Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion Progress!

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I have genuinely been to Cape Town more often than I have to Coalville. That's how attractive Coalville is.

I think the only ever time I have been to Coalville was to play a rugby match or a football match. Can't say I remember much of the place or that I even saw much of it.

 

Got a mate from Coalville and he's "normal".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Don’t make me laugh, Coalville is a dump.

 

were talking about the same place, near Ibstock? The place with the engineers arms and a couple of Chinese takeaways? 

 

Here's another on the bandwagon, tells everybody what its full of yet isnt even sure where it is.

 

Yes well done it has a pub and some Chinese takaways (how dare you forget the Kashmir Grill), pretty standard for a small town wouldnt you say?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

You’ve all convinced me, you’re absolutely right. Coalville is a desirable place to live, full of joy and economic boom. I’ve just instructed my financial team to buy Bakewell street, I’m moving in. 

Absolute prime spot that, smart investment.

10 years time, you won't recognise the place.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

 

Here's another on the bandwagon, tells everybody what its full of yet isnt even sure where it is.

 

Yes well done it has a pub and some Chinese takaways (how dare you forget the Kashmir Grill), pretty standard for a small town wouldnt you say?

What fantasy bandwagon is this? The direct line to a Coalville soup kitchen? 🎣😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

What fantasy bandwagon is this? The direct line to a Coalville soup kitchen? 🎣😂

Mods

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I used to goto a club there about 20 years ago, forget the name now, but it was decent back in the day.

Emporium and its reopened in the last few years I think having been shut for ages.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Emporium and its reopened in the last few years I think having been shut for ages.

Thats the one. :D 

 

Some nice but very 'hazy' memories of that place 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 13:25, OntarioFox said:

There's a perfectly good railway line 200 yards from the Kop with room for a station, but unfortunately the County Council have done everything they can since the 1960s to prevent it from being reopened to passenger traffic, on the flimsy basis that they would have to part-subsidise the service. The political will is there from literally every other area - City Council, regional development forums, passenger rail groups, local MPs, multiple transport ministers in recent years and even apparently from those involved in the HS2 project. But it's a non-starter unless someone steps in to help make it viable - which is where the club could really make a difference.

A bit of investment from the club in such a project on the basis of the wider Leicester-Burton reopening case would be massively beneficial for A) those attending the match and B) Northwest Leicestershire as a whole. It could even be as simple a gesture as purchasing the land north of the Knighton South junction to accomodate relaying of the north curve (would cost about £2 million apparently, chicken feed for the club). With the rate Coalville is growing, there's bound to be interest in travelling by rail, either to games or into Leicester or Burton for work, and you'd have stations at places like Ashby and Meynell's Gorse Park & Ride as well. A growth in matchday crowd figures will only boost the business case for it - a simple survey of where people travel from to the game would be very useful in showing potential demand along the route for rail services to matches.

For reference, we just sold Harry Maguire for about the same amount of money as it would cost to fully re-open the line.

I totally agree with this. There's plenty of space for a station behind the Kop. The line joins the mainline going south and runs through Kibworth and to Market Harborough. Putting a train to the station from that direction would take the strain off the main train station. In the other direction it runs close to Desford, up through Coalville and out to Ashby. It's a no brainer to bring that line back in to play, and maybe even attempt to connect the line from Loughborough to it to again avoid people getting off at the main station.

 

The county is terrible for railway link up, not just with neighbouring cities, but within the county to. The roads are terrible going into the city and few satellite railway stations on these lines would relieve some pressure. The line runs through Kibworth, but there's no station, it goes past Desford, no station. The other line goes through the Belgrave area up through Thurmaston, but theres no station until Syston, which as an irregular service. Not just the club but the city needs to utilise the fact it has railway lines running though it to attempt to take the strain off the terrible road system. You only have to look at how many stations are in the suburbs and town on the line coming out of Nottingham to see how much we're under using ours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I have genuinely been to Cape Town more often than I have to Coalville. That's how attractive Coalville is.

Long Street in Cape Town has some eerily similar characters to Coaville lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

So how is the stadium expansion going lads?

Think it's being built in Coalville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, surrifox said:

Not in Cape Town?

Couldn't get planning permission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 13:25, OntarioFox said:

There's a perfectly good railway line 200 yards from the Kop with room for a station, but unfortunately the County Council have done everything they can since the 1960s to prevent it from being reopened to passenger traffic, on the flimsy basis that they would have to part-subsidise the service. The political will is there from literally every other area - City Council, regional development forums, passenger rail groups, local MPs, multiple transport ministers in recent years and even apparently from those involved in the HS2 project. But it's a non-starter unless someone steps in to help make it viable - which is where the club could really make a difference.

A bit of investment from the club in such a project on the basis of the wider Leicester-Burton reopening case would be massively beneficial for A) those attending the match and B) Northwest Leicestershire as a whole. It could even be as simple a gesture as purchasing the land north of the Knighton South junction to accomodate relaying of the north curve (would cost about £2 million apparently, chicken feed for the club). With the rate Coalville is growing, there's bound to be interest in travelling by rail, either to games or into Leicester or Burton for work, and you'd have stations at places like Ashby and Meynell's Gorse Park & Ride as well. A growth in matchday crowd figures will only boost the business case for it - a simple survey of where people travel from to the game would be very useful in showing potential demand along the route for rail services to matches.

For reference, we just sold Harry Maguire for about the same amount of money as it would cost to fully re-open the line.

 

Oi, that line goes along the back of our house! :o When arguing for it, it might be worth acknowledging that thousands of Leicester home owners are going to get shafted if we get a vast increase in traffic.

 

It does depend how much more traffic there would be, of course. A doubling of traffic would be barely noticed, but if it quadrupled (or more) we might well be looking at losing 5 figure sums on the value of our property. :sweating:

 

I'm a big believer in the value of an effective rail system, and I'd be prepared to take some extra traffic, but we live and sleep about 50 feet from the train line. Going from 1 train every 4 hours, to 4 every hour would be an absolute disaster for me personally.

 

I always thought a bridge and a route through Rowley Fields would be better ;), but I bet some-one who lives there would be doing their nut at that idea!

 

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I totally agree with this. There's plenty of space for a station behind the Kop. The line joins the mainline going south and runs through Kibworth and to Market Harborough. Putting a train to the station from that direction would take the strain off the main train station. In the other direction it runs close to Desford, up through Coalville and out to Ashby. It's a no brainer to bring that line back in to play, and maybe even attempt to connect the line from Loughborough to it to again avoid people getting off at the main station.

 

The county is terrible for railway link up, not just with neighbouring cities, but within the county to. The roads are terrible going into the city and few satellite railway stations on these lines would relieve some pressure. The line runs through Kibworth, but there's no station, it goes past Desford, no station. The other line goes through the Belgrave area up through Thurmaston, but theres no station until Syston, which as an irregular service. Not just the club but the city needs to utilise the fact it has railway lines running though it to attempt to take the strain off the terrible road system. You only have to look at how many stations are in the suburbs and town on the line coming out of Nottingham to see how much we're under using ours.

If you were going to run services that way they'd have to terminate at Kettering or Corby as there'd be nowhere to put the trains after the revamp at Harborough, due to sidings being demolished. It'd also be pointless throwing any money into a development which couldn't link NW Leics to Leicester's main station, so they'd have to find a way of rejoining the line northbound near Saffron Lane stadium.

 

Fully agree with you though. Our thinking on rail in the county (and country) is so bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I know I will be accused of nimbyism, but it is hard to approve of something that could cost us a small fortune personally. We already sacrifice all our street parking when the footy is on, and some of the late arrivals just dump their cars all over the shop.

 

I can see the benefits for almost everyone else in reforging our rail links with the thriving metropolis of Burton, obviously, but park and ride through Rowley Fields would be cheap. :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

If you were going to run services that way they'd have to terminate at Kettering or Corby as there'd be nowhere to put the trains after the revamp at Harborough, due to sidings being demolished. It'd also be pointless throwing any money into a development which couldn't link NW Leics to Leicester's main station, so they'd have to find a way of rejoining the line northbound near Saffron Lane stadium.

 

Fully agree with you though. Our thinking on rail in the county (and country) is so bad!

I mentioned about that when I said about the trains coming from Loughborough.

 

There's certainly options, we're just not using them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in Coalville for a short while, and venturing into the town center was like a mixture of Mordor and Royston Vasey..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...