Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

5 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I think there have been a few examples of "over spec'd" stadia recently ... the worst example being the £800 million spent (at the time), for re-doing Wembley.  

I appreciate that some of that money was spent on local infrastructure and not just the stadium, but that's got to rate as the biggest waste of money ever.    For the average football fan, Wembley is absolutely s h i t e.    It's basically been designed around the 17,000 or so corporate hospitality seats.    It's not a football ground; it's an corporate entertainment arena.    Probably good for pop concerts.

I reckon the best example of a stadium revamp was Notts County.   They stuck up 3 new decent stands in the 1992 close season.   Surely the fastest and cheapest ever upgrade.   Sorted!

Notts County basically sold Dean Yates and Craig Short which paid for almost all the redevelopment.

Bargain.

5 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Notts County basically sold Dean Yates and Craig Short which paid for almost all the redevelopment.

Bargain.

Is a shame the visiting team didn’t show enough respect when they opened their new stand. Made poor derek curse. lol 

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Is a shame the visiting team didn’t show enough respect when they opened their new stand. Made poor derek curse. lol 

They gave us a whooping too.....

22 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Is this definitely our new stadium design?

4E0C3F46-D9DD-41A4-AF37-B02D274C34FB.jpeg

We haven’t had any official confirmation either way but apparently this was an old design from a few years ago and the plans have supposedly evolved since then.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 16:06, Finnegan said:

But this is where I come back to my first post and the questions poised, what do Everton think they're going to be hosting? 

Spurs built the most glamorous stadium in the capital city and had a deal to host NFL games in place before it was even finished (or started?) 

Even then I personally think its a white elephant and I never understood the optics at that point but they did have some projected value for the stadium beyond football. 

What's the equivalent for Everton? What major revenue are they hoping to generate with an average sized "large" stadium in Britain's like, whatever it is, sixth biggest urban area? In spitting distance of Old Trafford? 

If you take West Ham as a comparison, since their ground move their match day receipts have gone up £7m+, commercial activities £13m+, retail and merchandise £1.5m. So let's say there is at least a £22m per annum increase in turnover. Perhaps a lot more if they maximise its potential, after all it's custom built and not a bolt on to a ground built for something else entirely. 

Fag packet calculations but it could pay for itself in 10-15 years done well. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

If you take West Ham as a comparison, since their ground move their match day receipts have gone up £7m+, commercial activities £13m+, retail and merchandise £1.5m. So let's say there is at least a £22m per annum increase in turnover. Perhaps a lot more if they maximise its potential, after all it's custom built and not a bolt on to a ground built for something else entirely. 

Fag packet calculations but it could pay for itself in 10-15 years done well. 

Two questions, one which can't be answered using West Ham as an example:

1. What's the additional overheads that come with that, you can't really take additional revenue and look at it in isolation. I assume the running costs, everything from utilities to staffing, goes up when you run a stadium of that size. 

2. Again, though, how much of that benefit is simply because there's X thousand extra bums on seats and a few more executive boxes and function rooms? For the third or fourth time, I'm not suggesting Everton shouldn't build a new stadium, I'm saying it doesn't make sense to spend 500m on one. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

Putting in an extra 8-10,000 seats is only a part of the plan, isn't it? King Power now own enough land to build the arena and hotel etc that has been rumoured from day one. That's surely where the money is going to be made? 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

1. What's the additional overheads that come with that, you can't really take additional revenue and look at it in isolation. I assume the running costs, everything from utilities to staffing, goes up when you run a stadium of that size. 

2. Again, though, how much of that benefit is simply because there's X thousand extra bums on seats and a few more executive boxes and function rooms? For the third or fourth time, I'm not suggesting Everton shouldn't build a new stadium, I'm saying it doesn't make sense to spend 500m on one. 

I suppose it's a case of that's just the going rate if you want to pose as an "elite" club.

Everton have similar ambitions to our own. They'll probably see moving into a new ground as a sign that they want to be seen as a massive club. Right now with the state of Goodison I imagine a lot of potential new fans/investors may be put off? 

Always remember MON used to talk about walking new signings out of the tunnel backwards at Filbert St. I imagine things like that still play a role in players. It's why building the new training ground is a better idea than just beefing up Belvoir drive. Building a reputation and an imagine must be a massive aspect in signing new players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

1. Far outweighed by extra income... especially when you have some loon chucking money left right and centre on dodgy naming rights.

2. I’ve not built a stadium recently so I don’t know what the going rate is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Even if we did have an arena at the king power we'd never get a regular licence for events like music. Too noisy apparently. 

That’s if it was being held in the stadium! That’s why there proposing a purpose built indoor 7,000 capacity arena. Obviously this would be very well sound proofed to eradicate that issue. 

10 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Even if we did have an arena at the king power we'd never get a regular licence for events like music. Too noisy apparently. 

...the Tigers ground had a show at their ground sanctioned by the City Council!!!

No reason  why we could not stage music events at the King Power. 

20 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Hope not 

I've laboured the point several times, but I just can't imagine the family being shown this Cardiffesque on the cheap plan....and then perusing the spurs and Everton designs.....and thinking, 'you know what, let's go with the cardiff'

Everything the family do is top spec

• Like 1