Jump to content
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion Progress!

Recommended Posts

I quite like the plans as they are there, a really intricate roof similar to Marsielle's ground would be awesome. Would have loved a two tier Kop but maybe that's one for the future. 

 

The results of the survey done by Legends was due out ages ago IIRC, would be very interested to see them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose one prospect around fans not being able to go to the stadium next season is the potential opportunity to carry out expansion works during this period?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I suppose one prospect around fans not being able to go to the stadium next season is the potential opportunity to carry out expansion works during this period?

They'll need to get the planning app in quickly then because although I'm sure they'll have had talks with the council it wont just be rubber stamped and I'd be amazed if there wasn't some sort of protest group  the likes of Offside up and running who'll find something to complain about to slow it all down.

 

I suspect transport and parking to be a big issue especially as they never ended up complying with the Transport plan attached to the original stadium build plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davieG said:

They'll need to get the planning app in quickly then because although I'm sure they'll have had talks with the council it wont just be rubber stamped and I'd be amazed if there wasn't some sort of protest group  the likes of Offside up and running who'll find something to complain about to slow it all down.

 

I suspect transport and parking to be a big issue especially as they never ended up complying with the Transport plan attached to the original stadium build plans.

yeah i think that's most likely the biggest issue. let's face it, the area around freemans common is a bit of a shitshow for traffic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, davieG said:

They'll need to get the planning app in quickly then because although I'm sure they'll have had talks with the council it wont just be rubber stamped and I'd be amazed if there wasn't some sort of protest group  the likes of Offside up and running who'll find something to complain about to slow it all down.

 

I suspect transport and parking to be a big issue especially as they never ended up complying with the Transport plan attached to the original stadium build plans.

Think the big difference this time will be the financial capacity that the owners can provide to the club and improving the area in the general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Think the big difference this time will be the financial capacity that the owners can provide to the club and improving the area in the general.

Maybe but that wont stop people finding a reason to object and transport is a massive hot potato in that area hence the introduction of Resident Parking Permits which they're still planning to extend. As I understand it they want to put a cycle lane down Saffron lane so that will probably do away with the parking down there near the Athletics Stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plus we have the Ivanhoe line having a feasibility study which may help with traffic in the future....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

plus we have the Ivanhoe line having a feasibility study which may help with traffic in the future....

Knowing how we progress things in this country especially railways that could take up to 15 years to come to be that's if it even gets approved and money is available.

 

We'll probably be talking about the Big 10 by then as the Euro Leagues become more lucrative than the PL.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Out Foxed said:

yeah i think that's most likely the biggest issue. let's face it, the area around freemans common is a bit of a shitshow for traffic 

The whole of Leicester is a shitshow for traffic, its nothing to do with LCFC, More the city councils inability to have a coordinated transport plan since the 1950s!

 

Every time I come to a game, or visit Leicester I spend 1hr or so on the motorway and another 45 minutes queuing around the city. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that the protests didn't stop the building of the kp stadium and i would think would have even less chance of stopping the expansion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isnt Leicester top of the numbers for traffic signals in the UK or some such stat.

Upperton rd and the aylestone rd/fosse park are the only crossing points over soar valley from bulk of the traffic to where the stadium sits.There has to be an argument for altering the sequences on lights etc around a big event always a problem .Have you ever been to the NEC or NIA or Wembley horrendous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a project of this size the club will have had significant discussion with the council, highways and utilities already. Pre-application dialogue is a fundamental part of significant developments, you don't just go into it blind and hope the council like it.

 

Anyone can still object, there will be formal consultations with highways and utilties etc and there will be a host of conditions which will need approving before a single spade goes in the ground.


Given how we have operated as a club in recent years and how much the owners have committed to the community I would be very surprised if this were to get stopped by the planning department because of some NIMBY busy bodies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I would say that the protests didn't stop the building of the kp stadium and i would think would have even less chance of stopping the expansion. 

The protests were about the original planned location of the stadium on Bede Island. I don't remember much opposition to building on Freeman's Wharf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

There’s a big white unidentifiable rectangle in the newer plans that overlooks the new memorial garden. Given how prominent that space is, I’d be very surprised if that wasn't a museum/arena.

An arena could potentially be a great idea if so. Possibly an arena big enough to host some decent bands / other activities would be awesome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much opposition was there to the Tigers Welford Road expansion? I didn't follow that having no interest in rugger but the same transport objections must still be valid (if there were any). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The protests were about the original planned location of the stadium on Bede Island. I don't remember much opposition to building on Freeman's Wharf. 

I think the car showroom objected and some residents due to increased traffic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I would say that the protests didn't stop the building of the kp stadium and i would think would have even less chance of stopping the expansion. 

It's not about stopping it's more to do with delaying. They had a big input into stopping the development of Filbert St and the Bede Island plans and transport / parking is significantly worse now and even more so with an even bigger capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davieG said:

It's not about stopping it's more to do with delaying. They had a big input into stopping the development of Filbert St and the Bede Island plans and transport / parking is significantly worse now and even more so with an even bigger capacity.

I agree but i think the city council will be fully behind this project which will certainly help. The council will come out with park and ride and such things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

For a project of this size the club will have had significant discussion with the council, highways and utilities already. Pre-application dialogue is a fundamental part of significant developments, you don't just go into it blind and hope the council like it.

 

Anyone can still object, there will be formal consultations with highways and utilties etc and there will be a host of conditions which will need approving before a single spade goes in the ground.


Given how we have operated as a club in recent years and how much the owners have committed to the community I would be very surprised if this were to get stopped by the planning department because of some NIMBY busy bodies.

As I said in other posts it's not about stopping it's about delaying and I was responding to @Swan Lesta posts about starting the build whilst playing behind closed doors. In spite of all they've done for the community the club have never fulfilled the transport plans attached to the original stadium build If there opposition that will surely be used against them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I agree but i think the city council will be fully behind this project which will certainly help. The council will come out with park and ride and such things. 

There was one attached to the original stadium build but never happened that wont look good and will bolster any objections. I do agree they wont stop it, it's too important to the City of Leicester and it's prestige building which is what is one of Soulsby's pet things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The whole of Leicester is a shitshow for traffic, its nothing to do with LCFC, More the city councils inability to have a coordinated transport plan since the 1950s!

 

Every time I come to a game, or visit Leicester I spend 1hr or so on the motorway and another 45 minutes queuing around the city. 

Absolutely spot on! In fact, apart from the odd bright spot, Leicester City centre itself is a shit show. The council's invariably politically motivated poncing around over the years has led to a city centre that less and less people want to visit and it's consequently dying on it's arse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

But WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE FOXESTALK BRICK???????????????????

I reckon those two big curves are going to be some sort of decorative wall. Like Arsenals north bank terrace. Probably be moved there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, davieG said:

As I said in other posts it's not about stopping it's about delaying and I was responding to @Swan Lesta posts about starting the build whilst playing behind closed doors. In spite of all they've done for the community the club have never fulfilled the transport plans attached to the original stadium build If there opposition that will surely be used against them.

There isn't that much that can be done in terms of trying to delay, unless you want to appeal the decision on the grounds that the council didn't abide by due process or the secretary of state for housing calls it in for review (which is highly unlikely).

 

And as far as planning policy goes, that the club didn't fulfill the previous transport plan (which without looking into I would imagine there is more to) isn't likely to hold much weight, particularly given the change in ownership.

Edited by ajthefox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

There isn't that much that can be done in terms of trying to delay, unless you want to appeal the decision on the grounds that the council didn't abide by due process or the secretary of state for housing calls it in for review.

 

Unless Frank finds newts....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...