 minute coffee/tea breaks or those who shit at work to kill time. Where do you draw the line?

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51101676

...and Bernie and Liz are fighting among each other rather than focusing on Biden. He (and by extension Trump) must be happy about that.

Trump would surely want to face Warren or Sanders though? The more left wing the better for the Donald.

I think Biden is the only candidate who can beat him.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Trump would surely want to face Warren or Sanders though? The more left wing the better for the Donald.

I think Biden is the only candidate who can beat him.

Were it pre 2016 I might agree with this more, but the way I see it Biden is everything Hillary was then - middle stream, politically savvy, but utterly uninspiring. That didn't beat Trump then and I don't think more of the same will beat him now, unless the public are so sick of a maverick like Trump already that they'd go for something more mainstream to settle the boat, which I'm not really convinced by. I'll have to double check some hypothetical matchup polls to back that up though.

In any case, the Overton Window in the US is so far to the right someone like Sanders would be considered only marginally left of centre practically anywhere else in the OECD. The UK is a bit of an outlier in that regard too, actually, but not nearly so much as the US is.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Were it pre 2016 I might agree with this more, but the way I see it Biden is everything Hillary was then - middle stream, politically savvy, but utterly uninspiring. That didn't beat Trump then and I don't think more of the same will beat him now, unless the public are so sick of a maverick like Trump already that they'd go for something more mainstream to settle the boat, which I'm not really convinced by. I'll have to double check some hypothetical matchup polls to back that up though.

In any case, the Overton Window in the US is so far to the right someone like Sanders would be considered only marginally left of centre practically anywhere else in the OECD. The UK is a bit of an outlier in that regard too, actually, but not nearly so much as the US is.

Fair enough, will have to agree to disagree on that

I see the US shifting to the less and even less likely than the UK.

I just don't see Sanders having a prayer, he's effectively an American Corbyn looking at him, some shocking history that the Republicans will feast on with one act of just attacking the rich.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As a sidetrack, a bit shocking to discover that Overton was only born a couple of years before me and has been dead for 17 years (crashed piloting a light aircraft).

I haven't even got a decent view out of my real-life window, never mind having a metaphorical window named after me.....

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Fair enough, will have to agree to disagree on that

I see the US shifting to the less and even less likely than the UK.

I just don't see Sanders having a prayer, he's effectively an American Corbyn looking at him, some shocking history that the Republicans will feast on with one act of just attacking the rich.

For what it's worth, I'm obviously hoping that any frontline Den nominee - whether it's Biden, Warren, Sanders or someone else - beats Trump, but I'm honestly not sure about which candidate would be most likely to do so. The above is merely an educated guess (how much do the rich control the narrative over there now?), as things are so in flux over there, and so much can happen.

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

As a sidetrack, a bit shocking to discover that Overton was only born a couple of years before me and has been dead for 17 years (crashed piloting a light aircraft).

I haven't even got a decent view out of my real-life window, never mind having a metaphorical window named after me.....

lol

I'm all seriousness though, if you look at practically all other "developed" countries you see how much a statistical outlier the US (and to a lesser extent, the UK) is in terms of the way they view their populace and their part in society.