Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

I would expect anybody in an area that turned into safe standing would get first choice, the problem will be the people in that area that still want to sit and are not happy about moving. 

So what happens if they turn an area over to safe standing and most people are happy to stay in it but hardly any of them are interested in singing and chanting. I think the first thing that needs establishing is would a standing section actually improve the atmosphere at the ground or would it be a case of 30-40 people singing/trying to start something going and 1800 odd just standing there.

28 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

So is the seat permanently locked back when it is safe standing?

What if I want to take the weight off at half time?

Depends what model of seat is used. Some are locked up and some flip down like a conventional seat. So if you want to sit down at half time for instance you can. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Really not a good comparison with Hillsborough. :(

I can’t see everyone wanting to stand and jump about in a safe standing area for 90 min+.Its just not like it was in sk3 at filbo.I cant see that atmosphere ever coming back imo! As for the ground.I think the new concourse and fanzone  will be great,however the estimated 7500 extra seats won’t cut it for me.We could fill 40k now,and if the club are striving to be a top six side even more fans will want to go down.Does anyone know if their is infrastructure in place to expand beyond 40k??:scarf:

Edited by Speedwell 🦊

31 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So what happens if they turn an area over to safe standing and most people are happy to stay in it but hardly any of them are interested in singing and chanting. I think the first thing that needs establishing is would a standing section actually improve the atmosphere at the ground or would it be a case of 30-40 people singing/trying to start something going and 1800 odd just standing there.

For starters it would help congregate all of the fans willing to create an atmosphere that are currently grouped at the back of the Kop, in SK1, in L1 and then the pockets of fans all over the shop who can't get anything going sitting in a graveyard spot.

Having a "vocal" section which may well be a safe standing section would allow everyone to get together. Then the rest of the stadium can continue to sit in silence or join in now and then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Depends what model of seat is used. Some are locked up and some flip down like a conventional seat. So if you want to sit down at half time for instance you can. 

So I may need to bring an allen key or screwdriver with me. Good to know. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Now this I do get fairly anti to be honest because this is just ****ing rude. 

Boils my piss at away games when you rock up and there's a bunch of banter lads standing in your space because they want to stand with their mates and they don't give a toss about anyone else so you're either cramped in to a spot or they expect you to find somewhere else because "it's standing mate just stand where you like."

That's me going straight to the ****ing steward tbh. 

Stand where you've booked. 

A bit of spillage here and then, you know, the whole row ends up drifting a seat or two to the left no big deal. But let's not be ***** about it. 

I think this is one of the major problems with bringing terracing back (or safe standing) in this country. 

We just don't follow rules like many of our European counterparts. 

In Germany, for example, you have your allocated space and that's where you stand. 

I really do think stewards will struggle to get groups to not gather in those spaces which could be a problem. 

If it comes in, I think they'll have to be tough rules put in place and possibly a confiscation of a season ticket if ST holders don't do this. 

Edited by Hollyfox

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

For starters it would help congregate all of the fans willing to create an atmosphere that are currently grouped at the back of the Kop, in SK1, in L1 and then the pockets of fans all over the shop who can't get anything going sitting in a graveyard spot.

Having a "vocal" section which may well be a safe standing section would allow everyone to get together. Then the rest of the stadium can continue to sit in silence or join in now and then.

I understand all the benefits that go with safe-standing and it's fairly obvious what it allows so no need to try and sell it to me, but what i'm talking about is the logistics of it. It's not going to be a case of, install safe standing and pass it over to the fans in a free for all is it, so if you can't get fans to move from their current area, it's not going to work. There may be fans who fancy a move, but not on mass, so it's either a case of "right, you lot there, swap with those lot there" or it would have to be incorporated into the new 2nd tier stand from the off where you have a blank sheet.

47 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This proper pisses me off.

Was at Newcastle away a couple years back and fairly near the front. 

2 twats decided they were squeezing into our row and basically stood just behind me.

Obviously everyone went a bit crazy when we scored the winner, but due to the twat stood behind me I ended up nearly falling down the few metre drop down to the concourse, had my brother not grabbed hold of me a second before.

Moral of the story; sit where you book and don't be a twat 

Happened to me at Anfield last year. Apparently I was on the wrong row, showed them my ticket “no mate these are our seats” - I did actually go to a steward because I was struggling to find anywhere to perch, told him the situation and he just came back in the thickest Scouse accent “ey mate, don’t be a grass like, go on the back row” - which I had to laugh at lol 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

I think this is one of the major problems with bringing terracing back (or safe standing) in this country. 

We just don't follow rules like many of our European counterparts. 

In Germany, for example, you have your allocated space and that's where you stand. 

I really do think stewards will struggle to get groups to not gather in those spaces which could be a problem. 

If it comes in, I think they'll have to be tough rules put in place and possibly a confiscation of a season ticket if ST holders don't do this. 

If the entire block is a free for all and everyone knows that then I've got no issue with it. 

I used to have a season ticket on the terrace at Welford Road and you just knew that part of the deal was first come first served, you want a good spot you go early. 

What I have a problem with is there being allocated seats and people just ****ing it off and standing where they want with no regard for other people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

Happened to me at Anfield last year. Apparently I was on the wrong row, showed them my ticket “no mate these are our seats” - I did actually go to a steward because I was struggling to find anywhere to perch, told him the situation and he just came back in the thickest Scouse accent “ey mate, don’t be a grass like, go on the back row” - which I had to laugh at lol 

Should have done the old partially blind trick and the steward has to show you to your seat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Are you on the wind up or are you just dense?

Ah I really seem to have ****ed off some impassioned folk on here ain't I. Well basically my tiny little mind cannot grasp why standing at games as people do now is dangerous compared to having 'rail seating' 

I've stood at countless away games and celebrated madly, Huth at spurs, Riyads goal at Watford etc etc everyone was standing on those occasions all game, everyone went berserk and no one died. If some thick yobbo wants to jump 3 rows In front that's not a reason to have a standing area. Grounds have their own standing areas already, and they are safe, so why change? But hey I'm in the vast minority it seems so by all means crucify me. 

Edited by FoxyJim1987

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Should have done the old partially blind trick and the steward has to show you to your seat.

Genuinely am in a bit of a state without my glasses on and I didn’t have them so it wouldn’t have been a trick mate! Should have thought of that. 

4 hours ago, davieG said:

They were treated as people before all this football violence began, those fans who turned up looking for trouble are the reason fans were then treated as cattle because that's how a fair number of them were behaving.

When I first went down I used to stand in the East Stand often next to opposition fans there was no trouble just friendly piss taking and seeing who could out sing the other.

So it was ok to treat everyone the same as a trouble minority? I certainly was treated that way during the late 80s and early 90s, even though I never touched a drop. 

7 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Ah I really seem to have ****ed off some impassioned folk on here ain't I. Well basically my tiny little mind cannot grasp why standing at games as people do now is dangerous compared to having 'rail seating

I've stood at countless away games and celebrated madly, Huth at spurs, Riyads goal at Watford etc etc everyone was standing on those occasions all game, everyone went berserk and no one died. If some thick yobbo wants to jump 3 rows In front that's not a reason to have a standing area. Grounds have their own standing areas already, and they are safe, so why change? But hey I'm in the vast minority it seems so by all means crucify me. 

Basically, you can't tumble over the rail in front, so it is safe to stand, whereas you can tumble over a seat in front, so it is unsafe to stand and effectively, the club are liable for not ensuring your safety or, more importantly, the safety of little old lady in front who may be seated and ends up with a pissed up 16 stone bloke landing on them, who, if they could prove you were standing in a designated seated area could also sue you as well as the club for being negligent.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I have nothing against safe standing at all, but there's still some issues with implementing it. A new ground and a designated standing area, not a problem implementing it in a existing ground raises issues. 

I'm assuming those who have been campaigning for it are looking at the SK1/G1 corner. 

I sit in G1 (stand when it get's exciting!) and if you look at the make up of SK1 and G, away from Union FS standing at the back, it's a real mix, Pensioners, Families with younger kids, Lads the whole spectrum of our support. They're not all going to want to stand. 

So if we're going to force them to move, where do we move them to ? We're already tight on space the only area where you could move to en masse is the new upper tier. Aside from people not wanting to move seats at the the season ticket prices in SK1/G1 (£5 difference I think) are around the cheapest available and having just completed that survey the expansion seats look like they're going to cost a premium. They could initially discount their tickets but that will eventually expire.

I assume the boys in L1 stand there because it's a clapper's throw from the away fans, do they want to move ? If we have a safe standing area I can't see standing in L1 being tolerated the way it currently is. 

The "Do you want an atmosphere ?" argument comes at a cost and i'm just not sure it's worth paying.

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't really understand people who are anti safe standing. 

Safe standing is like gay marriage, you don't want to marry a gay man, you don't have to. You don't want to stand in a safe standing spot? You don't have to. 

What is there to be anti? 

Clearly there's enough people that want to do it that it's viable for clubs to install a block. 

This is one of the most sensible things I've read on here in ages! Spot on quote to be honest. 

There has been a lot of drivel posted on here and on social media about things like pink caps over the last week and frankly a lot of it is pathetic. The safe standing supporters want people to respect how they wish to watch the game which is fair enough and are pushing for standing to be a thing at the KP stadium and across the country. On the other hand, there is a portion of fans who go to every game who will appreciate things like the freebies and the pink caps that are being given out and will choose to sit and just enjoy the game without singing. Everyone likes to watch the game in their own way and the ridicule that this has created about it being embarrassing is a load of crap. To tweak the above quote, "safe standing is like a pink cap, you don't want to wear a pink cap, you don't have to. You don't want to stand in a safe standing spot? You don't have to". Neither is wrong and neither makes you less of a Leicester City supporter! 

Do I want safe standing? Couldn't care less about it! I go to games with my dad who is retired and wouldn't stand for 90 minutes and I will soon take my kids who I would rather were sitting so they can see the games. Did I vote against safe standing? No - because some fans want it and it's not forcing me personally to change how I watch and enjoy the game. 

Do I want a pink hat? No not really. Do I care that the person next to me will wear one? No - because some fans want it and it's not forcing me to personally to change how I watch and enjoy the game. 

The main thing that is wrong at our club at the moment is the lack of respect between our own fans. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Ah I really seem to have ****ed off some impassioned folk on here ain't I. Well basically my tiny little mind cannot grasp why standing at games as people do now is dangerous compared to having 'rail seating' 

Premier League and SSA report from 2013. 

Screenshot_20190814-135554.png

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Basically, you can't tumble over the rail in front, so it is safe to stand, whereas you can tumble over a seat in front, so it is unsafe to stand and effectively, the club are liable for not ensuring your safety or, more importantly, the safety of little old lady in front who may be seated and ends up with a pissed up 16 stone bloke landing on them, who, if they could prove you were standing in a designated seated area could also sue you as well as the club for being negligent.

I see your point, but mine is how often does this hypothetical granny get polaxed by the over exuberant celebrations?? I can sadly only forsee problems if this comes in. A large part of the lad culture and yobbo mentality has gone from football, its family orientated. This seems like a step backwards. If it was a perfect world and each ground had their chanting section with rail seating and it all went great then I'd be right behind it. But we all deep down should know it will just be a section full of the same type of ***** who shove their way to the front and crush people at a gig, throwing their beer in the air and jumping up and down. Mind you if it was an old fashioned 'pen' which kept these excitable types all in one place away from everyone else it might be a good thing. 

Or maybe sections at grounds will just continue to be unofficial standing zones without this rail shit. 

34 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I'm sorry but that is purely incorrect. 

It is in my experience. 

My mate lives in Munich and whilst over there he's told me that your not allowed to wander into the cycle path even if there's no cyclists in sight - when I started to drift after too many Weiss beers😄

2 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I see your point, but mine is how often does this hypothetical granny get polaxed by the over exuberant celebrations?? I can sadly only forsee problems if this comes in. A large part of the lad culture and yobbo mentality has gone from football, its family orientated. This seems like a step backwards. If it was a perfect world and each ground had their chanting section with rail seating and it all went great then I'd be right behind it. But we all deep down should know it will just be a section full of the same type of ***** who shove their way to the front and crush people at a gig, throwing their beer in the air and jumping up and down. Mind you if it was an old fashioned 'pen' which kept these excitable types all in one place away from everyone else it might be a good thing. 

Or maybe sections at grounds will just continue to be unofficial standing zones without this rail shit. 

Probably about the same amount of times as an aeroplane falls out the sky but, it's all about eliminating the risk.

28 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

So it was ok to treat everyone the same as a trouble minority? I certainly was treated that way during the late 80s and early 90s, even though I never touched a drop. 

No not really but it was pretty hard to tell who was a potential troublemaker and they weren't all drunk in fact the real 'hard' nutters were probably quite sober. Plus when there was pitch invasions it was often one end of the ground meeting the other end on the pitch, even some 'good' guys got drawn in by the perceived excitement.

Weren't we all even if you had kids with you it wasn't about protecting it was you must all be potential hoolies even now this can happen.

5 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

It is in my experience. 

My mate lives in Munich and whilst over there he's told me that your not allowed to wander into the cycle path even if there's no cyclists in sight - when I started to drift after too many Weiss beers😄

Everywhere I've been in Germany with the exception of the Espirit Arena you can wonder around the home or away terrace with absolute impunity. 

That's not what's being proposed here by any stretch.