Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

10 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The City fans and Tiger fans dispute was merely to give you context as to why the idea wouldn't be openly accepted. 

The fact is there are huge issues with using Welford road now.

We have around 23K season ticket holders, with Tigers having a capacity of under 26K. That leaves under 3k tickets for away fans that's usually at least 2K, normally 10% of allocation so say 2.5K. That leaves under 500 to 1000 tickets for members and general sale.

There's complaints now over availability of tickets; there simply isn't the space to use Welford road effectively at our current size. 

Oddly Welford Road isn't even the right size pitch for Rugby - therefore I don't think you can fit a football pitch on the playing area. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Oddly Welford Road isn't even the right size pitch for Rugby - therefore I don't think you can fit a football pitch on the playing area. 

Exactly, I was trying to get across that It isn't merely a case of a weird fan rivalry but there simply would be too many issues to even move for a short period of time 

10 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

This I was told at the FCC has been investigated. I don't know if they are telling the truth but apparently it's an old gauge of line and can't be married up to the existing trainlines. Meaning it would all have to be relaid for the club to be able to use.

I'm not an expert on trains so no idea how true. But the club have ruled it out for now.

That's quite interesting. 

However, it would still be easier to sort out the track area for trains than set up huge areas for Tram usage.

10 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

The City fans and Tiger fans dispute was merely to give you context as to why the idea wouldn't be openly accepted. 

The fact is there are huge issues with using Welford road now.

We have around 23K season ticket holders, with Tigers having a capacity of under 26K. That leaves under 3k tickets for away fans that's usually at least 2K, normally 10% of allocation so say 2.5K. That leaves under 500 to 1000 tickets for members and general sale.

There's complaints now over availability of tickets; there simply isn't the space to use Welford road effectively at our current size. 

Do you think we'd sell out each game if our STHs had to travel to the Ricoh? 

It would be a temporary fix to use Welford Rd but if they would look at that option remains to be seen. 

Only my thoughts on this matter, but to me, it would make sense not to have 20+ thousand fans travelling up the M69 on a Tuesday night at around 6pm

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Exactly, I was trying to get across that It isn't merely a case of a weird fan rivalry but there simply would be too many issues to even move for a short period of time 

It's why the Rugby World Cup was played at King Power rather than Welford Road. 

The Ricoh use would be legally difficult to do - firstly from rent values which is currently the bone of contention with Wasps/CCFC and also for the set miles from our original city rule within the EFL. Alongside this the Police wouldn't appreciate having no direct train link between the two cities. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

1 minute ago, Hollyfox said:

Do you think we'd sell out each game if our STHs had to travel to the Ricoh? 

It would be a temporary fix to use Welford Rd but if they would look at that option remains to be seen. 

Only my thoughts on this matter, but to me, it would make sense not to have 20+ thousand fans travelling up the M69 on a Tuesday night at around 6pm

The pitch is potentially an issue as well.

I'm pretty sure there are regulations that your stadium side needs to be large enough to accommodate your season ticket holders. That's simply not possible at Welford Road. 

It's irrelevant of the number who would go to the Ricoh. It's not as simple as you're suggesting and you're missing huge issues.

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's why the Rugby World Cup was played at King Power rather than Welford Road. 

The Ricoh use would be legally difficult to do - firstly from rent values which is currently the bone of contention with Wasps/CCFC and also for the set miles from our original city rule within the EFL. Alongside this the Police wouldn't appreciate having no direct train link between the two cities. 

There are just so many issues the other poster wasn't taking account for. 

But that is 100% an argument between Wasps and Cov that id love to stay well out of  

40 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

This I was told at the FCC has been investigated. I don't know if they are telling the truth but apparently it's an old gauge of line and can't be married up to the existing trainlines. Meaning it would all have to be relaid for the club to be able to use.

I'm not an expert on trains so no idea how true. But the club have ruled it out for now.

Not an expert on trains, but freight still runs on that line and the council are doing a study to see if it's worth opening it up cause the line runs up to Burton and they want to link up to HS2 there (if that happens) 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

No way you could predict the outcome there. It wouldn't be a situation Id want the club involved in, as it's weird enough as it is with the 2 clubs. 

And 3 potential tenants would be abysmal.

Yeah it could, but as was mentioned above, there has always been a weird rivalry between some groups of Tigers and City fans. Not sure of the extent, just bits from what I've read on here.

As well its only 25k seating, we have about that in season tickets, and away fans need to be taken into account as well. 

The tigers fans used to take the piss, cuz we was crap and always losing, how times have changed.

51 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Don't get that. It joins up with the main line a couple of hundred yards down and used to be the main line from Leicester to Burton and part of the Stephenson line, the bloke who invented the standard gauge. They're talking about re-opening it anyway and calling it the ivanhoe line, but they can't get any funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_and_Swannington_Railway

Edited by yorkie1999

I think one of the main changes in Leicester over the past 7-8 years, is that a lot of the younger generation actually support Leicester now, as opposed to teams like United and Liverpool. It means we have a growing fanbase within the city, which is of course, excellent and no doubt driven by success. I've seen the number thrown around a bit, but I get the feeling that expanding to 40,000 capacity would be just right for the level of demand that we have. Imagine the noise! 

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

As much as I hate how American it is Spurs have played a blinder getting fans staying in and around the ground. I'm surprised at the amount of people that are content paying premium prices for shit food and worse beer in bare, draughty concourses. Obviously, I'm not a market research business but if you sell a mixture of better beers, local produce, without cretins serving you at a reasonable price you're going to have more fans spending more time and money in the ground.

Compass having a long contract can't be an excuse anymore either, we're a Premier League club with European ambitions, we're not getting held hostage by some wanky corporate catering company probably headquartered in some hovel London satellite town.

Apparently the beers are reasonable price for London at the ground. Sub £5 and they don't have shit like Carlsberg. More local breweries etc...

Apparently

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Apparently the beers are reasonable price for London at the ground. Sub £5 and they don't have shit like Carlsberg. More local breweries etc...

Apparently

It's true - stock Beavertown which is ten minutes walk away from their stadium. Beer choices other than that are Heineken, Amstel, Strongbow and Old Mout Cider. Beavertown is a fiver, Amstel/Heineken is less than a fiver. 

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's true - stock Beavertown which is ten minutes walk away from their stadium. Beer choices other than that are Heineken, Amstel, Strongbow and Old Mout Cider. Beavertown is a fiver, Amstel/Heineken is less than a fiver. 

That is class to be fair

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Welford Road's a complete non starter, it's got a terrace there so it can't be used for football anyway. 

Temporary seating is pretty easy to put up. 

Many lower league clubs that get a pucka fa Cup draw do it quite regularly. 

Any, probably won't happen but playing at Nottingham, Derby or Cov would cause quite a few transportation problems with the huge numbers that would have to travel. 

Whether the club would ask some of our season ticket holders to opt out for a season if the capacity has to be reduced during building work could be an option. 

I'd want at least a free hat out of it though 

Just looking at that old freight line which runs behind the ground and does join up with the main north/south line out of Leicester station.

It runs behind the park and ride near Kirby Muxloe too. A station there would have plenty of parking already, and be within 5-10 minutes drive of much of New Parks and Braunstone. (also my mom's bungalow!)

Imagine how a train link from the west of the city could ease congestion on match day, while allowing all the 'Parkies' and 'Braunies' to have a pint while they were there too.

Got to be done!

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

At a FCC meeting last summer it was suggested that we stocked a local beer and everyone, I mean everyone in attendance agreed. We then proceeded to sell Singha and got sponsored by Bai Saigon... :facepalm:

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

If we did have to move temporarily, I'd like to see us help Notts County out. Wherever it would be, we'd be losing capacity anyway (unless it was Derby).

We'd go to Derby, I reckon. That would cater for the current capacity of home fans plus the usual amount of away supporters. Plus it is a direct train route, unlike to Coventry.

I doubt we'd move anyway, just that the stand in question wouldn't have a roof for a while.