Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I hung around after the game on Sunday and I couldn't believe how long it takes people to get out the car park. Unless you're forced to by disability etc then I can't possibly understand why you'd choose to park at the ground. On site car parking is categorically NOT the answer. 

i don't get this either. When i come out the ground, at the final whistle, there are already people queuing to get out the car park, that means they must have left 5 minutes earlier but they don't get let out for 30 minutes anyway. May as well stop to the end of the game. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who, when completing the survey, thought (suspected) that if you don't choose an enhanced / corporate type season ticket, you will be banished to the less popular corner or upper reaches of the new east stand?  Might be me being old and cynical though. 

4 minutes ago, Vince Vega said:

Am I the only one who, when completing the survey, thought (suspected) that if you don't choose an enhanced / corporate type season ticket, you will be banished to the less popular corner or upper reaches of the new east stand?  Might be me being old and cynical though. 

yes, I heard anyone who picks the cheapest option will be forced to watch the game on an old black and white tv in the fan village to allow those who spend more money on hipster food and beer to watch the game in the stadium.

lol

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It’s very annoying. This forum seems to have a very vocal few who are obsessed with safe standing and talk about it like it’s the only thing that matters. It gives a very false impression about the popularity of safe standing when in reality there is no such thing as ‘safe’ standing and in surveys done of a wider set of match going fans the idea doesn’t have much support at all. 

Edit: also kind of irrelevant seeming the government still don’t allow it.

I beg to differ. If you we're stood on the edge of a cliff it wouldn't be safe. If you were stood on the edge of a cliff with a barrier in front of you it would be safe. Seems obvious to me.

Food/beer pricing. It's out of our hands.

Parking. It's out of our hands.

New stadium. It's out of our hands.

Ticket pricing. It's out of our hands.

There's not really much, as fans, we can do anything about, apart from support the team because that's what we do and that's all we do. Safe standing will help us support our team by creating a better atmosphere, so really it's the only thing that is important to us as fans and the rest is just irrelevant.

20 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

The thread is called stadium expansion progress, not safe standing and by ‘a lot of us’ you mean you and the few others who seem to talk about nothing else on here.

At most 5,000 would stand, probably far less. What about the other 35,000? I stood for years back in the 70s and 80s by the way; there was nothing glamorous about it and crowds dwindled in the face of hooliganism, poor facilities and discomfort, which is why the majority will never go back to it. 

I’m happy to flatter the crowd on here by the way but really this myopic debate about safe standing is a side issue at best, at least for the large majority of fans who are more concerned about sitting with friends and family in comfort and enjoying good facilities and exciting football. 

By the way, two boys who attended the school I worked at lost their lives at Hillsborough. 

Ah right, so now you don't want to stand at the football means others shouldn't be allowed the choice? Seems reasonable

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It’s very annoying. This forum seems to have a very vocal few who are obsessed with safe standing and talk about it like it’s the only thing that matters. It gives a very false impression about the popularity of safe standing when in reality there is no such thing as ‘safe’ standing and in surveys done of a wider set of match going fans the idea doesn’t have much support at all. 

Edit: also kind of irrelevant seeming the government still don’t allow it.

But lots of people (particualrly away supporters) already stand for the duration of the game anyway? So surely introducing a "safe" (or should that be "safer") standing area would make is safer?

I wouldn't be interested myself in standing up for 90 minutes, but I can't see any reason why I'd be against it for others?

27 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

The thread is called stadium expansion progress, not safe standing and by ‘a lot of us’ you mean you and the few others who seem to talk about nothing else on here.

At most 5,000 would stand, probably far less. What about the other 35,000? I stood for years back in the 70s and 80s by the way; there was nothing glamorous about it and crowds dwindled in the face of hooliganism, poor facilities and discomfort, which is why the majority will never go back to it. 

I’m happy to flatter the crowd on here by the way but really this myopic debate about safe standing is a side issue at best, at least for the large majority of fans who are more concerned about sitting with friends and family in comfort and enjoying good facilities and exciting football. 

By the way, two boys who attended the school I worked at lost their lives at Hillsborough. 

I replied to your comment to try to help begin to get your points across and start a discussion, but if you're just gonna sit there and infer I'm a problem for wanting to discuss something on a public forum then go **** yourself tbh.

Like I said, if you want to discuss the other things this is the place. But to just complain other people wishing to discuss something you don't suport and not bother to try to discuss other matters is pointless.

In further discuss your topics by posting about them, not ranting that other users are discussing something else.

And I'm sorry you lost friends. If you read this you'll see there are a few posters who were involved in a fair few near misses when Hillsborough happened.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

yes, I heard anyone who picks the cheapest option will be forced to watch the game on an old black and white tv in the fan village to allow those who spend more money on hipster food and beer to watch the game in the stadium.

lol

And there was me worrying about nothing eh.....................

5 hours ago, Collymore said:

But when I filled out the survey it even mentioned that the food inside the stadium is more expensive than outside due to operational reasons or something along those lines... 

I know the caterer that does the outside vans. They’re not allowed to undercut the clubs caterers. 

25 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

lol

Surely the survey is stupid. It looks like an attempt at profiteering to me.

I cant see how anyone in their right might would choose the tickets above £500 unless money is pouring out of their backside, its too much for most ordinary individuals.

I do feel I may be priced out or shoved in some horrific location where you need binoculars' to see the pitch because I wont commit to buy a spicy Mexican quasimodo vegan burger at £8.

Are they going to have a hardworking but not rich area of the stadium? 

I absolutely would stand if it was in decent location and was cheaper than sitting.  Cost is a big driver for me, I would rather spend £10 on a bag of chips and a pint! What the club does in terms of food or drink - unless it becomes a lot cheaper and better isn't really of interest, the beer is poor and the food inedible, the bank account is permanently damaged!

The thing about the arena asked if I would like to pay so much a year to see the likes of 'Rita Ora' lol

Edited by Foxin_Mad

10 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The boys that died were peers of mine - their death was tragic and senseless but isn't actually relevant to this debate, other than to bring guilt-by-association into the equation.

It's horrible that people died at the accident and something that should never be forgotten.

But I agree, to bring it up here in support of an argument to build guilt isn't okay.

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Surely the survey is stupid. It looks like an attempt at profiteering to me.

I cant see how anyone in their right might would choose the tickets above £500 unless money is pouring out of their backside, its too much for most ordinary individuals.

I do feel I may be priced out or shoved in some horrific location where you need binoculars' to see the pitch because I wont commit to buy a spicy Mexican quasimodo vegan burger at £8.

Are they going to have a hardworking but not rich area of the stadium? 

I see what you are saying but there are plenty of people who would pay more, especially if the "product" is enhanced. Look at Spurs - cheapest ST about £1250 I think and when they announced them, a few Spurs fans were outraged but most accepted it. I know it's not a direct comparison (London weigting etc) but I think we can expect some increases.

It sounds to me though like they want to retain a "basic" ST and sell "premium" ST which have access to fancy lounges and concourses so hopefully it shouldn't involve everyone being priced out, but rather giving people an "economy class", "business class" and "first class" option to choose from

But let's move on. 

Safe standing is a big issue for people. And I think a lot of the issues have been well discussed.

But there are other issues as well.

Parking is something that will need addressing. A park and ride option would be brilliant especially if it utilises those already in place, reducing inner city parking and congestion. 

Stadium parking just isn't sustainable for the majority of people.

I for one hope they build facilities like coffee shops, pubs and food outlets that bring people to the ground pre kick off and allow an atmosphere to build.

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I see what you are saying but there are plenty of people who would pay more, especially if the "product" is enhanced. Look at Spurs - cheapest ST about £1250 I think and when they announced them, a few Spurs fans were outraged but most accepted it. I know it's not a direct comparison (London weigting etc) but I think we can expect some increases.

It sounds to me though like they want to retain a "basic" ST and sell "premium" ST which have access to fancy lounges and concourses so hopefully it shouldn't involve everyone being priced out, but rather giving people an "economy class", "business class" and "first class" option to choose from

There probably will be people who will pay it there always is, I think its at the expense of the ordinary fan though. I cant see too many of you average Kop supporters paying much more than £500 a year. 

Most of our tickets now are sub £700, I know its only testing the water but most of the prices touted were well above that.

I suppose it depends how big the economy areas are, I've been doing down nearly 30 years now. It would be a shame if they price me out or move me to some god forsaken location to accommodate some corporates but I suppose money talks. Id rather them just leave it as it is if this is what they are thinking. I appreciate some people maybe interested in some of this stuff but I would think it has to be a minority. I cant see the logic of paying £5 a pint and £4 for a cardboard burger, when you can go to a pub around the corner and grab a bag of chips for a lot less, and generally more enjoyable. 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Parking is something that will need addressing. A park and ride option would be brilliant especially if it utilises those already in place, reducing inner city parking and congestion.  Stadium parking just isn't sustainable for the majority of people.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, and I mention again here - making the ground accessible by train would vastly improve the matchday experience for thousands, not least because it would make parking easier for those that still drive close to the ground. For someone like me, that has to either drive to the ground from 60+ miles away, or get the train from Chesterfield (which still involves driving anyway), it would be by far the most efficient way of allowing me to drive to somewhere (let's say Ashby, as I have friends nearby), leave my car bothering nobody, and then be able to get on a train that took me to the ground. I'd be able to stay the night with said friends, meaning I could drink, stay later, be sociable with fellow FTers/(relatives if I absolutely must :)) and feel less separate from the whole event.

However, I'd not talk to you UniFox21, because you're young, and therefore insufferable. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Parking is something that will need addressing. A park and ride option would be brilliant especially if it utilises those already in place, reducing inner city parking and congestion. 

Stadium parking just isn't sustainable for the majority of people.

Parking needs addressing. Opening a park and ride rail/bus service would be good, perhaps including that in the season ticket price might be worth it from a few locations around the county near motorway. This is probably the most important factor around all areas.

• Like 1

I’m sure they will be running some analysis in the answers but some of the questions were a bit vague. 

As for attending future events at any arena development, yes I would go quite often for the right act or band etc but not if it’s extortionately expensive. 

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I mentioned earlier in the thread, and I mention again here - making the ground accessible by train would vastly improve the matchday experience for thousands, not least because it would make parking easier for those that still drive close to the ground. For someone like me, that has to either drive to the ground from 60+ miles away, or get the train from Chesterfield (which still involves driving anyway), it would be by far the most efficient way of allowing me to drive to somewhere (let's say Ashby, as I have friends nearby), leave my car bothering nobody, and then be able to get on a train that took me to the ground. I'd be able to stay the night with said friends, meaning I could drink, stay later, be sociable with fellow FTers/(relatives if I absolutely must :)) and feel less separate from the whole event.

However, I'd not talk to you UniFox21, because you're young, and therefore insufferable. lol

Fully agree with that.

Anything that gets cars out of the city centre or off the road is a good idea for me. It allows people ,such as yourself, who may live in distant lands get to the game with ease and potentially relax more rather than treating about the journey home and leaving early.

Train system would make it incredibly easy to access the ground. From a security point of view you could get away fans coming right to the ground which would save potential trouble makers running round the city.

Alas, if you're old HighPeakFox, I'd also avoid your groups of older people who no doubt would be sat shaking your fists and walking sticks as us youngsters enjoy ourselves :D

11 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Fully agree with that.

Anything that gets cars out of the city centre or off the road is a good idea for me. It allows people ,such as yourself, who may live in distant lands get to the game with ease and potentially relax more rather than treating about the journey home and leaving early.

Train system would make it incredibly easy to access the ground. From a security point of view you could get away fans coming right to the ground which would save potential trouble makers running round the city.

Alas, if you're old HighPeakFox, I'd also avoid your groups of older people who no doubt would be sat shaking your fists and walking sticks as us youngsters enjoy ourselves :D

That's the trouble with you young'uns! Always expecting to enjoy yourselves! We never had enjoyment in our day! Pah!