Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

12 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Can adults without kids buy tickets in the family stand when there are tickets un sold.?

No, you have to buy 1 adult and 1 under18 ticket, but then if you turn up on the day on your own you get turned away

15 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

No, you have to buy 1 adult and 1 under18 ticket, but then if you turn up on the day on your own you get turned away

Just dress the Mrs up as Janette Kankie look a like

the-alan-titchmarsh-show-tv-programme-lo

• Haha 3

Guest Markyblue
13 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

You can't even enter the stand without a U18. If my wife works late, we have to call ahead and she has to get a special pass at the ticket office.

All for a family stand but some flexibility needed surely. 

I would like to see more done with the concourses, they honestly need to be looking at what Spurs have done with their ground instead of having something worthy of cattle. Choice of bars and eateries, places to sit and eat etc... a bar would be nice.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I would like to see more done with the concourses, they honestly need to be looking at what Spurs have done with their ground instead of having something worthy of cattle. Choice of bars and eateries, places to sit and eat etc... a bar would be nice.

Concourses are awful currently. I packed in even attempting to get anything at half time 2 seasons ago. I now sit in my seat and go down for a slash just before the second half kicks off. There's still massive queues when I go back up. Obviously space is limited but this really should be looked into when we expand.

Guest Markyblue
15 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

Concourses are awful currently. I packed in even attempting to get anything at half time 2 seasons ago. I now sit in my seat and go down for a slash just before the second half kicks off. There's still massive queues when I go back up. Obviously space is limited but this really should be looked into when we expand.

The whole concourse area is extremely poor and needs major upgrading,  long queues and shite beer in plastic glasses. 

I was a little concerned about the lack of tickets sold for the Villa game as well, but look at the examples from the post above, 1st legs of the semi-final usually don’t sell out for most clubs. 

Just had a quick browse at the Villa tickets, a quick rough tot up leaves us at 28k attendance on Tuesday. While I’m annoyed that this hasn’t sold out (yet), it’s not the end of the world for a game just after a very busy Christmas period, where money is tight, midweek, against a lower class opponent and is on TV. 

Up the Citeh

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

Just had a quick browse at the Villa tickets, a quick rough tot up leaves us at 28k attendance on Tuesday. While I’m annoyed that this hasn’t sold out (yet), it’s not the end of the world for a game just after a very busy Christmas period, where money is tight, midweek, against a lower class opponent and is on TV. 

Up the Citeh

Could be worse, with 10k seats added the ground would have been 2 thirds full for a semi final...

Guest Markyblue

24 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Could be worse, with 10k seats added the ground would have been 2 thirds full for a semi final...

The expansion is for the premier league,  we sell out constantly, Southampton is sold out the villa semi final isn't yet. Regardless of what people think both cup competitions do not have the pulling power of the premier league,  its 2020 like it or not premier league is king.

5 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I suggest anyone that reckons we need a bigger ground looks at the Villa semi home leg on the website lol

Hope everyone that constantly moans about how it's apparently so hard to get tickets (its not) is going.

There's only 4.5k left and another 5 games to go. Hardly a barometer.

2 hours ago, Yes said:

I was a little concerned about the lack of tickets sold for the Villa game as well, but look at the examples from the post above, 1st legs of the semi-final usually don’t sell out for most clubs. 

They've got a lot of big injuries to their squad, give them a thorough drubbing and we shall be rosie :thumbup:

I was gagged:revenge: for having the wrong opinion on here it seems.

Firstly it’s a forum for opinion.  Hopefully it’s not an echo chamber as I posted my thoughts, got a chunk of the (same) different views back, didn’t swear or abuse anyone……yet I’m blocked? I got one sentence replies, or just a few words put back at me, but I'm supposed to write a master piece back to justify my views in more detail I guess (ironic as follows) . 

Secondly, this is exactly a place for discussion on Leicester City....yes?  I have my thoughts and opinions and likewise you all do to. It's not a fact I'm wrong in what I say.  This is comment thread hypothesising about something which hasn’t actually happened yet.

Finally, I would like to think despite differing opinions, a degree of respect can be shown and those so inclined, can refrain from throwing abuse towards me.

So before I make a couple of points below, can I suggest where I think we are as a team/club now.  In reality it’s probably the best situation Leicester City finds itself in the 125+ year history.  With so many factors to use on the “barometer” it would be a fair conclusion to state this is the best it’s ever been.  Ok, it’s my opinion, but for the sake of the rest of this post, let’s assume it’s the case.

The best it’s ever been. Bloody brilliant and I’m loving every minute.

Reasons for my doubt on the expansion potentially proposed though is:

a)      The prospect of 10000 extra seats, likely behind the East Stand will alter the atmosphere of the ground.  I believe it would make it less intimidating and more likely regressing on the way the ground sounds/feels. Look at clubs like Sunderland, Cardiff etc.  It’s not made them anymore atmospheric and causes other issues.  The extra tickets will be higher up in view, probably with a chunk of corporate.  Good for money, crap for atmosphere.

b)      What happens if we (which is very plausible) drift into a mid-table team in 2-3 years time.  We have no right to be top 4 and this season has been a fantastic achievement so far.  Our recruitment has been superb in recent years, but so many things could change for the worse.  Are we really believing we can sustain top 4 year in year out? Maybe we can, I hope so, but chances are probably not yet.

c)       Considering our current situation, amazing place in the table, yes I have used the Wigan game as another “barometer” to question our need/ability to expand.  We are a day away from the game and with 10000 more seats on top, they would all be empty for this fixture based on sales.  It’s taken well over 2 weeks and we’ve still not quite sold out (consider our place in the Prem table, League cup run, etc) at £10/15 a ticket.  The game went on sale a week before the League cup game was finalised. I read peoples comments back at me, but considering how well we are playing, our current status in the League, I am genuinely concerned we are not big enough (at the moment) to sustain 42500 seats sold for 70-80% of our fixtures.  What’s the point otherwise?  If there are so many fans from everywhere desperate to go, couple this with ST holders who would surely go along for a £tenner, the club wouldn’t have opened just the West Stand for sales initially.  The club clearly doubted we could sell half the ground, let alone with 10000 more seats on top of the current capacity. Its great we're almost sold out now, but aside of that, I ask, would Chelsea open one stand only for initial sales against Wigan at home in the cup? Be honest. 

d)      Population/Pedigree.  Whatever you throw at me, it is a fact the county of Leicestershire, including the City is relatively small in population. In some ways the Tigers history of tapping into the sporting conscious mind in the local area and wider counties, took many years in the top flight to achieve and the good crowds they get now (sport relevant of course).  This is partly why I think it’s still too soon to go bigger in the format proposed. Have we got the history, the real “pedigree” to capture 10000 extra regular fans pretty much overnight? Delusions of grandeur aside, we are in the early stages of making it genuinely big, its been an amazing 8+ years, but have we really got copious amounts of fans desperate to go…… Wigan fixture shows, not particularly.  Still around 4000+ tickets available for the Villa Semi-Final as well.

e)      I’ve read comments on here I understand and actually agree with.  I understand the profile of the club will be enhanced in some quarters. I understand the revenue streams would improve, corporate etc.  I understand the point about the (Brilliant) Owners wanting the enhanced profile. I would not argue one bit it’s difficult to get tickets for the bigger Prem Games currently (almost impossible in fact).  However, this is with us 2nd in the table.  Under Puel, you could get to games and we often had some empty seats.  Excitement is palpable at the moment, but it takes numerous generations of both direct supporters and other fans perceptions for us to really be bigger, more established.  If you think about it, our journey has been rapid.  League one winners 2008/09.  Premiership winners 2015/16.  That is bonkers, but despite it being amazing for us, we’re still new kids on the block in reality and you only have to look at the terrible media bias against us to appreciate this.  They barely want to talk about us and as usual it’s the old top 4/6, still are treated as the real top 4/6, both on the column inches in the papers and online.  We're a distraction. So would adding 10000 seats onto an existing stadium really, honestly, make us into a bigger club in the eyes of the footballing world, footballers touted locally, globally and the press?  I personally don’t think it would.  The training ground is a totally different matter though.

f)       Empty seats.  How would you feel watching us with some empty seats around you? Say potentially 30-40% of the fixtures (that’s apparently quoted as the chances by the Burch), particularly if we can’t maintain top 4?  It could happen at the moment if we're being realistic.

g)      I fully get a lot of the reasoning against my opinion as we’re on a crest of a wave right now and I’m the pantomime baddy on here.  Equally, I’ve admitted in earlier posts I hope I am wrong and we fill an extra 10000 seats weekly. I really do, but using the Wigan game as one part of my reasoning I feel it’s still just too soon for expansion and IMHO the wrong option……….

………..Could the debate instead cover building a new stadium, maybe with a different location and better logistically for attendances?  A stadium maybe 40000-45000, but built to harness the best, eco friendly, logistical, most intimidating atmosphere possible and designed to have the ability to cope with slightly lesser crowds at the same time (yes could happen).  Built in a few years’ time, when time served at the top is unquestionable and our status is truly fixed as one of the big(ger) boys?

If we really are that "big" a new stadium built with timelines and finances would be realistic.  A new stadium, a great new stadium really would be that statement we all want.

I just feel slapping 10000 more seats into one stand (or maybe 2), in the current stadium/location, with the current realities on attendances, might get the juices going on this forum, but likely counter-productive in the long run.

That OK for you mods?

Going tomorrow and Wednesday. Up the Foxes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Firstly it’s a forum for opinion.  Hopefully it’s not an echo chamber as I posted my thoughts, got a chunk of the (same) different views back, didn’t swear or abuse anyone……yet I’m blocked? I got one sentence replies, or just a few words put back at me, but I'm supposed to write a master piece back to justify my views in more detail I guess (ironic as follows) . 

Secondly, this is exactly a place for discussion on Leicester City....yes?  I have my thoughts and opinions and likewise you all do to. It's not a fact I'm wrong in what I say.  This is comment thread hypothesising about something which hasn’t actually happened yet.

Finally, I would like to think despite differing opinions, a degree of respect can be shown and those so inclined, can refrain from throwing abuse towards me.

So before I make a couple of points below, can I suggest where I think we are as a team/club now.  In reality it’s probably the best situation Leicester City finds itself in the 125+ year history.  With so many factors to use on the “barometer” it would be a fair conclusion to state this is the best it’s ever been.  Ok, it’s my opinion, but for the sake of the rest of this post, let’s assume it’s the case.

a)      The prospect of 10000 extra seats, likely behind the East Stand will alter the atmosphere of the ground.  I believe it would make it less intimidating and more likely regressing on the way the ground sounds/feels. Look at clubs like Sunderland, Cardiff etc.  It’s not made them anymore atmospheric and causes other issues.  The extra tickets will be higher up in view, probably with a chunk of corporate.  Good for money, crap for atmosphere.

b)      What happens if we (which is very plausible) drift into a mid-table team in 2-3 years time.  We have no right to be top 4 and this season has been a fantastic achievement so far.  Our recruitment has been superb in recent years, but so many things could change for the worse.  Are we really believing we can sustain top 4 year in year out? Maybe we can, I hope so, but chances are probably not yet.

c)       Considering our current situation, amazing place in the table, yes I have used the Wigan game as another “barometer” to question our need/ability to expand.  We are a day away from the game and with 10000 more seats on top, they would all be empty for this fixture based on sales.  It’s taken well over 2 weeks and we’ve still not quite sold out (consider our place in the Prem table, League cup run, etc) at £10/15 a ticket.  The game went on sale a week before the League cup game was finalised. I read peoples comments back at me, but considering how well we are playing, our current status in the League, I am genuinely concerned we are not big enough (at the moment) to sustain 42500 seats sold for 70-80% of our fixtures.  What’s the point otherwise?  If there are so many fans from everywhere desperate to go, couple this with ST holders who would surely go along for a £tenner, the club wouldn’t have opened just the West Stand for sales initially.  The club clearly doubted we could sell half the ground, let alone with 10000 more seats on top of the current capacity. Its great we're almost sold out now, but aside of that, I ask, would Chelsea open one stand only for initial sales against Wigan at home in the cup? Be honest. 

d)      Population/Pedigree.  Whatever you throw at me, it is a fact the county of Leicestershire, including the City is relatively small in population. In some ways the Tigers history of tapping into the sporting conscious mind in the local area and wider counties, took many years in the top flight to achieve and the good crowds they get now (sport relevant of course).  This is partly why I think it’s still too soon to go bigger in the format proposed. Have we got the history, the real “pedigree” to capture 10000 extra regular fans pretty much overnight? Delusions of grandeur aside, we are in the early stages of making it genuinely big, its been an amazing 8+ years, but have we really got copious amounts of fans desperate to go…… Wigan fixture shows, not particularly.  Still around 4000+ tickets available for the Villa Semi-Final as well.

e)      I’ve read comments on here I understand and actually agree with.  I understand the profile of the club will be enhanced in some quarters. I understand the revenue streams would improve, corporate etc.  I understand the point about the (Brilliant) Owners wanting the enhanced profile. I would not argue one bit it’s difficult to get tickets for the bigger Prem Games currently (almost impossible in fact).  However, this is with us 2nd in the table.  Under Puel, you could get to games and we often had some empty seats.  Excitement is palpable at the moment, but it takes numerous generations of both direct supporters and other fans perceptions for us to really be bigger, more established.  If you think about it, our journey has been rapid.  League one winners 2008/09.  Premiership winners 2015/16.  That is bonkers, but despite it being amazing for us, we’re still new kids on the block in reality and you only have to look at the terrible media bias against us to appreciate this.  They barely want to talk about us and as usual it’s the old top 4/6, still are treated as the real top 4/6, both on the column inches in the papers and online.  We're a distraction. So would adding 10000 seats onto an existing stadium really, honestly, make us into a bigger club in the eyes of the footballing world, footballers touted locally, globally and the press?  I personally don’t think it would.  The training ground is a totally different matter though.

f)       Empty seats.  How would you feel watching us with some empty seats around you? Say potentially 30-40% of the fixtures (that’s apparently quoted as the chances by the Burch), particularly if we can’t maintain top 4?  It could happen at the moment if we're being realistic.

g)      I fully get a lot of the reasoning against my opinion as we’re on a crest of a wave right now and I’m the pantomime baddy on here.  Equally, I’ve admitted in earlier posts I hope I am wrong and we fill an extra 10000 seats weekly. I really do, but using the Wigan game as one part of my reasoning I feel it’s still just too soon for expansion and IMHO the wrong option……….

………..Could the debate instead cover building a new stadium, maybe with a different location and better logistically for attendances?  A stadium maybe 40000-45000, but built to harness the best, eco friendly, logistical, most intimidating atmosphere possible and designed to have the ability to cope with slightly lesser crowds at the same time (yes could happen).  Built in a few years’ time, when time served at the top is unquestionable and our status is truly fixed as one of the big(ger) boys?

If we really are that "big" a new stadium built with timelines and finances would be realistic.  A new stadium, a great new stadium really would be that statement we all want.

I just feel slapping 10000 more seats into one stand (or maybe 2), in the current stadium/location, with the current realities on attendances, might get the juices going on this forum, but likely counter-productive in the long run.

That OK for you mods?

You say that 10.000 seats will be empty, for cup games they could just close the upper tier of the east stand. We are 99.5% full per season (sometimes have extra tickets in away end) aginst lower clubs who don't sell allocation so demand is there for the lower teams. Cup games for absolutely years have not sold out and many of the bigger clubs don't either think fans have lost a lot of love for the cup these days.

I think a new stadium would be better than adding 10k, but it is not our money and the funds would have to be justified, the atmoshere would most likely be better and it would issue a big statement. At the moment it is almost impossible to get a season ticket, so extra seats would help and if we carry on improving as a team them demand will grow. Tickets sales at the moment, just after Christmas, with extra games for the FA cup and EFL cup semi will have be slow due to peoples finances, if this was month later I do not think this would be an issue.

The owners will not want to look backwards now, the only way is up and you need momentum for that, increased capacity or a new ground is part of that. Change always happens and we want to be part of that, be positive not negative, if it fails, it fails, but best to have tried and it could well work, the top six have no divine right to be there and football ever evolves.

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, Dorkingfox said:

I think a new stadium would be better than adding 10k, but it is not our money and the funds would have to be justified, the atmoshere would most likely be better and it would issue a big statement. At the moment it is almost impossible to get a season ticket, so extra seats would help and if we carry on improving as a team them demand will grow. Tickets sales at the moment, just after Christmas, with extra games for the FA cup and EFL cup semi will have be slow due to peoples finances, if this was month later I do not think this would be an issue.

The owners will not want to look backwards now, the only way is up and you need momentum for that, increased capacity or a new ground is part of that. Change always happens and we want to be part of that, be positive not negative, if it fails, it fails, but best to have tried and it could well work, the top six have no divine right to be there and football ever evolves.

There will be no new stadium. There will be a ground expansion. 

1 hour ago, Dorkingfox said:

It was bad enough leaving Filbert St. And you want to leave our prem winning ground after a few years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

It was bad enough leaving Filbert St. And you want to leave our prem winning ground after a few years.

Not wanting to move, just an option to the expansion of the current ground, improvements are always welcome, as the club is ever evolving. I did not minf leaving Filbert Street as it lost a lot of its soul when standing went, 42k crammed in on a cup game was electric, but times move on and football is changing for better or for worse.

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

Not wanting to move, just an option to the expansion of the current ground, improvements are always welcome, as the club is ever evolving. I did not minf leaving Filbert Street as it lost a lot of its soul when standing went, 42k crammed in on a cup game was electric, but times move on and football is changing for better or for worse.

Does anybody seriously think top is going to leave the place his father died and let them build some flats or something,  its  not happening. 

3 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Does anybody seriously think top is going to leave the place his father died and let them build some flats or something,  its  not happening. 

There was talk of a new stadium before we lost Vichai but built on the existing Freeman's Wharf site. I believe that idea was binned as it would involve too much disruption for fans as we'd need to play a season or two at one of our lovely neighbours. Any other location would be a disaster involving a site out of town such as Fosse Park. We cannot, must not, move from our spiritual home, ever. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

That OK for you mods?

I'm pretty convinced that powers that be within the club will have addressed all of your points and many more. 

Whatever they decide to do I think we've built up enough trust in them to think they'll make the right decision for the future.

• Like 1

It looks as if we have now pretty much sold out the home allocation with the opening of L1 + much of the usual away allocation now sold to home supporters. 

Let's see how many other Premier and Championship clubs come close to that this weekend. Great effort by our lot.

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 1