Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

4 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Maybe it's my age or something, but for me a player ceases to be of any interest when they leave the club.

Their emotions are not engaged (usually) and - once they stop pulling on that royal blue shirt, neither are mine.

it's a bit like a one-sided love affair. You end up saying you never cared for them anyway...

I like that. It's good to move on quickly, whatevers happened has happened so let's just crack on with those that are here. 

I wouldn't deny any legacy they leave, the quality of the player, or stop looking back at their greatest moments. Just that what's happening now is more important. You can't change the past but you can influence the future. 

But even as someone who tries to keep their emotions in check, there are exceptions. A Dennis Wise for example. 

12 hours ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

Mahrez - Wanted move and (allegedly) threw toys out the pram, kicked up a fuss, had a tantrum, disturbed team morale, waited in airports for a move. 

Result? Took until he published the article of "wasting 2 years" for fans to really get the arse with him and that's not likely to be sustained. 

Maguire - Wanted move and (allegedly) conducted himself professionally, was ready to stay if a deal wasn't reached, didn't throw tantrums or knock doors down, accepted the situation that a value had to be met. 

Result? Fan base takes the piss, mocks him, boos him, talks about how he wasn't needed, thrive on signs of mistakes etc, third best defender etc. 

It will still be a great deal if it all turns out well for him. Don't know why we can't just be happy with that and move on. 

Football fan logic, I wouldn't change it. 

Maguire ranks below Spencer Prior in his achievements at our club. He can get fcuked as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, TheCryptoPoet said:

I like that. It's good to move on quickly, whatevers happened has happened so let's just crack on with those that are here. 

I wouldn't deny any legacy they leave, the quality of the player, or stop looking back at their greatest moments. Just that what's happening now is more important. You can't change the past but you can influence the future. 

But even as someone who tries to keep their emotions in check, there are exceptions. A Dennis Wise for example. 

Good point. And going back a (very) long way for a lot of us then, Derek Dougan leaving for Wolves took a lot of getting over.

Gave rise to the best ever song - for my money - that Leicester fans ever came up with ('I see the Doog, the Doog sees me - we took him out of Division Three...' etc).

Maybe I missed this point, and it was posted previously, but.._

Harry gets the rag far more than Mahrez cos

1. Soyuncu has meant we don’t miss him as much as we would have expected
  2. Harry currently plays for a huge club who are f**ked, and Schadenfraude is a great tonic

Whereas Riyad gets less compared to Harry cos

1. It was ages ago now
  2. We still have not replaced him

• Like 1

I liked neither Riyad nor Harry and I’m actually very glad they’re not here anymore. I couldn’t warm to Harry, and Riyad was a little bitch to us after we made him the player he is now. Onwards and upwards. I’m only interested in players who want to play for us and if they do want to leave and they’re respectful about it, then I wish them all the best. 

• Like 1

Everyone's got their own take and argument on this, viewed through various emotional or logical lenses. So none are particularly wrong or right. Personally I don't care enough to get the arse about any of it. We move forward with the awesome players we already have. 

14 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Mahrez was a Leicester title winner and hero. Maguire had two moderate seasons with us. Good player but soon to be forgotten I expect. 

That's it really the only reason we are still taking about Maguire is because of the fee we got for him he's an average defender at best

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Maguire ranks below Spencer Prior in his achievements at our club. He can get fcuked as far as I'm concerned.

He also ranks below Julian Watts. :jawdrop:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katy said:

I liked neither Riyad nor Harry and I’m actually very glad they’re not here anymore. I couldn’t warm to Harry, and Riyad was a little bitch to us after we made him the player he is now. Onwards and upwards. I’m only interested in players who want to play for us and if they do want to leave and they’re respectful about it, then I wish them all the best. 

Its funny but when Harry got picked for England a lot of you were wetting yourselves on here . The prestige of this club does not depend on whether our players are in the England team or not. Caglar has played for Turkey ( a bigger country than us ) nearly thirty times but nobody talks about that. Harry is a decent player and a decent bloke , we got a good deal when we sold him and I am happy with that.

I can understand comments re harry. The main issue I always had with Maguire is that he never showed any real emotion when we scored and ive watched him this year quite a bit in the reds shirt and it's the same. It's almost like he jogs over at snails pace and forces a mini fist pump and is always the last at the 'huddle'. It always concerned me when he was our player that to him it was only ever a job without any passion, which for me isn't enough. Ironically he seems to 'force' the passion now he's the man utd captain over and above when he was here. Small things. He must have been one of those transfers based solely on profit making rather than being a long term squad player that our club ethos is about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foxile5 said:

He might be many things, our best ever player included, but he isn't a 'legend'. That would put him in the company of people who loved the club and gave their all. He did neither. 

And blaming Algeria for his acting the ****. You must've strained your shoulder with that racist reach. He acted the **** because he IS one. 

I certainly didnt mean to be racist and I apologise if I came across as so.

12 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I certainly didnt mean to be racist and I apologise if I came across as so.

No drama. 

11 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

A lot of revisionism about Harry over the last couple of pages, people calling him bang average for us and the like.  First season he was one of our stand-out players and we got a lot of mileage out of his forays up the pitch (which is why teams like the Manchesters showed interest in him in the first place).  Second season he wasn't as impressive and his poorer attributes were exposed more often, probably because the team was trying to play more attacking football in general, magnifying his famously tanker-like movement whenever teams broke on us.  For the most part though his positive characteristics outweighed the negative and he was still clearly our 2nd best CB behind Evans.  £80m was always far more than he's worth and a fee to bite their hands off for but let's not pretend he was shite.  I wish him well and I'll always have a soft spot for him. I'm still enjoying the schadenfreude of the whole affair.

Mahrez is going to be on our all time best XI for a very long time I have no doubt, but his attitude both when he was here and after he's left sadly makes him far from a club legend. Still though, there's no changing that at one point I was completely in love with the guy and his impossibly skinny legs and I'll always have a little soft spot for him.

Soft spot yeah......a swamp in Louisiana?

As others have mentioned, I don't think Maguire put much of a foot wrong in his first season with us, backed up by him arguably being the best player for England in the WC that year.

But the following season (similar to Riyad) once his head was turned, he seemed to just drift out of matches and I never quite felt he was giving it his best. Whilst he made some costly mistakes, I don't think it was simply a case of him being exposed. But almost as if he didn't want to risk an injury that might scupper his chances of the move to United. At least that's how I saw it. I do think he is a confidence player and wouldn't be surprised if he has a good spell some time soon at United though. Can't say I have any bad feelings towards him and though he had his head turned and made it obvious, I felt he was always a respectful, amiable sort.

As for Riyad, again as others have mentioned, he is undoubtedly one of our best ever players (perhaps the greatest virtuoso player) in the club's history. He helped us gain promotion to the PL in the first place, helped us stay up, then helped us to the PL title with some unbelievable footwork, fantastic strikes and numerous assists of his own. Not to mention multiple games in which he single-handedly clinched 3 points for us with the kind of magical goal that makes kids want to play football in the first place and has adults in wonderment. 

But his lack of effort for at least a year before his departure and behaviour in the months before he left was highly disappointing, if a little hurtful. That coupled with his recent comments in which he portrayed us negatively means his place as a club legend will always have a hollow, disingenuous feel to it for me. It didn't have to be that way and had he given his all until the Summer of 2018, then left to go to City, he'd have almost all of us onboard with affection towards him rather than polarised.

Also, for what it's worth, I feel he cost us 6 - 9 points in 2018 as we were a handful of points away from Arsenal in 6th place who then went on to lose several games. Curious to know if anyone remembers that period and whether they think I'm wrong there? I just seem to recall a genuine feeling of cohesion and momentum leading up to that Everton away match in which he began his AWOL period. Then we know the rest...

Edited by Kendal Fox
  • Like 1

Without Mahrez we wouldn't have won the league simple as that, his goals and assists and general all round brilliance on the pitch were a huge, huge part of our greatest achievement. Harry was a good player for us but didn't achieve anything of note or contribute to anything substantive so for that reason I'll always love Riyad and be indifferent towards Harry, regardless of what they do or say after, it's after, it's like forgetting the breathtaking love you had because your now ex has told you you're a ****, doesn't change what happened at the time.

Without Mahrez we wouldn't have won the league simple as that, his goals and assists and general all round brilliance on the pitch were a huge, huge part of our greatest achievement. Harry was a good player for us but didn't achieve anything of note or contribute to anything substantive so for that reason I'll always love Riyad and be indifferent towards Harry, regardless of what they do or say after, it's after, it's like forgetting the breathtaking love you had because your now ex has told you you're a ****, doesn't change what happened at the time.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

A lot of revisionism about Harry over the last couple of pages, people calling him bang average for us and the like.  First season he was one of our stand-out players and we got a lot of mileage out of his forays up the pitch (which is why teams like the Manchesters showed interest in him in the first place).  Second season he wasn't as impressive and his poorer attributes were exposed more often, probably because the team was trying to play more attacking football in general, magnifying his famously tanker-like movement whenever teams broke on us.  For the most part though his positive characteristics outweighed the negative and he was still clearly our 2nd best CB behind Evans.  £80m was always far more than he's worth and a fee to bite their hands off for but let's not pretend he was shite.  I wish him well and I'll always have a soft spot for him. I'm still enjoying the schadenfreude of the whole affair.

Mahrez is going to be on our all time best XI for a very long time I have no doubt, but his attitude both when he was here and after he's left sadly makes him far from a club legend. Still though, there's no changing that at one point I was completely in love with the guy and his impossibly skinny legs and I'll always have a little soft spot for him.

I second everything what you wrote about Harry. As for Mahrez, his behaviour after the 15/16 made me dislike him strongly, and because of that (what how he behaved) he'll never be a legend to me.

Maguire's first season, he literally hit the ground running (just as Wilf did in his first), and his offensive runs endeared him to me and quite a few fans, gave us so much joy. Even if he was sometimes caught with his pants twisted around ankles his last season, not being very mobile, he still compares so much more favourably with Mahrez because of his conduct on and off the pitch. And Maguire was never a primadonna like Mahrez the "Algerian prince" who since his transfer to Arsenal was refused, behaved like he was indeed some sort of royal prisoner, suddenly too precious for the cruel Leicester City to put in a 100% into his games, sulking his way and doing his best to become invisible every second match. Let's not forget his 10 days strike in January-February '18, which for me was the final straw, shockingly immature, hurtful for the club, simply unforgivable. 

Obviously, ManU overpaid for Harry, quite spectacularily, but that's not his fault! And the fact they did doesn't make him a shit, or average player. The fact that we are lucky to have Cags who we can compare to Harry and who walked into his shoes so quickly and comfortably and can be considered an improvement doesnt mean that Maguire was bad! He was a more than capable defender for us (bar few bad games, Chilwell has had a lot more of those this season) and I will always fondly remember his mazy runs and crazy dribling skills. Mahrez managed to the impossible, in my eyes he has completely tarnished his legacy, what he did for us during the title winning season... so no soft spot for the precious prince here lol

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I second everything what you wrote about Harry. As for Mahrez, his behaviour after the 15/16 made me dislike him strongly, and because of that (what how he behaved) he'll never be a legend to me.

Maguire's first season, he literally hit the ground running (just as Wilf did in his first), and his offensive runs endeared him to me and quite a few fans, gave us so much joy. Even if he was sometimes caught with his pants twisted around ankles his last season, not being very mobile, he still compares so much more favourably with Mahrez because of his conduct on and off the pitch. And Maguire was never a primadonna like Mahrez the "Algerian prince" who since his transfer to Arsenal was refused, behaved like he was indeed some sort of royal prisoner, suddenly too precious for the cruel Leicester City to put in a 100% into his games, sulking his way and doing his best to become invisible every second match. Let's not forget his 10 days strike in Janurary '18, which for me was the final straw, shockingly immature, hurtful for the club, simply unforgivable. 

Obviously, ManU overpaid for Harry, quite spectacularily, but that's not his fault! And the fact they did doesn't make him a shit, or average player. The fact that we are lucky to have Cags who we can compare to Harry and who walked into his shoes so quickly and comfortably and can be considered an improvement doesnt mean that Maguire was bad! He was a more than capable defender for us (bar few bad games, Chilwell has had a lot more of those this season) and I will always fondly remember his mazy runs and crazy dribling skills. Mahrez managed to the impossible, in my eyes he has completely tarnished his legacy, what he did for us during the title winning season... so no soft spot for the precious prince here lol

The only reason Maguire will be remembered at Leicester in the future is a massive 80m price tag .. Mahrez is remembered as a title winner who had 3 or 4 memorable seasons with us .. granted at the time the way he forced his move was childish he will be remembered in helping us win a Prem league title.

There is no comparison 

• Like 2

I was all ready to be sensible, balanced and polite... and then someone mentions Dennis ****ing Wise. Mention of that name alone is liable to have me putting walls through and throttling the cutest of kittens.

Whatever the ills of Maguire and/or Mahrez, they don't come anywhere near those of that vile little **** I'm hoping all would agree with no matter where you stand on any other debate.

6 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Its funny but when Harry got picked for England a lot of you were wetting yourselves on here . The prestige of this club does not depend on whether our players are in the England team or not. Caglar has played for Turkey ( a bigger country than us ) nearly thirty times but nobody talks about that. Harry is a decent player and a decent bloke , we got a good deal when we sold him and I am happy with that.

I can categorically state I did not ‘wet myself’ on here or anywhere else when Harry got picked for England, so not funny at all really. I never mentioned him playing for England in my post either so not sure where that came from. I think Çağlar is great and I’m very proud of him for playing for Turkey nearly 30 times, I’ll be gutted when he leaves us. 

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Spot. On. 👏🏼

8 minutes ago, mabrah said:

I was all ready to be sensible, balanced and polite... and then someone mentions Dennis ****ing Wise. Mention of that name alone is liable to have me putting walls through and throttling the cutest of kittens.

Whatever the ills of Maguire and/or Mahrez, they don't come anywhere near those of that vile little **** I'm hoping all would agree with no matter where you stand on any other debate.

I mentioned him, with the point being just what you stated. Thought that was pretty clear but apparently not. 

Just now, TheCryptoPoet said:

I mentioned him, with the point being just what you stated. Thought that was pretty clear but apparently not. 

On the contrary; both clear and worth endorsing!