Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

Fans are fickle. A dip in form and we seem to have about a 23k hardcore fan base who'll be there come rain or shine. 

There's about 10k fans here at the moment who I wouldn't call proper fans, just hanger on'ers. Yes, if you weren't interested in watching us in League 1 or even Championship you're one of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

Fans are fickle. A dip in form and we seem to have about a 23k hardcore fan base who'll be there come rain or shine. 

There's about 10k fans here at the moment who I wouldn't call proper fans, just hanger on'ers. Yes, if you weren't interested in watching us in League 1 or even Championship you're one of them. 

That hardcore fan base is likely to increase over time and possibly already has, if we expand by the time we go down we might see ourselves getting around 30k instead. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah. We used to have a hardcore of 10k, which over time grew to be about 20k when we were in League 1. People don't become "hardcore" without dipping a toe in first. 

Also the obsession with avoiding empty seats in England is bizzare, does anyone genuinely care if there are a few hundred empties for a game against Palace?

It's more expense that worries me. Moving to this stadium nearly ended the club, I don't want an unneeded extension finishing us off. 

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

It's more expense that worries me. Moving to this stadium nearly ended the club, I don't want an unneeded extension finishing us off. 

We're in a much better financial situation now though, with shrewd owners who, given their experience and how they've dealt with things off the pitch so far, would probably assess all the consequences and ramifications of an extension.

They're financially astute and you'd hope would have safeguarded the club from a financial perspective. Coronavirus is probably providing a big hit towards that but again, with the money the club has made from our European exploits and also TV rights over the years, I'd be very surprised if it's an extentsion that finishes us off. 

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We're in a much better financial situation now though, with shrewd owners who, given their experience and how they've dealt with things off the pitch so far, would probably assess all the consequences and ramifications of an extension.

They're financially astute and you'd hope would have safeguarded the club from a financial perspective. Coronavirus is probably providing a big hit towards that but again, with the money the club has made from our European exploits and also TV rights over the years, I'd be very surprised if it's an extentsion that finishes us off. 

You're probably right but £100 million on the training ground as well? If every match does end up being televised, do we really need to expand? I was a ST holder for 25 years but I prefer now to sit in the warm and watch with a beer in my hand. I won't be the only one. 

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

You're probably right but £100 million on the training ground as well? If every match does end up being televised, do we really need to expand? I was a ST holder for 25 years but I prefer now to sit in the warm and watch with a beer in my hand. I won't be the only one. 

It's an investment which will be paid over a considerable amount of time no doubt. We're in a very strong position on the pitch as well which is why it's so valuable we continue to challenge top 6/qualify for Europe. 

I guess there's some kind of natural flow of fans becoming STHs or stopping being one. I'd like to think we have gained quite a few fans (mainly youngsters?) who have supported us from since we got up to PL and also the success that followed. Another reason to remain competitive so we don't lose those fans to bigger clubs.

What's the waiting list for current STHs?

Guest Markyblue
57 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's an investment which will be paid over a considerable amount of time no doubt. We're in a very strong position on the pitch as well which is why it's so valuable we continue to challenge top 6/qualify for Europe. 

I guess there's some kind of natural flow of fans becoming STHs or stopping being one. I'd like to think we have gained quite a few fans (mainly youngsters?) who have supported us from since we got up to PL and also the success that followed. Another reason to remain competitive so we don't lose those fans to bigger clubs.

Not sure about waiting list , i think its some sort of points system for members. 

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

On the flip side, tv companies might become hesitant in the future to back TV deals worth billions so matchday revenue might become increasingly important

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

If the club need money then we have quite a few assets on the pitch. How much of the Maguire and Mahrez money do the club still have sloshing around? 

We usually have a net transfer spend of about £20m-£30m so not much if any 

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think that's definitely the case, when some give up their season ticket there'll be members diving in for it straight away. And as the ground is always full you'll continue to have a conveyor belt of people wanting to get in.

Always assumed it was a mix of waiting list and a ballot based on members having points. 

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

It was not the move or new ground that nearly cost us.

We had a manager in mon that new how to spend and was given nothing. They bought in Taylor and gave him a blank cheque.

It was total miss management.

I dont see Top letting that happen. Every move is calculated.

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

We had a manager in mon that new how to spend and was given nothing. They bought in Taylor and gave him a blank cheque.

It was the same board that appointed MON, nobody's infallible.

Just now, Webbo said:

It was the same board that appointed MON, nobody's infallible.

Read what Mon said last week. The chairman wanted him no one else did. They never worked with Mon.

Giving Taylor everything was probably an attempt to prove Mon was not special imo.

Even so I dont see Top ****ing it up. It's his dads dream, he will make sure it works.

20 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Let's not pretend that the current ownership haven't made mistakes. 

• Like 1

At this moment it would be crazy to start expanding the stadium with the current situation in mind. However if the social distancing rules allow big crowds again we should go for it. 
we have grow and try to get new fans get the love experience.
I live in Hertfordshire and have bumped into quite a few fans out and about who can’t go to games me to.

We are probably the best placed team to try and break into the so called big six and spoil their party.

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

If the club need money then we have quite a few assets on the pitch. How much of the Maguire and Mahrez money do the club still have sloshing around? 

I don’t think there is anything ‘sloshing’.  The last set of filed accounts don’t suggest that, but granted they don’t factor in Maguire’s sale (Spudulike... IFS?)

Accounts

Edited by SilverFox

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I wonder if people ever talked about downsizing Filbert St when we were only getting 14-15k a week?

I doubt it.

Or even 9k

2 hours ago, tetly said:

At this moment it would be crazy to start expanding the stadium with the current situation in mind. However if the social distancing rules allow big crowds again we should go for it. 
we have grow and try to get new fans get the love experience.
I live in Hertfordshire and have bumped into quite a few fans out and about who can’t go to games me to.

We are probably the best placed team to try and break into the so called big six and spoil their party.

With social distancing rules in effect, a bigger stadium would allow for a larger percentage of people to attend.

We could have an 80,000 seater stadium and still not accommodate all season ticket holders.

40 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

With social distancing rules in effect, a bigger stadium would allow for a larger percentage of people to attend.

We could have an 80,000 seater stadium and still not accommodate all season ticket holders.

Agree with that but just can’t see big crowds being allowed anytime soon. Would love to be wrong though.