Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

38 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

There's a perfectly good railway line 200 yards from the Kop with room for a station, but unfortunately the County Council have done everything they can since the 1960s to prevent it from being reopened to passenger traffic, on the flimsy basis that they would have to part-subsidise the service. The political will is there from literally every other area - City Council, regional development forums, passenger rail groups, local MPs, multiple transport ministers in recent years and even apparently from those involved in the HS2 project. But it's a non-starter unless someone steps in to help make it viable - which is where the club could really make a difference.

A bit of investment from the club in such a project on the basis of the wider Leicester-Burton reopening case would be massively beneficial for A) those attending the match and B) Northwest Leicestershire as a whole. It could even be as simple a gesture as purchasing the land north of the Knighton South junction to accomodate relaying of the north curve (would cost about £2 million apparently, chicken feed for the club). With the rate Coalville is growing, there's bound to be interest in travelling by rail, either to games or into Leicester or Burton for work, and you'd have stations at places like Ashby and Meynell's Gorse Park & Ride as well. A growth in matchday crowd figures will only boost the business case for it - a simple survey of where people travel from to the game would be very useful in showing potential demand along the route for rail services to matches.

For reference, we just sold Harry Maguire for about the same amount of money as it would cost to fully re-open the line.

You’ve certainly done your homework Ontariofox!If they could join both lines going north and south,that would be great if it went ahead.A train from narborough to the ground and back for me Would be perfect.In reality,I think their would be too many hurdles to overcome sadly.We can all hope though!

20 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I sat right at the front of the kop just to the side of the goal for a game an Tim Flowers hung a massive towel on the net and it obscured a huge amount of the pitch! Had to ask him to move it to which he politely complied. I think that might be the same game Robbie Fowler told me to fvck off because I was giving him a load!!

That's probably when Robbie Fowler showed his arse to the kop?!

• 1 month later...
On 16/08/2019 at 13:25, OntarioFox said:
With the rate Coalville is growing, there's bound to be interest in travelling by rail.

Have you ever been to Coalville? It’s literally benefit frauds, single mums and charity shops. Oh and William Hill. Scumbags are everywhere, it’s a comedy to drive through though.

• Haha 2

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Have you ever been to Coalville? It’s literally benefit frauds, single mums and charity shops. Oh and William Hill. Scumbags are everywhere, it’s a comedy to drive through though.

Its literally not. Lovely people and mainly loyal to city unlike some of Leicesters satellite towns. Disgraceful post.

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Such a bandwagon comment.

There are few places in the UK that don't have the negative social aspects you state.

Coalville has the best boozer in the country, 'Stamford and Warrington', even if the landlord is a Wolves fan, or that's what I remember. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Its literally not. Lovely people and mainly loyal to city unlike some of Leicesters satellite towns. Disgraceful post.

Ok mark own up, you own the red house don’t you?! Or would have if it hadn’t shut down in failure and poverty like everything else in that cesspit 🙂🎣

Edited by SheppyFox
  • Sad 1

You’ve all convinced me, you’re absolutely right. Coalville is a desirable place to live, full of joy and economic boom. I’ve just instructed my financial team to buy Bakewell street, I’m moving in. 

Edited by SheppyFox
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

I used to travel to Coalville several times a week and always found it an interesting town with decent and humorous people - intelligent and welcoming. Certainly I would say few of them would willingly display the kind of lazy clichés and dopey stereotypes that you seem to deal in...

• Like 2

I work in Ellistown, have done for 7 years out the last 7.5 years. There's certainly parts of Coalville that aren't great but it does get an unfair rep. It's pretty standard for an ex mining town of it's size. The shopping centre isn't the Highcross, but it's never going to be. It does get ripped, even by the people who live here, and it does have some weirdos and scroungers, but then so does everywhere.

The one thing that you can and should criticise the place for is the Coalville Coat. Bloody hideous things.

And as I've just stood up for you, any local here, Gimme six! 

Edited by Facecloth
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3