Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

3 hours ago, tetly said:

At this moment it would be crazy to start expanding the stadium with the current situation in mind. 

We've no idea how long social distancing is going to be required but it's not like we'll have the expanded stadium built anytime soon. We've not even submitted plans let alone been granted permission. Those processes aren't overnight either. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

We've no idea how long social distancing is going to be required but it's not like we'll have the expanded stadium built anytime soon. We've not even submitted plans let alone been granted permission. Those processes aren't overnight either. 

No harm then going for it now then. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SilverFox said:

I don’t think there is anything ‘sloshing’.  The last set of filed accounts don’t suggest that, but granted they don’t factor in Maguire’s sale (Spudulike... IFS?)

Accounts

Maguire sale isn't factored. Mahrez money is in the Training Ground with PL tv monies. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tetly said:

Agree with that but just can’t see big crowds being allowed anytime soon. Would love to be wrong though.

I think it’s interesting that many people in football now seem to accept this.

It’s almost been forgotten that when the government moved to ban mass events in mid-March, the official justification was not that it would contribute significantly towards spreading the virus, but rather that it would put pressure on the emergency services.

As late as 13 March the UK’s chief scientific adviser said banning mass events would not have a “big effect” in containing the virus. 

Of course there’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then but it’s funny how the official reason for the ban seems hardly to matter any more. 

1 minute ago, leicesterseddon said:

I think it’s interesting that many people in football now seem to accept this.

It’s almost been forgotten that when the government moved to ban mass events in mid-March, the official justification was not that it would contribute significantly towards spreading the virus, but rather that it would put pressure on the emergency services.

As late as 13 March the UK’s chief scientific adviser said banning mass events would not have a “big effect” in containing the virus. 

Of course there’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then but it’s funny how the official reason for the ban seems hardly to matter any more. 

That's because we know it works, (and would have worked even better if the UK had locked down even earlier).  The problem is now one of mutation for this virus, which has always been happening, and since it's as contagious as we feared, even if not as fatal (thankfully), more waves of its spreading are expected in the near future.  Our only hope is that the nature of such mutations will not be as bad as it was for the flu in 1918 and since, so we can learn to live with it in the years to come, and/or viable vaccines are possible.  It's almost certain that this is the start of coronaviruses being as common and as dangerous as the flu (if not more so, due to increased contagiousness) every year from here on out - the problem, is just who it's going to affect within the population, given how it functions and the effects it causes.  Until this particular episode completely passes, however, and/or a viable vaccine is created, it makes sense to still limit gatherings, given its contagiousness, and amount of sufferers who are asymptomatic.

21 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

That's because we know it works, (and would have worked even better if the UK had locked down even earlier).  The problem is now one of mutation for this virus, which has always been happening, and since it's as contagious as we feared, even if not as fatal (thankfully), more waves of its spreading are expected in the near future.  Our only hope is that the nature of such mutations will not be as bad as it was for the flu in 1918 and since, so we can learn to live with it in the years to come, and/or viable vaccines are possible.  It's almost certain that this is the start of coronaviruses being as common and as dangerous as the flu (if not more so, due to increased contagiousness) every year from here on out - the problem, is just who it's going to affect within the population, given how it functions and the effects it causes.  Until this particular episode completely passes, however, and/or a viable vaccine is created, it makes sense to still limit gatherings, given its contagiousness, and amount of sufferers who are asymptomatic.

Understood but my point was whether there is a scientific justification for easing the ban on sporting events later than say reopening (indoor) clothes shops or cafés.

Everyone now seems to believe there is, whereas as far as I can tell they’ve never made that argument. 

1 minute ago, leicesterseddon said:

Understood but my point was whether there is a scientific justification for easing the ban on sporting events later than say reopening (indoor) clothes shops or cafés.

Everyone now seems to believe there is, whereas as far as I can tell they’ve never made that argument. 

It's far easier to regulate a slower flow of people through somewhere that's open for longer periods, than for a single event taking place at one time.

I saw in the news today that fans maybe allowed back next season  it with social distancing and random ballots to see which season ticket holders get to attend. Fine for lower league clubs who have half empty stadiums. I dont see how that's workable for larger clubs, if you pay for a season ticket and can only attend some games, how much do you pay? 

I doubt either The Emirates and The Etihad were built by the 'clubs'.

So costs of expanding shouldn't be worried about, particularly if the club maintains or improves its current league position regularly and have very decent cup runs.

5 hours ago, Beechey said:

You all talking about now not being the right time to expand. I think now might be the perfect time (global finance slightly aside). Normally these expansions greatly reduce the capacity of a stadium while the work is ongoing, which causes a drag in revenue. However if there’s a ban on attendance, subsequently there is no drop in revenue as nobody can attend anyway. If the mass gathering bans last for a long time, then now would be ideal.

Stadium expansions do not have to be funded by the club, but can be funded directly from the owners as these costs do not factor into FFP obligations. If Top wanted to, he could fund this thing and now would be the perfect time to start construction, free of constraints around fans on match days.

Some food for thought.

Don't forget Top's income has been massively hit by the lockdown too! Though I agree I'd love them to get it done while we can't attend.

4 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I doubt either The Emirates and The Etihad were built by the 'clubs'.

So costs of expanding shouldn't be worried about, particularly if the club maintains or improves its current league position regularly and have very decent cup runs.

Etihad was built by the Manchester City Council (£33m) and Sport England (£77m) for the Commonwealth Games in 2002. Man City paid £30m to change it to a football stadium way before Mansour came along. Not sure how much the south stand expansion cost but the owners paid £200m for the training centre and Etihad Campus next door.

10 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I saw in the news today that fans maybe allowed back next season  it with social distancing and random ballots to see which season ticket holders get to attend. Fine for lower league clubs who have half empty stadiums. I dont see how that's workable for larger clubs, if you pay for a season ticket and can only attend some games, how much do you pay? 

**** that, I'd rather watch it at home with a few cold ones and save myself £30. I'd imagine you'll per pay game pro rota.

On 24/05/2020 at 13:46, Webbo said:

It's more expense that worries me. Moving to this stadium nearly ended the club, I don't want an unneeded extension finishing us off. 

I wouldn't say the expansion is unneeded imo. The season tickets have been sold out every year we have been in the Premier League. We have north of 31k every game. I'm sure I saw somewhere on here a few months back there's something like 15k members.

Just take the Wigan cup game as an example, club only opened one stand, but the casual fan rocked up up until the day and it ended up being another 30k attendance. They're people who would use the expansion on occasion then eventually use it on a more frequent basis.

My current situation, had my season ticket since Filbert Street, never thought i'd need to worry about getting another, and if I did I'd be good to do it. I've got 2 kids now who enjoy going down and I've had to get them memberships with the hope of getting them both a season ticket. Very difficult to do with our current set up because there just isn't enough space to accommodate them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Beechey said:

You all talking about now not being the right time to expand. I think now might be the perfect time (global finance slightly aside). Normally these expansions greatly reduce the capacity of a stadium while the work is ongoing, which causes a drag in revenue. However if there’s a ban on attendance, subsequently there is no drop in revenue as nobody can attend anyway. If the mass gathering bans last for a long time, then now would be ideal.

Stadium expansions do not have to be funded by the club, but can be funded directly from the owners as these costs do not factor into FFP obligations. If Top wanted to, he could fund this thing and now would be the perfect time to start construction, free of constraints around fans on match days.

Some food for thought.

I bet Levy is salty about the timing of this virus, he could have definitely used it a couple years ago lol

1 hour ago, davieG said:

My son used to go with 10 of his mates all ST holders, one by one as they got married and had kids they had to sacrifice their tickets now most of them have kids of an age where they'd like to go but they can't easily get tickets never mind STs. The only reason my son was able to carry on was because I subbed him for a few years through the pre-Pearson times which meant he was able to see us winning the Championship

As far as I can suss out there are thousands out there who'd buy a ST. Sure if we hit bad times a few could drop out likewise with those who already have tickets. We'd still be in a cramped Filbo if someone somewhere hadn't decide to take a chance on us progressing. Sadly Taylor messed it up in the short term but we're back and intending to stay now.

Yeah, the issue is that there are not enough tickets in groups available for friends to watch. The only reason I'm able to go to the home games is because I have a friend who works for Nike that gets me tickets (thank God they're all London based...), otherwise I'd be stuffed.

There are plenty (I'd bet into the tens of thousands) that would love to go to all home games with friends, but have absolutely no hope of achieving it, less so getting a ST in any reasonable timeframe.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 13:46, Webbo said:

It's more expense that worries me. Moving to this stadium nearly ended the club, I don't want an unneeded extension finishing us off. 

It wasn't really the stadium that forced the club into administration, it was a combination of the collapse of ITV digital and the subsequent huge fall in transfer fees in 2002. The business plan was always to sell players if we were relegated. Unfortunately the market rendered uncompetitive most of our players transfer fees and wages, we were stuck with players we couldn't afford. Taylor and Elsom also partly to blame for the silly contracts handed out to many mediocre players.

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 3

On 25/05/2020 at 14:03, Beechey said:

Some food for thought.

Very well stated

On 25/05/2020 at 14:03, Beechey said:

Some food for thought.

Yes there's no doubt it's the perfect time to build when it comes to minimising disruption. But as you allude to, from a financial perspective it's the exact opposite really.

Even if the financial hit this season is not catastrophic, there will be quite a bit of uncertainty regarding the club's revenue for a long time given the situation with crowds, fixtures, even which competitions we will compete in next year.

When you talk about the owners "funding" the project I'm assuming this refers to a loan-with-interest (as was the case with the training ground)...FFP rules aside, I can see why King Power might not be too keen to do that right now, particularly as their business is likely to have been very badly hit.

They might also question whether demand for tickets could be hit for some time due to economic reasons, given we are about to enter the biggest recession in 300 years.

Call me a pessimist but I don't see how the current crisis could do anything but delay the timescale for an expansion. Personally I think they will concentrate on getting the training ground finished, put expansion on ice and then review in the autumn when they know a bit more.

• Like 1

Another consideration is that the economic hit may mean 3 to 4 million unemployed for a year or 2, ideal time to build , horrible time to predict not only football finances but the also the publics disposable cash to afford football amongst other things. That said by the time the stadium has been extended we may be on the road to recovery