Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

Suggest a Mod retitle this thread to Stadium Expansion: What Do You Want?

The only “Progress” is ticking task #3 out of thousands on the project plan as “started”.

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

yeah I accept it's a generalisation and sweeping statement. And I totally agree with you that it's not just those buying the cheapest tickets who are the "real" fans.

In the case of Spurs though, ticket prices have been creeping up for years and it has priced a lot of people out. Spurs don't care though, because there are plenty more people willing to pony up £100+ a month for a ticket.

I think it will be really good if we can manage to come up with a pricing structure which allows an entry level price ticket (with no frills, fancy concourse etc) in the sub £500 range with upgrades for those who can afford/want to pay a bit more.

Tourists in the main, which is a problem imo as the EPL is becoming a tourist league in general in terms of match going fans, certainly the top half teams anyway.  I visited the Emirates a few years back and it was like a library, have experienced better atmosphere at Motherwell with less than ten thousand fans.

I really have a problem with ordinary fans being priced out of going to see their team, it's an afront tbh as there is more money in the game (in England anyway) than ever and clubs should be forced to subsidise a percentage of tickets for fans, particularly for children and those in lower income thresholds

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

The simple reality is that our stadium is full. People can't even get tickets anymore, unless they know somebody with a spare season ticket willing to let them borrow it or get lucky in the general sale. Season tickets themselves are like proverbial rocking horse poo for those who don't already have one.

We need an expansion, we really do. The fan in me wants it to A) boost the atmosphere and B) make our stadium somewhat unique considering it was an "out-of-the-box" design replicated in a number of other places built around the same time (see: St. Mary's, Riverside etc.) But the reality is that we need it for the simple reason that demand now outstrips supply. We could comfortably sell out at least 38,000, if not 40,000 plus, if we remain a Premier League club.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

The simple reality is that our stadium is full. People can't even get tickets anymore, unless they know somebody with a spare season ticket willing to let them borrow it or get lucky in the general sale. Season tickets themselves are like proverbial rocking horse poo for those who don't already have one.

We need an expansion, we really do. The fan in me wants it to A) boost the atmosphere and B) make our stadium somewhat unique considering it was an "out-of-the-box" design replicated in a number of other places built around the same time (see: St. Mary's, Riverside etc.) But the reality is that we need it for the simple reason that demand now outstrips supply. We could comfortably sell out at least 38,000, if not 40,000 plus, if we remain a Premier League club.

This is true. There's no room for spontaneity as well - I bet there's lots of people who don't want to commit so far ahead. I was on the train recently and some teenagers were debating going to the ground to get a ticket as they realised there was a match on, but had to break it that they would have no chance of getting a ticket. 

We have the odd game like the Bournemouth game coming up where it's possible to get multiple seats together in a row after Bournemouth returned some of their tickets and they opened up M1, but in general its quite difficult to get more than say two seats together. As an example, I have a friend who really wants to come to a match, and the only choices I can offer her are a) we just go the two of us and leave the guys behind or b) all four of us go to a cup match and sacrifice on the atmosphere meaning in reality she probably won't be coming back (have you seen our cup matches lately). I am sure I am not the only one.

Edited by rachhere
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I still think 8k extra tickets will soon get snapped up.With the money that’s going to be spent on the whole shebang,surely a bigger capacity ie 45k is a no brainer.Seeing as wolves will have 46k when they complete,Villa 50k,Everton 60k.Even If Derby expanded,they’d have 44k!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Tourists in the main, which is a problem imo as the EPL is becoming a tourist league in general in terms of match going fans, certainly the top half teams anyway.  I visited the Emirates a few years back and it was like a library, have experienced better atmosphere at Motherwell with less than ten thousand fans.

I really have a problem with ordinary fans being priced out of going to see their team, it's an afront tbh as there is more money in the game (in England anyway) than ever and clubs should be forced to subsidise a percentage of tickets for fans, particularly for children and those in lower income thresholds

Agree. EPl should be careful they don’t kill the golden goose by pricing out those that create the atmosphere in the stadiums. It’s largely that atmosphere that they are selling to the TV companies.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Instead of complaining about the lack of certain topics being discussed; do something about it? 

Start a topic talking about what you want discussed. 

Safe standing is something a lot of this forum is passionate about, but I'm sure a lot if not all care about the rest of the issues you've mentioned.

You'll have flattered most of this place by calling them young as well :thumbup:

The thread is called stadium expansion progress, not safe standing and by ‘a lot of us’ you mean you and the few others who seem to talk about nothing else on here.

At most 5,000 would stand, probably far less. What about the other 35,000? I stood for years back in the 70s and 80s by the way; there was nothing glamorous about it and crowds dwindled in the face of hooliganism, poor facilities and discomfort, which is why the majority will never go back to it. 

I’m happy to flatter the crowd on here by the way but really this myopic debate about safe standing is a side issue at best, at least for the large majority of fans who are more concerned about sitting with friends and family in comfort and enjoying good facilities and exciting football. 

By the way, two boys who attended the school I worked at lost their lives at Hillsborough. 

Now we’re getting on to a wider range of topics thank goodness. I agree wholeheartedly that we are alienating the casual fan who for a variety of good reasons can’t get a season ticket. Many teenagers for example, as well as people with young families, and those who can’t afford it. Many are our future fan base and need to be able to see their team if they are to stick with us.

Above all, this is the key issue for the silent majority, most of whom aren’t on FT. Compared to the other issues, this is really all that counts. I’ve no doubt the club have done their research, but I’d have thought 40k was a shade on the small size to be honest.

As for congestion, unless we have a great train or tram system you’re not going to persuade most fans to abandon their cars and park and ride doesn’t really work so that’s not the answer.

Both the Kop and family stand need to be pulled out so that concourses are twice the size.modern and food stalls selling good food for cheaper prices rather than expensive for crap food.  Yet again they/ve increased prices in the concourse this season and the food is no better.  For some reason no cheese burgers were being sold at the first game.

31 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

I’m happy to flatter the crowd on here by the way but really this myopic debate about safe standing is a side issue at best, at least for the large majority of fans who are more concerned about sitting with friends and family in comfort and enjoying good facilities and exciting football. 

22 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

Above all, this is the key issue for the silent majority, most of whom aren’t on FT. 

I don't wish to pick a fight with you, sir, but how do you know, and who on earth are you to speak for these majorities you confidently assert knowledge of?

I'm wondering now if you taught me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Weller said:

Now we’re getting on to a wider range of topics thank goodness. I agree wholeheartedly that we are alienating the casual fan who for a variety of good reasons can’t get a season ticket. Many teenagers for example, as well as people with young families, and those who can’t afford it. Many are our future fan base and need to be able to see their team if they are to stick with us.

Above all, this is the key issue for the silent majority, most of whom aren’t on FT. Compared to the other issues, this is really all that counts. I’ve no doubt the club have done their research, but I’d have thought 40k was a shade on the small size to be honest.

As for congestion, unless we have a great train or tram system you’re not going to persuade most fans to abandon their cars and park and ride doesn’t really work so that’s not the answer.

The only way to ease congestion would be to completely build a new stadium near the motorway which won’t happen.Leicesters roads can’t really be expanded so it’s just something that has to be put up,with unless as commented earlier we have a train system which I think would cost far too much.As for the food.If its shit,don’t eat it simple as!!Good quality food in footie ground would probably cost more than the shit now.The ground,I agree a shade small at 40k.Like I’ve commented previously,their could be an even bigger demand after completion if the club are striving to be a top six side!

13 minutes ago, Speedwell 🦊 said:

The only way to ease congestion would be to completely build a new stadium near the motorway which won’t happen.Leicesters roads can’t really be expanded so it’s just something that has to be put up,with unless as commented earlier we have a train system which I think would cost far too much.As for the food.If its shit,don’t eat it simple as!!Good quality food in footie ground would probably cost more than the shit now.The ground,I agree a shade small at 40k.Like I’ve commented previously,their could be an even bigger demand after completion if the club are striving to be a top six side!

Not the case. At Tottenham you can get a pie and a pint for £5. OK, so you have to watch Spurs, but that is still pretty good value

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

As callous as it sounds, why do people have to drop the H word in order to think that their argument is any more valid. You're comparing apples to oranges. As has been said about seven billion times, safe standing is NOT penning fans in with cages, it is NOT bringing back the terrible terraces of the 1970s and 80s which, no, were not glamorous. But football was not awash with money, an ever growing middle-class fan base or, let's be honest, the clubs giving a shit about the fans.

No-one is a proponent of going back to that era. Have you even seen what safe standing is like? It's markedly safer than seating when people stand, with a decreased chance in people piling down rows (whether by accident or for the BANTZ) as they fall celebrating.

Honestly, comparing safe standing to the 70s and 80s is a reflection on you, really. A failure to look forward, a failure to see how modern, safer technologies can enable a good atmosphere. It's all well and good for people to put their fingers in their ears and scream LALALALALA when it comes to standing at games. It happens, it happens on a relatively large scale, especially away games, and it's better to cater for that audience in a safe way than to ignore it and continue a bubbling frustration from an increasing number who want it.

Emphatically this. Hillsborough has no place in discussions about safe standing. There's no comparison to be made, and it's dishonest, cynical and shameful to suggest there is.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr Weller said:

The thread is called stadium expansion progress, not safe standing and by ‘a lot of us’ you mean you and the few others who seem to talk about nothing else on here.

At most 5,000 would stand, probably far less. What about the other 35,000? I stood for years back in the 70s and 80s by the way; there was nothing glamorous about it and crowds dwindled in the face of hooliganism, poor facilities and discomfort, which is why the majority will never go back to it. 

By the way, two boys who attended the school I worked at lost their lives at Hillsborough. 

You posted the exact response yesterday morning when challenged.

And as already said, please stop using Hillsborough as a reason for other people being unable to discuss safe standing. Quite frankly its disrespectful.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Done the questionnaire. Some weird questions on there but I'm up for a buffet.

Would be a big fan of a finger buffet at Boxing Day fixtures. Turkey, chips and pickles. 

Similar to celebrate the Belgian contingent in our squad we should have fresh taps of Leffe and bottles of Cantillon for one game of the season. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

There are some (I have read on other forums) that are against standing in any form, and believe they should be made to sit as it's simply safer to sit than to stand, and then the safe standing issue becomes moot.  It's an opinion I think that's uniquely British...dare I say uniquely English.

Based on the point you grabbed from other forums/discussions. Imagine celebrating a goal but not being allowed to stand up because it is unsafe. It's just ignorance because it works worldwide and in other sports across the globe too. Yet you can't trust English football fans of the Premiership or Championship (League 1 and below it is acceptable too). It's pretty pathetic really. As has been said many times, people currently standing in seated areas (and there are thousands at every game) is far more concerning for their safety and those sitting around them.

Some good examples are concerts with 100,000 people, that is in no way safe standing and a lot of people there are also beered up. It's a miracle there are no serious incidents on a regular basis. Crowdbreakers are few and far between at such events.