Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

9 minutes ago, Speedwell 🦊 said:

I’m sure I read on Wikipedia once that the maximum capacity could be 55k!But would only happen if city were a consistent top six side.Not sure how they would achieve it though without expanding the west stand.:rolleyes:

10k East stand and 6k in both North and South would get you about there

10 minutes ago, Speedwell 🦊 said:

I’m sure I read on Wikipedia once that the maximum capacity could be 55k!But would only happen if city were a consistent top six side.Not sure how they would achieve it though without expanding the west stand.:rolleyes:

If expanding the east stand takes capacity up to around 40k, then that's around 8k added. That would mean expanding one of the end stands would add around 5k (roughly 2/3 length of longer stands). Expanding both ends would add around 10k to 40k. 50k. Then the two corners on the east stand could be filled in, which I guess would add at least another 5k. That's being quite conservative. The planned expansion of the east stand could take capacity to 45k, but will more likely be around 42k from what people have said.

Guest Markyblue
14 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Depends how full the brown envelope is. 

The football club and the owners have raised the profile of the city lets see if the city council have the vision to help or will the usual lack of ambition shine through. 

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

I thought it was just the Main Stand they cannot expand upon.

How long do planning applications usually take? 

16 weeks but that's because it will have to undergo an environmental impact assessment and be determined by committee. Easily enough time for summer. With the development as a whole they might go for an initial (outline) consent for the arena but do a detailed full reserved matters application for the stadium to get that shifting first. 

23 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

The football club and the owners have raised the profile of the city lets see if the city council have the vision to help or will the usual lack of ambition shine through. 

Highly unlikely the council will not give permission to the redevelopment of the whole area as it will clearly enhance it. Also the council will rinse the club with S106 contributions like they do everyone else who wants to develop anything.

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

Highly unlikely the council will not give permission to the redevelopment of the whole area as it will clearly enhance it. Also the council will rinse the club with S106 contributions like they do everyone else who wants to develop anything.

I agree to an extent, BUT i give it a day after the announcement before the usual suspects are bleating in the media about the impact to the area blah blah blah.

2 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I agree to an extent, BUT i give it a day after the announcement before the usual suspects are bleating in the media about the impact to the area blah blah blah.

Hahaha, I agree. Transport and parking at the top of the list no doubt!

Guest Markyblue
Just now, UHDrive said:

Hahaha, I agree. Transport and parking at the top of the list no doubt!

We live in an age where you could walk around giving people 20 pound notes and someone would complain.

56 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

16 weeks but that's because it will have to undergo an environmental impact assessment and be determined by committee. Easily enough time for summer. With the development as a whole they might go for an initial (outline) consent for the arena but do a detailed full reserved matters application for the stadium to get that shifting first. 

*Insert newt joke here*

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, red5 said:

Can someone confirm that the north and south sides can be extended, I've always understood since the stadium was built that only the east side can be extended and by 8,000.

I think north and south could only be extended if they were knocked down and rebuilt with new foundations 

• Like 1

I imagine this expansion will be big enough to accommodate any demand we will need without having to extend kop or family stands.

That said if there ever was further expansion I’d love to see the kop split with safe standing on the bottom and a double decker put above 

21 minutes ago, red5 said:

Can someone confirm that the north and south sides can be extended, I've always understood since the stadium was built that only the east side can be extended and by 8,000.

They can be extended but foundations would have to be increased. Would be something similar to Old Trafford when they built on the ends behind the goals.

45 minutes ago, red5 said:

I think the stadium was designed so that the east stand could easily be expanded to take total capacity to 40k. There is space for the north and south stands to be extended, but, as others have said, the foundations under them would have to be upgraded first.

Council have waved through a new Hotel on Granby halls car park, a new student village on the Uni’s Freeman Common Site and much closer to home a load of flats on the old Filbert street over the last couple of years.

All of which have more of a detrimental day to day affect on the local area than a football stadium and potential arena which actually enhance the area.

Not heard a pip out of the usual Mercury  moaners on those weirdly enough 

Edited by MattFox

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's bats in that old warehouse we should be worried about! If there's any in there at all we're fvkced. 

We'll have to get the batsy squad in.

15 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Council have waved through a new Hotel on Granby halls car park, a new student village on the Uni’s Freeman Common Site and much closer to home a load of flats on the old Filbert street over the last couple of years.

All of which have more of a detrimental day to day affect on the local area than a football stadium and potential arena which actually enhance the area.

Not heard a pip out of the usual Mercury  moaners on those weirdly enough 

Because the Tigers are going to get relegated they've got bigger problems to worry about.