Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but if you really believe that Hillsborough was caused by terraces or by drunken fans, then your opinion is woefully ill-informed.

The cause was too many fans trying to get in at the same time, everything else was a consequence of that.

14 hours ago, Bert said:

No, they’re independent. They’re also told what the minimum they’re allowed to charge by the club. Which is why it’s dearer outside than inside. 

I always thought the burger vans were cheaper than inside the ground. 

36 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Of course I know why the cages were there. It just surprises me that the authorities didn't anticipate that putting very large numbers of people into an enclosed space with no escape route would not eventually result in tragedy. Safer solutions were surely available.

The problem now is that because all-seater stadiums were enforced after Hillsborough, any effort to reintroduce standing will be portrayed by some people as a backwards step. It wouldn't be, of course - terraces did not kill those poor people at Hillsborough and introducing safe standing would not represent a lowering of safety standards. But the issue is so emotive that the authorities may just decide it's easier to maintain their anti-terrace stance rather than accept that safe standing would be perfectly safe and viable.

You're right, it would be easy for them to take that stance but with the great benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't have thought safe standing practically speaking shouldn't be a problem. If you had 32, 000 seats in a ground you wouldn't logically let 33,000 supporters in. I don't see standing areas being any different with 'standing area'  strict turnstile controls. Not knowing quite how it works though, there may be more popular particular areas within the standing end ie distance from the front for example in which case there could be cramped conditions unless there's some kind of an allotted individual standing position?

Guest Markyblue

I want to sit at games but why anybody would have a problem with safe standing for those that want it is baffling. 

Safe standing suits young adults. .. older supporters or families are not keen.

How many maych day supporters are between 18 and 30... and what proportion want standing.

It seems young adults dont make the commitment or dont have the cash for a season ticket....

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

What culture though? People already have created standing areas at all grounds pretty much anyway. Like at ours it's the L1 idiots and the union FS corner, at old Trafford it's the two ends etc etc just because occasionally some twats over celebrate a goal and fall over doesn't mean we should bring back terracing

A couple of points of order:

- No one is trying to "bring back terracing". Safe standing technology is entirely different.

- Correct, standing areas have appeared of their own accord. But you yourself have complained this can lead to disputes over your child being able to see. Officially designated areas would solve issues like that, and also lead to people who want to stand but are currently conscious of breaking the rules in all-seater stadia being able to do so.

- There are plenty of good lads in L1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

It's sad that you've decided to link standing at Leicester with anti-social behaviour, when you know full well only a minority of those who stand behave like that (and some who sit do too!). See our away ends for example, most stand but you'd have to be extremely soft to think a majority of people in those ends are acting in an anti-social manner. All those who support safe standing want is a safe area where they can do so, which would benefit both standers and those who prefer to sit. They have everyone's interests at heart in campaigning for this.

In any case, I see more people in far worse states on the Saturdays of Test cricket than I ever have at any City game.

I got tickets late for Wolves, so was NN in the Family Stand. There were a few persistent standers, but they made sure no one was sitting behind them -- one couple even swapped seats so they wouldn't block my family's view.

I am not a stander, but don't see the problem with safe standing.

(I'm an American, and we never had European-style terracing. It looks terrifying.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Safe standing suits young adults. .. older supporters or families are not keen.

How many maych day supporters are between 18 and 30... and what proportion want standing.

It seems young adults dont make the commitment or dont have the cash for a season ticket....

Bit of a sweeping statement there mate. 

Didn't appreciate the dig at young adults there either.

I've seen tonnes of "older people" standing for entire games and at away days. Some may not want to and therefore they won't stand in the safe standing regions.

People are acting as if the entire ground will be turned into safe standing. It's going to be one small section for those who want it. The rest of you won't be affected and can carry on as you are. I don't get the continual moaning. 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I got tickets late for Wolves, so was NN in the Family Stand. There were a few persistent standers, but they made sure no one was sitting behind them -- one couple even swapped seats so they wouldn't block my family's view.

I am not a stander, but don't see the problem with safe standing.

(I'm an American, and we never had European-style terracing. It looks terrifying.)

I stand on an open terrace regularly on visits to Germany, and it's really nothing to be afraid of when people understand how to spread out and use it properly, and it's properly policed. In fact, I love it. I've also stood on terraces while watching Leicester in lower leagues in recent years and, again, it's absolutely fine.

That said, most have come to accept that the best way to get standing areas implemented in presently all-seater stadia here is through campaigning for rail seating, or "safe standing" areas with barriers on every single row, which is a totally different technology. It really is the way forward and would benefit everybody, whether they prefer to stand or sit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I don't think this person is even worth arguing with, probably get more sense and conversation out of a brick wall. He is one of the minority of people who just like to be a pain in the backside to anyone because he can. Waste of space/breath.

Any normal person can understand there are two sides to arguments, which the majority on here do. In this instance it's simple. People want to stand, they should have a section to stand. People want to sit, they have a section to sit. At the minute, everyone is mixed in and this causes issues where people standing are annoying people who want to sit and vice versa.

There's not two sides to this argument though. I think there will be a lot of fans who aren't really bothered if it comes in or not, as long as it's not where they sit, for lots of reasons, and i know for the greater good and all that, but there will be a number of fans who've supported the club for years who are suddenly going to find themselves moved to another part of the ground. Another point as well, if they introduce it in the kop, then that area will be designated as standing, what about L1, will that no longer be standing or vice-versa! 

Edited by yorkie1999

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Bit of a sweeping statement there mate. 

Didn't appreciate the dig at young adults there either.

I've seen tonnes of "older people" standing for entire games and at away days. Some may not want to and therefore they won't stand in the safe standing regions.

People are acting as if the entire ground will be turned into safe standing. It's going to be one small section for those who want it. The rest of you won't be affected and can carry on as you are. I don't get the continual moaning. 

I wasnt having a dig... i was trying to say we need to get a good estimate on the actual demand  so that we can provide an appropiate section.  

I will admit that i the statistician in me suspects  this might be smaller than the volume from the campaigners might suggest

11 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Interestingly though Orlando City in their new stadium opened up a decent sized terrace and appear to even split that into sections as to what people what. 

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

There's not two sides to this argument though. I think there will be a lot of fans who aren't really bothered if it comes in or not, as long as it's not where they sit, for lots of reasons, and i know for the greater good and all that, but there will be a number of fans who've supported the club for years who are suddenly going to find themselves moved to another part of the ground.

A new stand gives opportunity to avoid that or alternatively offer mitigating options. It certainly wouldn't be 'suddenly' if it's part of the extension process. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I wasnt having a dig... i was trying to say we need to get a good estimate on the actual demand  so that we can provide an appropiate section.  

I will admit that i the statistician in me suspects  this might be smaller than the volume from the campaigners might suggest

I think that's why they are doing this survey! I feel there are a lot of young fans and I also feel that they are not entirely being catered for. Afterall, these are the next generation. The older ones once were the young ones too. Season tickets are a big commitment both to go to all the games but more financially too. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford £35-60 each month. Safe standing could hopefully be an opportunity to create some more affordable areas for those who may not have a lot of spending money every month.

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Will be interesting to see. When Wolves surveyed their South Bank season ticket holders, 97% wanted it. 

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

There's not two sides to this argument though. I think there will be a lot of fans who aren't really bothered if it comes in or not, as long as it's not where they sit, for lots of reasons, and i know for the greater good and all that, but there will be a number of fans who've supported the club for years who are suddenly going to find themselves moved to another part of the ground.

They had to move 500 or so yards into a new ground 17 or so years ago. Change happens. On the balance, 3-5,000 people (rough estimate) are going to be accommodated at the expense of a few hundred. On top of that, it will prevent the majority of people who sit down to have their view obstructed by people who want to stand (as they will now have their own area to do so together).

The ground is being changed and redeveloped, there is not a better time to move some people around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I don't really understand people who are anti safe standing. 

Safe standing is like gay marriage, you don't want to marry a gay man, you don't have to. You don't want to stand in a safe standing spot? You don't have to. 

What is there to be anti? 

Clearly there's enough people that want to do it that it's viable for clubs to install a block. 

The only worry I can understand is that people won't want to have to move from their seats to have safe standing put in it's place.

But, assuming the club do it properly, they'll put them in L1/top of SK4/top of SK1 where people already stand.

I first started watching football in the old Kop at Filbert Street. I loved standing and the atmosphere generated in pen 3. 

I sit in a similar position at the KPS as I stood all those years ago. The demographic of the people in the area has changed. There are many more women, many more older people, many more people who want to sit and watch quietly.

I’ve long thought that a true atmosphere will only return when safe standing returns. The like minded fans can stand together and, although it’s a sweeping statement, I feel this area will also contain the more vocal fans. The chants and songs will not die out as they do now when they reach the old lady doing her knitting or the old fella reaching for his flask, That’s not to undermine the value of those fans at all.

In fact those older fans are similar to me. 30 years on I don’t want to stand and jump around anymore. With age and maturity I’m far less vocal than I used to be. I’m happy to sit and watch now. 

But I’m a firm believer that safe standing will enhance the match day experience for many and probably for all with the atmosphere it will generate. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

The only worry I can understand is that people won't want to have to move from their seats to have safe standing put in it's place.

But, assuming the club do it properly, they'll put them in L1/top of SK4/top of SK1 where people already stand.

I'd be surprised if they put it in L1 tbh as I imagine they'll want it nowhere near the away fans. 

But otherwise yeah you're probably right. 

Literally wherever they put it, though, someone's going to moan that they don't want to stand and they "have to" move. 

Would imagine the club would guarantee them a seat elsewhere and they'll moan anyway because that's just people. 

Quite surprised by the pricing proposed as it seemed to go from one extreme to the other. I'd personally happily pay a few hundred pounds more for my season ticket with a few added perks but most of the options presented were around £800 more and whilst I'd like to upgrade I simply can't justify such a big jump as it just doesn't represent value for money in my opinion.

If the club are serious about increasing match day revenues then I think that they need to find some middle ground. Some of the prices proposed were similar to what a few of my Arsenal supporting mates pay for their Club Level Season Tickets, and with all due respect to us we're a Midlands based club so the London premium isn't applicable, and we simply don't have the heritage of a club like Arsenal to warrant such prices. 

Still got to change the culture that is increasingly setting in down on The Way of getting more folks to sing. Numbers that actually do sing for more than two songs must be at the lowest for decades.

That section when it comes ought to have every single person pulling in the same direction.

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

What culture though? People already have created standing areas at all grounds pretty much anyway. Like at ours it's the L1 idiots and the union FS corner, at old Trafford it's the two ends etc etc just because occasionally some twats over celebrate a goal and fall over doesn't mean we should bring back terracing

This shows you're completely ignorant on the subject that you're trying to talk about.