Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

1 minute ago, Livid said:

I’m sure they will be running some analysis in the answers but some of the questions were a bit vague. 

As for attending future events at any arena development, yes I would go quite often for the right act or band etc but not if it’s extortionately expensive. 

The questions are a bit vague, but that's the whole point of the survey, to try and work out what sort of fan would sit, or not sit in certain areas. If this new stand is to incorporate boxes etc they need to know where to put them and they're not going to stick them next to a bunch of oiks looking for a cheap day out. So they ask, would you sit here for 500 quid. yes. would you sit here for a grand. no. so therefore they know the typical fan in that area. Those prices stated aren't definates.

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

Edit: also kind of irrelevant seeming the government still don’t allow it.

You'll have to have a word with Wolves and Tottenham then who've installed the same sort of rail seating that would be installed then. The scenario has changed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Alas, if you're old HighPeakFox, I'd also avoid your groups of older people who no doubt would be sat shaking your fists and walking sticks as us youngsters enjoy ourselves :D

1) Quantify 'old'

2) I don't do 'groups', I am elite

3) Do you have a silly beard?

15 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Parking needs addressing. Opening a park and ride rail/bus service would be good, perhaps including that in the season ticket price might be worth it from a few locations around the county near motorway. This is probably the most important factor around all areas.

I am always surprised how few people are on the buses down the Welford Road for matches. I would like to see a scheme where matchday tickets entitled you to free/reduced fares ... properly promoted, especially with designated parking in areas outside the city centre, could help alleviate the traffic problems a larger stadium would cause.

• Like 2

Re: Traffic... the club know it's an issue and there is a way to help it whilst making more money and that's making the ground and surrounding areas somewhere that fans are happy to stay. Whether that's for a drink or something to eat. If they create pubs, bars, restaurants and food outlets, you'll get far more people hanging around afterwards. Meaning the traffic moving away from the ground gets drip fed a little more than it currently is. There is nothing to do at the moment, they shut all the kiosks at half time, so come the end of the game everyone just wants to get out and away from the ground as quick as they can. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I am always surprised how few people are on the buses down the Welford Road for matches. I would like to see a scheme where matchday tickets entitled you to free/reduced fares ... properly promoted, especially with designated parking in areas outside the city centre, could help alleviate the traffic problems a larger stadium would cause.

No parking or 24 hour bus lane on match days down welford road would be a start, rather than everyone being funnelled into one lane due to people being parked up in the left hand lane. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Re: Traffic... the club know it's an issue and there is a way to help it whilst making more money and that's making the ground and surrounding areas somewhere that fans are happy to stay. Whether that's for a drink or something to eat. If they create pubs, bars, restaurants and food outlets, you'll get far more people hanging around afterwards. Meaning the traffic moving away from the ground gets drip fed a little more than it currently is. There is nothing to do at the moment, they shut all the kiosks at half time, so come the end of the game everyone just wants to get out and away from the ground as quick as they can. 

Its fine making a nicer area to stay. I suppose the problem is peoples definition of that varies. One thing that is key, if they want me to stay for a few hours pints need to be a lot cheaper. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Its fine making a nicer area to stay. I suppose the problem is peoples definition of that varies. One thing that is key, if they want me to stay for a few hours pints need to be a lot cheaper. 

and a lot better than the lager pish they serve up!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I'll pay £5 a pint, but I expect better quality. When you can get a top class beer in town for that, some overly fizzy dishwater won't cut it.

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

1) Quantify 'old'

2) I don't do 'groups', I am elite

3) Do you have a silly beard?

1) Older than me :thumbup:

3) God no, the stupid goatee that people think is "cool" is stupid. 

23 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

That's the trouble with you young'uns! Always expecting to enjoy yourselves! We never had enjoyment in our day! Pah!

:revenge:

Don't worry, that little enjoyment is compensated for with tonnes of sadness and work :D

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

I'd love to know the percentage of match going fans that are actually bothered about safe standing

Well this survey should get a good grasp of that. Assuming by the fact that a lot of people stand already, plus ones who would if they could, it will be a fair few. Enough to fill a corner if not half of a stand.

If you're going to carry on using Compass Group, or A N Other caterer, nothing will change.

If they're willing to take on the running of catering themselves, hiring employees, developing the product and buying in yourselves to control costs, then we might see a positive impact.

Anything in the survey about that?

I absolutely love our owners, but i'll forever be baffled by how a world leading retail magnate can't organise a small scale retail and catering offering in one location lol 

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

It’s very annoying. This forum seems to have a very vocal few who are obsessed with safe standing and talk about it like it’s the only thing that matters. It gives a very false impression about the popularity of safe standing when in reality there is no such thing as ‘safe’ standing and in surveys done of a wider set of match going fans the idea doesn’t have much support at all. 

Edit: also kind of irrelevant seeming the government still don’t allow it.

People are allowed to talk about things they are passionate about, this is a forum for discussion. The annoying part is when people like yourself come along and moan that people have strong views about something. For a lot of people, this would improve their matchday experience. If you were someone who was vocal about the food and drink offerings changing, why should I shoot you down for your view. Everyone is entitled to discuss and make their voice heard for the development of the stadium they feel for.

If 10% of STH's want safe standing, that warrants something to be done. If you actually read into it a little more, you might be able to provide a more educated response.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eskay said:

I spoke to someone last night who is very senior in the company building the new stand.  

Things he mentioned:

- East stand will be developed and total capacity will be just a little over 40k

- out of all the clubs they have ever worked with...he said Top is by far the best person they have ever worked with. Described him as the most humble owner they have ever met. He said he was very sensible too. 

- Top is a lot wealthier than what is known. A lot of assets hidden and out of view but wouldn't be surprised to see the club continue to grow at a huge rate for years to come. 

Sorry if this is all useless info but thought I would share!

Image result for christian bale gif

Just now, AjcW said:

If you're going to carry on using Compass Group, or A N Other caterer, nothing will change.

If they're willing to take on the running of catering themselves, hiring employees, developing the product and buying in yourselves to control costs, then we might see a positive impact.

I absolutely love our owners, but i'll forever be baffled by how a world leading retail magnate can't organise a small scale retail and catering offering in one location lol 

The catering I think we are stuck with until the end of the contract. 

I know that other stadiums have modernised their offerings - instead of subconracting the whole shebang out to one company, they sub let kiosk or kiosks to different caterers. That is the way forward. It drives quality up and prices down by increasing competition.

We're stuck in the old days with our catering offering. In fact the food and drink was better at Filbert Street 20 years ago (pig roast at the back of the kop!)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Some of the catering is OK, beer choice for me not ideal. I would really like to see (and this is not just limited to Leicester) local products on offer. Such as, local beers served, local produce used for food, using local food/drink suppliers etc.

All this would help boost the local economy a little and give the fans better quality products. Tottenham sounds like a ground where they have thought about the fan experience a bit more (probably still not incorporating much local produce mind).

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, Mr Weller said:

The thread is called stadium expansion progress, not safe standing and by ‘a lot of us’ you mean you and the few others who seem to talk about nothing else on here.

At most 5,000 would stand, probably far less. What about the other 35,000? I stood for years back in the 70s and 80s by the way; there was nothing glamorous about it and crowds dwindled in the face of hooliganism, poor facilities and discomfort, which is why the majority will never go back to it. 

I’m happy to flatter the crowd on here by the way but really this myopic debate about safe standing is a side issue at best, at least for the large majority of fans who are more concerned about sitting with friends and family in comfort and enjoying good facilities and exciting football. 

By the way, two boys who attended the school I worked at lost their lives at Hillsborough. 

Hillsborough is a terrible tragedy with many factors contributing to it, i am neutral about safe stand ing but would venture to say Hillsborough wouldn't have occurred with safe standing in place. 

And on the topic of traffic...

It would be good to see some better facilities to use public transport. However, most of those decisions are out of the clubs hands. With increased capacity it may be useful to have extra parking, like a multi-storey car park but traffic congestion would need to be considered as the road structure around the ground is not the best.

I personally drive to most games, simply for ease of getting home after a game. I park a fair walk away but am then on the motorway and usually get home (Hinckley, so not too far really) within an hour of the final whistle. If I was to use public transport, train would be a 15 min walk to station, hope to catch the hourly train, then another 25 min walk from Hinckley station. Buses take about 45/50 mins to get back to Hinckley.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vince Vega said:

and a lot better than the lager pish they serve up!

Much better than that!

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'll pay £5 a pint, but I expect better quality. When you can get a top class beer in town for that, some overly fizzy dishwater won't cut it.

If they want people to stay they need to look at price and quality. I personally wouldn't pay more than £4 a pint, most decent boozers are around £3.50 for a good ale. 

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

And on the topic of traffic...

It would be good to see some better facilities to use public transport. However, most of those decisions are out of the clubs hands. With increased capacity it may be useful to have extra parking, like a multi-storey car park but traffic congestion would need to be considered as the road structure around the ground is not the best.

I personally drive to most games, simply for ease of getting home after a game. I park a fair walk away but am then on the motorway and usually get home (Hinckley, so not too far really) within an hour of the final whistle. If I was to use public transport, train would be a 15 min walk to station, hope to catch the hourly train, then another 25 min walk from Hinckley station. Buses take about 45/50 mins to get back to Hinckley.

If the club could invest in some public transport schemes it would help the city in general I feel. Id think a park and ride or rail/ride from somewhere near the motorway would be quite successful. 

Obviously making sure transport runs at logical times is also useful.