Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

A few seem to have this a bit too seriously. Seems to have just been a joke about a part of Leicester, just as everyone takes the piss out of any other part of the country.

Also, just because the inhabitants are Leicester fans, doesn't make the place immune to being joked about. There's an entire thread about how the city of Leicester is a bit of a dump.

1 hour ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I know I will be accused of nimbyism, but it is hard to approve of something that could cost us a small fortune personally. We already sacrifice all our street parking when the footy is on, and some of the late arrivals just dump their cars all over the shop.

I can see the benefits for almost everyone else in reforging our rail links with the thriving metropolis of Burton, obviously, but park and ride through Rowley Fields would be cheap. :whistle:

Barclay Street?

7 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Are the club still waiting for the contract on the National Grid buildings to expire before applying for planning ??

I think it was mentioned some while back that the contract was up about now :dunno:

I’d heard it was that and the EON building that was due to be available this year. If that is the case, the potential plans could be enormous!

On the subject of a train station at the ground, while I am keen to develop public transport as much as possible, experience of other clubs with an adjacent rail station suggests that they don't work and are not used for football transport.

The problem is that at the end of a game, you have everyone who has arrived at the same station before the game wanting to quickly board a train back to where they came from. And no suburban railway can cope with, say, 5000 people turning up all at once. Those who have been to London grounds may have seen how tube trains are lined up to take the heaving cockneys back to their palatial residences, but train companies will not have enough carriages and engines to do this, and there is a safety issue as well with more trains than the system can cope with. 

55 minutes ago, Fox1970 said:

On the subject of a train station at the ground, while I am keen to develop public transport as much as possible, experience of other clubs with an adjacent rail station suggests that they don't work and are not used for football transport.

The problem is that at the end of a game, you have everyone who has arrived at the same station before the game wanting to quickly board a train back to where they came from. And no suburban railway can cope with, say, 5000 people turning up all at once. Those who have been to London grounds may have seen how tube trains are lined up to take the heaving cockneys back to their palatial residences, but train companies will not have enough carriages and engines to do this, and there is a safety issue as well with more trains than the system can cope with. 

Good point especially when comparing to London grounds. We'd have a hell of a lot more people leaving early because they want to catch the train before the mad rush.

I'd hate to have a system like they have at Wembley where you have a staggered flow back to the tube station. Yes, I understand it's for safety and wholly appreciate that. But it's frustrating and tiresome.

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Good point especially when comparing to London grounds. We'd have a hell of a lot more people leaving early because they want to catch the train before the mad rush.

I'd hate to have a system like they have at Wembley where you have a staggered flow back to the tube station. Yes, I understand it's for safety and wholly appreciate that. But it's frustrating and tiresome.

The Wembley trains are a bloody mess, Wembley has the space to snake queues of people around whilst they wait for various trains. We simply wouldn't have the space. 

And you're right, we'd have loads leaving early to beat the train queues, and we know how certain posters feel on leaving early.

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The Wembley trains are a bloody mess, Wembley has the space to snake queues of people around whilst they wait for various trains. We simply wouldn't have the space. 

And you're right, we'd have loads leaving early to beat the train queues, and we know how certain posters feel on leaving early.

To be honest, the tube trains are fine and there's certainly enough of them and the regularity of them to handle the capacity. The problem is the huge surge in a short space of time and platforms becoming overcrowded. It's actually quite dangerous. The tube station itself needs a bit of a refurb. Once you get out of it and on to the steps it's not too bad. It's not helped by all the tourists that stop at the entrance (top of the stairs) taking a picture of Wembley and blocking the flow.

19 minutes ago, StanSP said:

To be honest, the tube trains are fine and there's certainly enough of them and the regularity of them to handle the capacity. The problem is the huge surge in a short space of time and platforms becoming overcrowded. It's actually quite dangerous. The tube station itself needs a bit of a refurb. Once you get out of it and on to the steps it's not too bad. It's not helped by all the tourists that stop at the entrance (top of the stairs) taking a picture of Wembley and blocking the flow.

The tube is fine yeah, but the trains back up to Leamington/Coventry weren't great, especially in terms of safety as you said. 

We'd need frequent trains to the ground to make this worthwhile, and I doubt that would happen in all honesty

10 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Worked fine at Brighton. Train station that is

Which was already in use and facilities set up prior to the station being built. 

This is the opposite way round which makes it more difficult. 

Also, there's a huge train queue for leaving the station from 2 hours before kick off which causes issues. 

It's a good system, but isn't without its problems 

6 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

What was that dance club in coalville called? I remember it being pretty good 'back in the day'

It was Crystals if you were about in the mid 90's then went on to become the Emporium in which the main trance night was Passion which became one of the most well known club nights in Europe in it's day.

People can take the piss but thanks to a few local lads it out lasted the likes of the original Gatecrasher, Cream, Heaven etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Which was already in use and facilities set up prior to the station being built. 

This is the opposite way round which makes it more difficult. 

Also, there's a huge train queue for leaving the station from 2 hours before kick off which causes issues. 

It's a good system, but isn't without its problems 

True, but 10,000 extra capacity adds a lot of cars to an already congested road system, which will cause a lot of time wasted sitting about

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

It was Crystals if you were about in the mid 90's then went on to become the Emporium in which the main trance night was Passion which became one of the most well known club nights in Europe in it's day.

People can take the piss but thanks to a few local lads it out lasted the likes of the original Gatecrasher, Cream, Heaven etc.

Passion at the emporium that's what I was thinking about! Right on our doorstep. Clubbers used to travel from all over the country to go there. From my limited knowledge of coalville that was the best thing that ever happened there.

8 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Barclay Street?

Err dunno the road names involved, more like Evesham Road after a quick look on the map. The wider roads slightly farther out of town would be better but tarmac-ing a bit of Aylestone Meadows would annoy people. Even if they only used it on match days it would help. I can't remember where I picked the idea up from, but I don't think it was my original thought. 

I guess my suggestion is a teensy-weensy bit self serving really, rather than particularly serious. I've calmed down about the prospect of extra trains. My other half pointed out that outside commuter hours they would be pretty infrequent, as the demand on that route is mainly going to be local.

Having looked around the campaign has been going for ages, so it is far from a done deal. If it does look likely to happen we would think about selling then, depending on how busy the line would be going forward.

7 hours ago, Claridge said:

True, but 10,000 extra capacity adds a lot of cars to an already congested road system, which will cause a lot of time wasted sitting about

I agree with you, just think we're under estimating how much work is needed to get a train line up and running 

I remember the days when fans used to ‘catch a bus in’ and walk to the ground from the town centre, coaches from the outlying towns & villages used to park alongside the canal/river....

Up the City :scarf:

13 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Are the club still waiting for the contract on the National Grid buildings to expire before applying for planning ??

I think it was mentioned some while back that the contract was up about now :dunno:

I think you’ll find that National Grid own the land