Jump to content

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

  1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

    • Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
      109
    • Hate it, games gone
      236
    • Somewhere in between
      334

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Recommended Posts

Just now, Corky said:

Today again showed that the fans in the ground need better guidance. The checking of the red card for Tielemans was very confusing as nothing untoward appeared to have happened, there were no mass protests from Bournemouth so we waited for 90 seconds/ 2 minutes for a decision. No red card was given and plenty were left none the wiser as to what had occurred, Wilson carried on and we just assumed it was a coming together where one player was worse off then the game continued. The incident wasn't shown afterwards either.

Yep. It was only until I got home and saw some tweets and stuff about it I realised Tielemans had done what he did or was involved to such an extent. 


Because like you say there was nothing untoward, I perhaps thought it might have been a stray elbow somewhere else on the pitch that was being checked. I had no idea it was even Tielemans involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s crap. 

 

This isn’t even on the emotion lines either - take today where you have Vardy’s first goal and you are assuming VAR might rule it out. 

 

Its taken over the conversation about football. This weekend is all about the decisions that have been made with it (or actually without it). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cases where you might actually want VAR (where the referee has had an absolute shocker that needs to be put right) seem not to have used it. If you saw the goal Villa scored and had disallowed, it was probably the worst decision I’ve ever seen.

 

Grealish gets kicked 3 times

Grealish passes to teammate and falls over

Teammate scores

Grealish booked for diving, goal disallowed

 

If VAR has nothing to say on that, then it can keep its technical handballs and its micron-level offsides...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

The cases where you might actually want VAR (where the referee has had an absolute shocker that needs to be put right) seem not to have used it. If you saw the goal Villa scored and had disallowed, it was probably the worst decision I’ve ever seen.

 

Grealish gets kicked 3 times

Grealish passes to teammate and falls over

Teammate scores

Grealish booked for diving, goal disallowed

 

If VAR has nothing to say on that, then it can keep its technical handballs and its micron-level offsides...

The goal technically wasn't disallowed. 

 

Ref blew before the ball had left Lansbury's feet, so play had stopped prior to the goal going in.

Nothing VAR can do and just purely terrible officiating. VAR isn't to blame here 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The goal technically wasn't disallowed. 

 

Ref blew before the ball had left Lansbury's feet, so play had stopped prior to the goal going in.

Nothing VAR can do and just purely terrible officiating. VAR isn't to blame here 

This is the correct comment.

 

I've had enough of people moaning if they do not understand the basic rules of football. Well any sport for that matter.

 

If the Ref blows the whistle play at that point is at a halt.

 

Villa went on to score 3 secounds after the whistle was blew therefore no matter how you look at it it's not a goal and play get bought back to the point of the whistle being blown.

 

Hope villa go down there fans think they are level with Barcelona 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

This is the correct comment.

 

I've had enough of people moaning if they do not understand the basic rules of football. Well any sport for that matter.

 

If the Ref blows the whistle play at that point is at a halt.

 

Villa went on to score 3 secounds after the whistle was blew therefore no matter how you look at it it's not a goal and play get bought back to the point of the whistle being blown.

 

Hope villa go down there fans think they are level with Barcelona 

VAR has its issues and is an issue in a few games.

But 

It needs to stop being the scapegoat for frankly amateur refereeing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

This is the correct comment.

 

I've had enough of people moaning if they do not understand the basic rules of football. Well any sport for that matter.

 

If the Ref blows the whistle play at that point is at a halt.

 

Villa went on to score 3 secounds after the whistle was blew therefore no matter how you look at it it's not a goal and play get bought back to the point of the whistle being blown.

 

Hope villa go down there fans think they are level with Barcelona 

Sweetheart, please. By that rationale please learn the rules of English before you try to write it.

 

There wasn’t clarity on whether he blew the whistle-Palace certainly didn’t stop playing. But, if he did blow the whistle, then VAR should have responded by highlighting that it was a penalty. Which would have been particularly brilliant as VAR can’t overturn yellows, and Friend would have had to give a penalty having already booked Grealish for diving 😂 

 

(More generally, this was an illustration not that VAR was ‘wrong’, but that if it can’t act in that situation then the rules that currently surround it render it not fit for purpose, which was my initial point...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

VAR has gone soft and using the excuse that it's not clear and obvious. It'll take time but eventually it'll work well.

 

FTR I think Tielemans should have been booked - so not a red - as should the Bournemouth foul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FIF said:

VAR has gone soft and using the excuse that it's not clear and obvious. It'll take time but eventually it'll work well.

 

FTR I think Tielemans should have been booked - so not a red - as should the Bournemouth foul.

It's a strange rule that VAR can award a red, but not a yellow in an instance where the referee hasn't given it - such as Tielemans' incident.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

VAR has exposed just how bad the standard of refereeing is in this country.

Especially when they are watching tv screens and still miss Haydens handball. Bloody useless.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really don't see the point of VAR. How on earth it didn't give a penalty at West Ham or either one of Tielemans or Lerma weren't sent off I do not know. Seems like you have to literally two foot someone in the box and the ref not give it. Spoiling the game for absolutely no reason. They should just have one or two replays, like you get on the TV, if you can't make your mind up after that it's not clear an obvious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Really don't see the point of VAR. How on earth it didn't give a penalty at West Ham or either one of Tielemans or Lerma weren't sent off I do not know. Seems like you have to literally two foot someone in the box and the ref not give it. Spoiling the game for absolutely no reason. They should just have one or two replays, like you get on the TV, if you can't make your mind up after that it's not clear an obvious. 

At the moment the level the intervention is willing to come in at is too high. 

They're leaving to many wrong decisions.

I'm all for leaving in the sceptical or subjective ones, but the down right wrong ones of West Hams non-penalty and the Silva one last week are prime examples.

 

For me YT wasn't a red, he isn't looking at the player at all and is shielding the ball. It's unfortunate, 100%, but same could be said for Lerma who went over the ball and into Evans 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

At the moment the level the intervention is willing to come in at is too high. 

They're leaving to many wrong decisions.

I'm all for leaving in the sceptical or subjective ones, but the down right wrong ones of West Hams non-penalty and the Silva one last week are prime examples.

 

For me YT wasn't a red, he isn't looking at the player at all and is shielding the ball. It's unfortunate, 100%, but same could be said for Lerma who went over the ball and into Evans 

Precisely.

Both relatively minor non-malicious incidents that will occur in every game worldwide.

 

Tielemans is simply putting his body across the ball which happens to involve his foot returning to the ground.

 

It’s a standard movement, which is supported by the fact that virtually no one in the stadium responded.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

There wasn’t clarity on whether he blew the whistle-Palace certainly didn’t stop playing. But, if he did blow the whistle, then VAR should have responded by highlighting that it was a penalty. Which would have been particularly brilliant as VAR can’t overturn yellows, and Friend would have had to give a penalty having already booked Grealish for diving 😂 

It's the dying minutes of a game, whistle blown or not, Palace are defending their goal to the death. How many times have you heard a fake whistle going in the crowd? 

 

For me it wasn't a penalty, wasn't a huge amount of contact and Grealish lost his balance and wasn't appealing for a penalty and simply playing the ball. Mistake from the ref. 

 

VAR can't do anything in that situation as the whistle has gone. I'm hoping in the international week we get the refs and the FA reviewing performances and changing how they apply and VAR 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UniFox21 said:

It's the dying minutes of a game, whistle blown or not, Palace are defending their goal to the death. How many times have you heard a fake whistle going in the crowd? 

 

For me it wasn't a penalty, wasn't a huge amount of contact and Grealish lost his balance and wasn't appealing for a penalty and simply playing the ball. Mistake from the ref. 

 

VAR can't do anything in that situation as the whistle has gone. I'm hoping in the international week we get the refs and the FA reviewing performances and changing how they apply and VAR 

For that to happen they’d need to completely change the refereeing culture that has manifested over the years. 

 

Im pretty sure we’re the only country to use this interpretation of VAR. Every other league uses monitors and/or refs telling their colleagues ‘hey you made a mistake’. Seemingly not here though because apparently our refs never make mistakes.

 

I think the managing body in charge of prem refs believe they’re the best in the world (which is why they deemed us superior to every other interpretation of VAR and decided to do their own take on it), when in fact, they’re nowhere near. 

 

The best thing they could do is release a statement saying they’ve messed up the implementation, but will they do that? No, instead they’ll put something out saying how well it’s gone...

 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1319816

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

For that to happen they’d need to completely change the refereeing culture that has manifested over the years. 

 

Im pretty sure we’re the only country to use this interpretation of VAR. Every other league uses monitors and/or refs telling their colleagues ‘hey you made a mistake’. Seemingly not here though because apparently our refs never make mistakes.

 

I think the managing body in charge of prem refs believe they’re the best in the world (which is why they deemed us superior to every other interpretation of VAR and decided to do their own take on it), when in fact, they’re nowhere near. 

 

The best thing they could do is release a statement saying they’ve messed up the implementation, but will they do that? No, instead they’ll put something out saying how well it’s gone...

 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1319816

They won't admit they're wrong for sure.

 

But I want them to reflect on the opening 4 games of the season and look at how they've performed and make changes to how they operate. 

 

I want refs on the pitch to still have control, but get rid of the clear and obvious thing, its a nice idea to keep the subjectivity in football but it's not working brilliantly rn.

Let's hope thet learn from their mistakes

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

 

Sweetheart, please. By that rationale please learn the rules of English before you try to write it.

 

There wasn’t clarity on whether he blew the whistle-Palace certainly didn’t stop playing. But, if he did blow the whistle, then VAR should have responded by highlighting that it was a penalty. Which would have been particularly brilliant as VAR can’t overturn yellows, and Friend would have had to give a penalty having already booked Grealish for diving 😂 

 

(More generally, this was an illustration not that VAR was ‘wrong’, but that if it can’t act in that situation then the rules that currently surround it render it not fit for purpose, which was my initial point...)

Honey please understand the difference between writing and typing.

 

However we all have faults 

Edited by Fox85
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I see the threat of VAR did not stop Aubameyang diving in the Spuds box a few minutes ago. 

 

With all the close scrutiny of the game, you’d think players would have a bit of shame about things like that. Obviously not. 

When did he dive?

If you're referring to the arm across him by Sanchez, then its not a foul but was enough to knock you off balance and fall 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I’ll beg to differ. I don’t agree that arm would knock someone off balance. 

 

He he was looking for a penalty. 

There was contact and you can argue if you don't see the contact whilst moving you can go down. 

 

Not a dive

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...