Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Horrible club but Stadium MK is one of the better of the generic modern bowls imo, the two tiers the whole way round breaks it up nicely.

Ironically in the process designed concourses which meant you can’t drink beer without being surrounded by canvas sheeting! 

It's interesting all this talk of German standing areas.  I've been to a few stadiums (Bayern, Schalke, Frankfurt, Dortmund, Hertha Berlin).  Most of the standing areas are terraces rather than rail-seats, and even the rail seats areas are unreserved.  People talk about the yellow wall in dortmund  as a prime example of rail seats, but the front two-thirds or so is terracing.  Only the back section is rail seating.

Dortmund and Schalke terraces attached.  You can drink beer on them as well which is great.

dortmund.jpg

schalke.jpg

13 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I just don't get this myself. How can standing affect atmosphere. I've stood on away ends that have been deathly silent. People create standing areas now in seated grounds. You rarely hear of crushes or big incidents, so why ripseats out so a load of morons can jump around waving scarves. I for one am glad my now 12 year old has been able to see the match each week and not the back of someone standing in front of him (like away games)

Well you’re completely correct, there’s absolutely no reason why 30,000 seated supporters shouldn’t sing in unison for 90 minutes and create a magnificent stadium atmosphere in support of their team. But they don’t. There are areas where people gather and sing, areas where people get involved occasionally, and areas where people sit in silence observing the game. 

I have nothing against any of them. You can watch football the way you want as far as I’m concerned so no complaints from me. However for those who do want to support their football team with encouraging songs and chants it makes sense to have a section which brings them together. It would only be part of the ground so you and your son will not be inconvenienced I’m pleased to say. 

The second reason I would like to see safe standing has nothing to do with atmosphere. Quite simply I prefer to stand at football matches and would like the option to do so at Leicester as others have the option to sit. I watch a lot of non league football and I have the opportunity to stand or sit, and never once have I chosen the latter.

For both reasons, Safe standing makes perfect sense to me. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Bert said:

No, not allowed. 

But when I filled out the survey it even mentioned that the food inside the stadium is more expensive than outside due to operational reasons or something along those lines... 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Snik-Snok said:

Whatever happens regarding the potential new features in the stadium, at least this survey shows there's some movement on it at last.  I get the feeling that they won't be doing this on the cheap and that what we'll get is going to be good.

I'd love to see some (hopefully) large areas of standing areas introduced.  However, it still worries me that a lot of the people responding will reply negatively towards it.  This topic has shown that even amongst people interested in it, there's still a lot of confusion about how it works.  I suspect as usual, those that prefer sit will have the usual "I don't want to stand" reaction and be against it, as they either believe that a) they will be forced to stand or b) it will mean people would be standing in front of them.  Those that are strongly against are often the same people that complain when someone is standing in front of them, therefore they are actually benefiting hugely from it as this would resolve that.  It's like turkeys voting for Christmas.

It would be good if the club had provided a bit more details of how it could be implemented, and the potential benefits e,g,

• A section (or sections) of the ground would be installed with 'safe-standing' barriers, i.e. with a waist high rail in front of each 'seat'.
  • People in those areas would stand throughout the match (it would not be an area where you could choose to sit or stand)
  • Seats would remain in place, but be locked in an upright position, and used as a 'location' i.e. for the row/seat number on the ticket. 
  • The seats will remain in place because some events (European games etc.) may require an all-seater stadium, so by 'unlocking' them, it becomes a seated area.
  • People that want to stand will be able to (although I suspect any standing section will be nowhere big enough to meet demand)
  • People that want to sit won't be blighted by people standing in front of them as they will now have their own section
  • Standing against a waist high barrier is safer than standing against a shin high barrier.
  • Potentially (depending on the regulations) it could become unreserved, which is a huge benefit which rarely gets mentioned because a) friends can get together (expecially when with non-season ticket holders who have a single match ticket), b) people can choose to stand in their preferred place i.e. near the front/back c) it encourages people to get to the stadium earlier to get a god spot, which in turn leads to the potentially for some pre-match noise, like it used to be (and increases food/drink income within the stadium)
  • Potentially (again depending on the regulations) if they implement it as in other countries then there could be 1.5 people for every seat (because with the seat up, there's more room) e.g. if a row has 100 seats then when it's in standing mode then 150 can fit in, which is why clubs in Germany etc. have higher attendances for Europeans games. 

I find it absolutely bizarre that anyone could be against it.

Countless times the safe standing roadshow has asked to come in and show it off. Explain how it works and cross out some of the myths.

Making a video or having it out the front on a match day but the club knock it back time after time.

We have a new stadium for the Western Sydney Wanderers (and other sports) this year and it's the first in Aus to have safe standing. The area is only for members of the home side active support and has 1260 seats that are removed and replaced with rails for football games (seats back in for rugby etc).

Currently, whether sitting or standing. the capacity for the area is the same so when changed to safe sanding it looks 1/2 empty as everyone crowds in the middle.

We have only used it once in a pre seaon game against Leeds...

IMG_20190720_190812_HDR.jpg

Edited by MadKaw
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, chapero82 said:

Am I right in thinking that the whole stadium is going to be upgraded? 

Was thinking east stand but fascias of North and South to improved. Wondering if eventually they would want to connect west to east by putting exec boxes/corridors so you could go all the way around the stadium. 

For now it looks like most investment will be east stand second tier. 

I do like the idea of second tier in the loo with people having option to move up if they used to sit in the DD.

5 minutes ago, RGFox said:

Was thinking east stand but fascias of North and South to improved. Wondering if eventually they would want to connect west to east by putting exec boxes/corridors so you could go all the way around the stadium. 

For now it looks like most investment will be east stand second tier. 

I do like the idea of second tier in the loo with people having option to move up if they used to sit in the DD.

Are you saying those who sat in the DD get preference or first pick of sitting in the new stand?

I'd understand if we'd moved a few years back, but we moved in 2002, 17 years ago. No way the club has records of who sat where or had tickets back at Filbert Street. And second a whole generation or so of fans have started going since we've moved.

1 hour ago, MadKaw said:

We have a new stadium for the Western Sydney Wanderers (and other sports) this year and it's the first in Aus to have safe standing. The area is only for members of the home side active support and has 1260 seats that are removed and replaced with rails for football games (seats back in for rugby etc).

Currently, whether sitting or standing. the capacity for the area is the same so when changed to safe sanding it looks 1/2 empty as everyone crowds in the middle.

We have only used it once in a pre seaon game against Leeds...

IMG_20190720_190812_HDR.jpg

Looks great. You know we're grossly behind the times when Australia and the USA have safe standing areas and we don't. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tommy G said:

What if you are in SK1 and have been for 10 years and don't want to relocate? If that becomes the safe standing area for example. 

Wherever they chose it to be it will  likely annoy people I guess

Can't please everyone. But for the sake of anooying a couple of people but giving 1,000s of others something they would love, I think it is a no brainer.

If it was the other way round where we had 23,000 STH standing and they wanted to convert a few thousand places into seats so people could sit and see, I wouldn't stand in the way of it and just suck it up and move elsewhere. Not like they are telling me to move house that I have lived in for 50 years. A seat in a football stadium is probably occupied for about 48 hours in a year!

What about those that didn't want to leave Filbert Street? Change happens and it is wise to be able to adapt.

• Like 4

Am I the only one who is irritated that this discussion seems wholly focused on safe standing when for the majority of fans there are a whole host of other issues to discuss?

For many people the match day experience is also determined by their ability to park and then leave the ground without facing an interminable traffic jam. That’s why so many leave before the end, annoying as that is for most of us, and with an extra 8,000 people it’s not going to get easier. 

A fanzone would be great but some of the astronomical prices for the season ticket plus referred to in the survey would be completely unaffordable to most fans so I would’ve thought that was a major issue.

FT is dominated by a certain  kind of fan i.e. male, dedicated and younger ( with many exceptions) and while there is nothing wrong with that in itself it means the debate on here has become obsessed with one issue, which is not, at least for most supporters, their primary consideration. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Weller said:

Am I the only one who is irritated that this discussion seems wholly focused on safe standing when for the majority of fans there are a whole host of other issues to discuss?

For many people the match day experience is also determined by their ability to park and then leave the ground without facing an interminable traffic jam. That’s why so many leave before the end, annoying as that is for most of us, and with an extra 8,000 people it’s not going to get easier. 

A fanzone would be great but some of the astronomical prices for the season ticket plus referred to in the survey would be completely unaffordable to most fans so I would’ve thought that was a major issue.

FT is dominated by a certain  kind of fan i.e. male, dedicated and younger ( with many exceptions) and while there is nothing wrong with that in itself it means the debate on here has become obsessed with one issue, which is not, at least for most supporters, their primary consideration. 

Instead of complaining about the lack of certain topics being discussed; do something about it? 

Start a topic talking about what you want discussed. 

Safe standing is something a lot of this forum is passionate about, but I'm sure a lot if not all care about the rest of the issues you've mentioned.

You'll have flattered most of this place by calling them young as well :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

It's the most dividing topic of those asked in the survey hence the discussion, so it's bound to be at the front of the debate. 

I've seen groups on facebook debating it and the fans there are 40 yr upwards. 

1 minute ago, Mr Weller said:

There’s nothing to stop you initiating other discussions which you’re now trying to do. If you get little or no response surely that means people aren’t bothered enough to discuss it.

Besides it wasn’t part of the survey so didn’t prompt a chat about it.

Just did the survey.

I probably could be tempted to "pay a bit more" if there was a premium lounge or something. Not sure to be honest, but would be nice to have the option if I can afford it - as long as the "basic" season tickets are still available at an affordable price then it's all good.

Safe Standing - I'm definately in the "I wouldn't use it myself but I would support it" camp. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

Every football stadium or sports event/concert suffers from traffic congestion to some extent, it's not unique to us and to be honest I don't think it's that bad.

If I drive and even if I leave at the final whistle I'm usally back at home in Melton by 6pm - 6.15pm (assuming 3pm kick off, 5pm finish). 

Regarding "premium" season tickets - there are plenty who will pay for them. I don't have a problem providing that entry level "basic" season ticket is priced so it does not price out "real" fans in favour of artisan cheese eating, real ale drinking hipsters like at Spurs.

11 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

If you are driving to the football you are doing the whole day wrong lol

Surely safe standing and ticket prices should be right at the top of this consulatuon, if there is any chance of a change in the law, then we should take this chance to be ready for it, not have an additional cost of then retrospectively fitting, rail seats. 

And we should also take this chance to maybe look at the pricing, not by charging silly prices for new seats, but maybe making sure the ground is full at reasonable prices. The club's income still increases, but without ripping people off. The new section of boxes will make them plenty of money from those who have it and can afford it, let's make sure those with familys who will eventually have to move out the family stand if they want to sit together have access to seats without it costing twice as much.

I like the idea of a fan zone if done correctly with. Local produce, beers, decent franchises all involved, but things like that and parking etc come secondary to many. And as regards to getting away from the ground quicker there's very little the club can do with the road infrastructure anyway.

I still don't understand where people have to be in such a rush, if you have committed to going to the football, I know my routine starts when I leave the house at 11.50 and I won't get home until 7 at the earliest. I don't feel the need to leave 10 mins early just to get the train, when there's another 1 in an hour's time.

We spend so much time in modern life rushing around. Does it really matter if you get home half an hour earlier on a Saturday evening or a Tuesday night.

Don't get me wrong I guess people have reasons but for me on a matchday the game and seeing 90 mins or 97 mins is what's important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hung around after the game on Sunday and I couldn't believe how long it takes people to get out the car park. Unless you're forced to by disability etc then I can't possibly understand why you'd choose to park at the ground. On site car parking is categorically NOT the answer. 

• Like 1

I just really want to be able to get a season ticket, and at an affordable price :dunno: anything else would be a bonus. Oh I have said about this before, but also I would love to see handholds being added to help people getting up and down those stairs - I see so many people needlessly struggling. 

The biggest difference for me would be if they could somehow work with the train companies to improve match day services. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Instead of complaining about the lack of certain topics being discussed; do something about it? 

Start a topic talking about what you want discussed. 

Safe standing is something a lot of this forum is passionate about, but I'm sure a lot if not all care about the rest of the issues you've mentioned.

You'll have flattered most of this place by calling them young as well :thumbup:

The thread is called stadium expansion progress, not safe standing and by ‘a lot of us’ you mean you and the few others who seem to talk about nothing else on here.

At most 5,000 would stand, probably far less. What about the other 35,000? I stood for years back in the 70s and 80s by the way; there was nothing glamorous about it and crowds dwindled in the face of hooliganism, poor facilities and discomfort, which is why the majority will never go back to it. 

I’m happy to flatter the crowd on here by the way but really this myopic debate about safe standing is a side issue at best, at least for the large majority of fans who are more concerned about sitting with friends and family in comfort and enjoying good facilities and exciting football. 

By the way, two boys who attended the school I worked at lost their lives at Hillsborough. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

It’s very annoying. This forum seems to have a very vocal few who are obsessed with safe standing and talk about it like it’s the only thing that matters. It gives a very false impression about the popularity of safe standing when in reality there is no such thing as ‘safe’ standing and in surveys done of a wider set of match going fans the idea doesn’t have much support at all. 

Edit: also kind of irrelevant seeming the government still don’t allow it.

Edited by peach0000