Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
StanSP

Dennis Praet - Finally Signed!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bazly said:

Talk is that he is a goal scoring threat but his goal scoring record isn't great. Pity as we could do with another Mahrez type who can come up with 15 goals a season.

 

It's looking more and more like Gray is going to be joining Andy King on the outside looking in with probably Mendy and Silva for company in the reserves or as the seniors in the U23. It's looking more like Albrighton is going to be looking over his shoulder for game time to. Its an already crowded midfield with Ndidi and Tielemans bolts on and Choudhary and Maddison in the mix for regular starts.

 

We sure have a crowded middle of the park. Praet seems to be the great hope to replace Maddison who is always under speculation of an impending departure.

And we also have Barnes (and Ghezzal). Our reserves will be better than many lower table teams! I hope Barnes gets some decent minutes though as he is a real talent, and as many of us said last season, he gave us more buzz in many of the games he played in than Madders (who had a poor second half of season) - dont shoot me down for this but you can all check the forums from last season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Looks like Marc Albrighton's better-looking brother.

Nobody will be able to tell them apart on the pitch now.

 

197384525001202.gif?c256x256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eden De Bruyne said:

Good video to show his qualities and playing style:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMoNh6IO3eA

That's a really good video actually.

 

First thing that stands out is he plays like he has a really low centre of gravity, and can quickly manoeuvre his body to escape tight situations as well having the quick feet to match. Can see why Rodgers would like his style.

 

Could have used a player like him versus Newcastle at home last season when we simply couldn't escape their high press. 

 

 

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ecdysiast said:

Thanks for this...good video. Tenacity, spatial awareness, quick feet. Looks quality

Looking at that, he is the pass that leads to the assist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Looking at that, he is the pass that leads to the assist.

...and the pass that led to a lot of shit attempts on goal. Let's hope we can rectify that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very exciting signing as others have said and it's interesting that so many neutrals especially from Italy rate him very highly. I think the best comparison to him is Lucas Torreira of Arsenal who was also signed from Sampdoria, even if the two are totally different types of player. I think Torreira is overrated but he's certainly a good player and definitely plays at a level I would expect of a top 4 / top 6 midfielder. So if Praet is at that level, which by all means he should be, then we have a very good player on our hands indeed.

 

The elephant in the room in all this is "where is our winger!?" It's very eye-opening that despite 3 transfer windows going by, we have not like-for-like replaced Riyad Mahrez, which on paper is a very strange turn of events given how we signed 3 centre backs last season to prepare for the potential departure of Maguire and Morgan ageing. That we again didn't sign a winger cannot be a coincidence. I know Perez can play wide right, but he is not the same type of player at all, even though I am very bullish on him as a player based on what I have seen so far.

 

So what does it all mean? Well I wonder if the club has scoured Europe and realised that wingers with 10+ goals and assists just don't grow on trees. Pepe went for 70m, and Palace wanted the same for Zaha who doesn't even have stats like that. Watford just spent 36m on Sarr who came from a midtable French club and totally unproven at this level of competition. If you want high quality wide men, it's going to cost a bomb and a club is going to need more than one. Man City took Mahrez from us simply to add more options to their squad because it's so integral to the way they play. So if that's how a club like that operates, what chance does it give to the midtable ones?

 

So here is where Praet comes in. Rodgers is a really smart coach, who has proven his tactical nous on multiple occasions. Instead of framing the problem as "how can we get quality wide men into the club" he may instead of looked at his team and thought "how can I get the best out of the players I have with minimal signings required?" And that is probably why we are going to see the 442 Diamond a lot this season. When we signed Tielemans, we were all very curious to see if he was any good, and I don't think anyone can really believe that not only was he so much better than we thought, but that he would end up joining us full time. He was quite simply a revelation. This player potentially could be on the same level and that would massively improve our team. I doubt Praet has quite the upper ceiling that Youri has, but even if he's "only" as good as Tielemans is right now, that is still going to be one hell of a player.

 

We will have to see what happens as the season progresses but I think this guy has the technical ability to be a key player. The 26 shirt has not been given to anyone since Mahrez left until now. That for me says that (1). the player rates himself and (2). the club rates him highly to give him that shirt. It wouldn't surprise me if a midfield of Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet and Maddison ends up being our secret sauce to helping us get a European place this season. Time will tell!

Agree with a lot of this but I don't buy that we are choosing not to replace Mahrez because of the cost involved, don't be brainwashed by what Puel said. That's like saying we won't stop at nothing to replace Vardy when he is done here as the cost involved to get a 20 goal a season striker would be obscene. You still try, even if a few risks are taken.

 

I think the importance of wingers isn't a prerogative of Rodgers. I'm not sure what happened under Puel last summer, he said there was no point trying to replace Mahrez which was odd but given the managers aren't in charge of transfers on their own it must be a shared decision. Rodgers style of play suggests it isnt essential we have a plethora of ripsnorting wingers, even if I think that could be our biggest obstacle in our pursuit of the top 7, if and when we need such a player our options are our weakest link. I just hope Barnes finally makes it here with end product, he's done it with ease at every other level and its surely only a matter of time with the underlying stats of his? I really hope so and in many ways not signing another winger to get in his way has pleased me in a sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Agree with a lot of this but I don't buy that we are choosing not to replace Mahrez because of ththcost involved, don't be brainwashed by what Puel said. That's like saying we won't stop at nothing to replace Vardy when he is done here as the cost involved to get a 20 goal a season striker would be obscene. You still try, even if a few risks are taken.

 

I think the importance of wingers isn't a prerogative of Rodgers. I'm not sure what happened under Puel last summer, he said there was no point trying to replace Mahrez which was odd but given the managers aren't in charge of transfers on their own it must be a shared decision. Rodgers style of play suggests it isnt essential we have a plethora of riosnorting wingers, even if I think that could be our biggest obstacle in our pursuit of the top 7, if and when we need such a player our options are our weakest link. I just hope Barnes finally makes it here with end product, he's done it with ease at every other level and its surely only a matter of time with the underlying stats of his? I really hope so and in many ways not signing another winger to get in his way has pleased me in a sense.

Off the top of my head, wingers signed in the Premier league over the last two seasons:

- Mahrez. 60m.
- Shaqiri. 12m
- Elynoussi. 18m
- Jahanbaksh. 18m
- Ghezzal. 12.5m

- Bernard. Free.

- Felipe Anderson. 35m

- Richarlison. 25m

- Pepe 70m.

- Trossard. 24m.

- Iwobi. 28m.

- Sarr 36m.
 

A lot of these players have turned out to be very average indeed, and the good ones have generally been the expensive ones. Listen I would personally have LOVED to have seen a top quality wide man here. Vardy is my favourite player, but good god was Riyad Mahrez one of my favourite ever LCFC players to watch. He was an absolute joy to watch raid down that right wing and his touch, technique and goals superb.

 

It could well be a mistake not to sign a winger, but I'm merely suggesting a possible reason why we decided to prioritise Praet over a winger. We shall see if it turns out to be a good move or not!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

...and the pass that led to a lot of shit attempts on goal. Let's hope we can rectify that. 

Yes noted that as well, his stats should be much better was let down by a lot of awful finishing on this evidence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very exciting signing as others have said and it's interesting that so many neutrals especially from Italy rate him very highly. I think the best comparison to him is Lucas Torreira of Arsenal who was also signed from Sampdoria, even if the two are totally different types of player. I think Torreira is overrated but he's certainly a good player and definitely plays at a level I would expect of a top 4 / top 6 midfielder. So if Praet is at that level, which by all means he should be, then we have a very good player on our hands indeed.

 

The elephant in the room in all this is "where is our winger!?" It's very eye-opening that despite 3 transfer windows going by, we have not like-for-like replaced Riyad Mahrez, which on paper is a very strange turn of events given how we signed 3 centre backs last season to prepare for the potential departure of Maguire and Morgan ageing. That we again didn't sign a winger cannot be a coincidence. I know Perez can play wide right, but he is not the same type of player at all, even though I am very bullish on him as a player based on what I have seen so far.

 

So what does it all mean? Well I wonder if the club has scoured Europe and realised that wingers with 10+ goals and assists just don't grow on trees. Pepe went for 70m, and Palace wanted the same for Zaha who doesn't even have stats like that. Watford just spent 36m on Sarr who came from a midtable French club and totally unproven at this level of competition. If you want high quality wide men, it's going to cost a bomb and a club is going to need more than one. Man City took Mahrez from us simply to add more options to their squad because it's so integral to the way they play. So if that's how a club like that operates, what chance does it give to the midtable ones?

 

So here is where Praet comes in. Rodgers is a really smart coach, who has proven his tactical nous on multiple occasions. Instead of framing the problem as "how can we get quality wide men into the club" he may instead of looked at his team and thought "how can I get the best out of the players I have with minimal signings required?" And that is probably why we are going to see the 442 Diamond a lot this season. When we signed Tielemans, we were all very curious to see if he was any good, and I don't think anyone can really believe that not only was he so much better than we thought, but that he would end up joining us full time. He was quite simply a revelation. This player potentially could be on the same level and that would massively improve our team. I doubt Praet has quite the upper ceiling that Youri has, but even if he's "only" as good as Tielemans is right now, that is still going to be one hell of a player.

 

We will have to see what happens as the season progresses but I think this guy has the technical ability to be a key player. The 26 shirt has not been given to anyone since Mahrez left until now. That for me says that (1). the player rates himself and (2). the club rates him highly to give him that shirt. It wouldn't surprise me if a midfield of Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet and Maddison ends up being our secret sauce to helping us get a European place this season. Time will tell!

Shit mate.Brendans gonna fool us all...

 He's picking...

 

      Choudry Mendy

            Tielemans

Gray.     Nacho.   Barnes

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

More like the upmarket  halls of Oxford,  Prat...I speak flemmish/Dutch..,But to help...

 

https://forvo.com/word/praet/

 

Majority of English are Deaf to slight Variations of slight accentation in Flemish/Dutch(Chinese of europe)

Thats Why many keep their English Accent ,unless they learn young..

Also Germans got caught out...Schiphol...a Often used password, in WWII also further in the past...

 

 

So prat but with a southern a but less of the southern AR? We've only got one Dennis. I'm calling him Dennis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very exciting signing as others have said and it's interesting that so many neutrals especially from Italy rate him very highly. I think the best comparison to him is Lucas Torreira of Arsenal who was also signed from Sampdoria, even if the two are totally different types of player. I think Torreira is overrated but he's certainly a good player and definitely plays at a level I would expect of a top 4 / top 6 midfielder. So if Praet is at that level, which by all means he should be, then we have a very good player on our hands indeed.

 

The elephant in the room in all this is "where is our winger!?" It's very eye-opening that despite 3 transfer windows going by, we have not like-for-like replaced Riyad Mahrez, which on paper is a very strange turn of events given how we signed 3 centre backs last season to prepare for the potential departure of Maguire and Morgan ageing. That we again didn't sign a winger cannot be a coincidence. I know Perez can play wide right, but he is not the same type of player at all, even though I am very bullish on him as a player based on what I have seen so far.

 

So what does it all mean? Well I wonder if the club has scoured Europe and realised that wingers with 10+ goals and assists just don't grow on trees. Pepe went for 70m, and Palace wanted the same for Zaha who doesn't even have stats like that. Watford just spent 36m on Sarr who came from a midtable French club and totally unproven at this level of competition. If you want high quality wide men, it's going to cost a bomb and a club is going to need more than one. Man City took Mahrez from us simply to add more options to their squad because it's so integral to the way they play. So if that's how a club like that operates, what chance does it give to the midtable ones?

 

So here is where Praet comes in. Rodgers is a really smart coach, who has proven his tactical nous on multiple occasions. Instead of framing the problem as "how can we get quality wide men into the club" he may instead of looked at his team and thought "how can I get the best out of the players I have with minimal signings required?" And that is probably why we are going to see the 442 Diamond a lot this season. When we signed Tielemans, we were all very curious to see if he was any good, and I don't think anyone can really believe that not only was he so much better than we thought, but that he would end up joining us full time. He was quite simply a revelation. This player potentially could be on the same level and that would massively improve our team. I doubt Praet has quite the upper ceiling that Youri has, but even if he's "only" as good as Tielemans is right now, that is still going to be one hell of a player.

 

We will have to see what happens as the season progresses but I think this guy has the technical ability to be a key player. The 26 shirt has not been given to anyone since Mahrez left until now. That for me says that (1). the player rates himself and (2). the club rates him highly to give him that shirt. It wouldn't surprise me if a midfield of Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet and Maddison ends up being our secret sauce to helping us get a European place this season. Time will tell!

And Barnes in a 442 diamond?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eden De Bruyne said:

Good video to show his qualities and playing style:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMoNh6IO3eA

Thanks for this! Really good insight into how he plays.

 

I'm not bloody surprised his goal and assist stats are lower than you'd expect - Samp's final ball and finishing was utterly woeful in that video at times!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

And Barnes in a 442 diamond?

Can play as the 10 or as one of the forwards. He'll get a lot of game time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martyn said:

That's a really good video actually.

 

First thing that stands out is he plays like he has a really low centre of gravity, and can quickly manoeuvre his body to escape tight situations as well having the quick feet to match. Can see why Rodgers would like his style.

 

Could have used a player like him versus Newcastle at home last season when we simply couldn't escape their high press. 

 

 

He looks to be what we expected we were getting from Adrian Silva.  A ball controlling fast on his feet midfield general.  Tielemans and Maddison will be under less pressure with Praet playing along side.  Suits BR's style of play perfectly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

And Barnes in a 442 diamond?

No he would miss out in a diamond. Note that Barnes did not start versus Stoke or Atalanta in preseason.

 

By the way I don't think Rodgers will stick with the same system throughout the season, but I think when we sign a player like this on a 5 year deal, it means he's going to be played regularly!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shane said:

Pre assist guys are essential and very underrated. 

 

Not as much as the pre pre-assist guys.

 

They never get the plaudits.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks to be the perfect player to use against a side that packs the midfield. Wins the ball and keeps possession very well, great feet in close quarters. Should free up the more creative players to do what they do best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think another winger would have been overload. We've got Albrighton and Barnes who have featured as out-and-out wingers. Gray who they've obviously decided should be given another chance. Ghezzal, if we choose to register him and fail to off-load him to a European side. Pereira has played as a conventional winger on the right as well.

 

Then there's Perez who is, I'd imagine, frequently going to play on the right of a 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1 this season and encouraged to cut in. Maddison has often been asked to do the same from the left. Praet has been played on the flanks before in a similar sort of role.

 

So we've got five wingers for two slots and a further three slightly less conventional wingers who can fill those roles too. Yes, the 4-1-2-1-2 will be used too, but I think it's merely a case of us giving ourselves another string to our bow. It's a way of sticking two up top, or combatting sides that crowd out the midfield.

 

And if you look at heat maps of a diamond and of 3-5-2, they're often not too dissimilar - one midfielder often drops back into the back-line, the full backs are advanced, the midfield is crowded out, two up front etc., so it may even be a case of Rodgers having tried and discarded 3-5-2, but still needing a means to the same end.

 

Of course, Praet is definitely the sort of player that could help us make something like that work. I wouldn't be shocked if Rodgers saw the Stoke friendly and thought we lacked the personnel to really pull that formation off, and that this realisation nudged us further towards signing Praet. But I'd be surprised if the signing indicated that the Plan B was going to become Plan A, not least because Praet may also have a lot to offer in Plan A.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...