Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

Recommended Posts

With Rodgers using more central attacking midfielders and less wingers on a regular basis, his opportunities will likely to be limited, anyway.

 

I don't see Rodgers changing much about this 4-2-3-1 in the near future.

 

So, either Gray accepts a bench role (coming on if more width is needed), or he leaves on loan to get the match practice that he deserves.

There's a good player in there, we just haven't seen that much of it lately.

Edited by MC Prussian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2019 at 16:08, Tuna said:

He'll probably get the Newcastle game to try and impress.

 

Here lies (one of) the problem for Gray. He will try far too hard to impress. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On his early displays I’m not yet sure Perez is a significantly better option than Gray? I know he needs time to settle, but at least Gray looks like he might do something! I hope he finds his feet sooner rather than later - because Mark and Harvey will rightly be feeling like they deserve a chance to start.

 

I genuinely feel that Gray has great ability and I think dropping him is part of Brendan’s master-plan to get the best out of him! Perhaps I’m posting more in hope than expectation, but a little optimism isn’t a bad thing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AylestoneRaider said:

On his early displays I’m not yet sure Perez is a significantly better option than Gray? I know he needs time to settle, but at least Gray looks like he might do something! I hope he finds his feet sooner rather than later - because Mark and Harvey will rightly be feeling like they deserve a chance to start.

 

I genuinely feel that Gray has great ability and I think dropping him is part of Brendan’s master-plan to get the best out of him! Perhaps I’m posting more in hope than expectation, but a little optimism isn’t a bad thing!

He was leading scorer at Newcastle last season. He most definitely is an upgrade. Just need to work out how best to use him. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2019 at 17:29, rachhere said:

He was leading scorer at Newcastle last season. He most definitely is an upgrade. Just need to work out how best to use him. 

he wasn't playing right wing last season he was playing in behind Rondon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

he wasn't playing right wing last season he was playing in behind Rondon

Which is when he started scoring the majority of his goals according to Newcastle fans commenting that in the centre was by far his most comfortable and effective position as opposed to out on the right wing where, whilst he was industrious, he was by and large ineffective . However, certain posters on here didn't think that correct. I was going purely upon what I read on the Newcastle forum as opposed to personal knowledge. My opinion was that him on the right and Maddison on the left nullified both their strengths and it merely appeared as a way to shoe them into the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

he wasn't playing right wing last season he was playing in behind Rondon

Sigh... actually he scored the vast majority of goals from the right. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2019 at 10:29, rachhere said:

He was leading scorer at Newcastle last season. He most definitely is an upgrade. Just need to work out how best to use him. 

I'm sure Rodgers is aware that both Maddison & Perez are both are better in certain positions and we will a few different permutations when Praet is included

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Which is when he started scoring the majority of his goals according to Newcastle fans commenting that in the centre was by far his most comfortable and effective position as opposed to out on the right wing where, whilst he was industrious, he was by and large ineffective . However, certain posters on here didn't think that correct. I was going purely upon what I read on the Newcastle forum as opposed to personal knowledge. My opinion was that him on the right and Maddison on the left nullified both their strengths and it merely appeared as a way to shoe them into the team.

All the stats completely contradict that I’m afraid so do lots of Newcastle fans on their forums who all said (which backs up the stats) that his purple patch was when the played on the right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ayoze-perez/leistungsdaten/spieler/246968

 

According to this he scored 11 of his 13 league goals when deployed on the right wing, only got 2 as a 2nd striker. I think a lot of the upturn was when Almiron came in and they had another creative outlet to allow Perez to roam.

yes but whilst Maddison is on our other wing he cannot roam for us or he, Vardy and Maddison will be trading on each others toes.

 

also that site, like Wikipedia can be edited by just about anyone so don't take it as absolute fact

Edited by Jimmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

yes but whilst Maddison is on our other wing he cannot roam for us or he, Vardy and Maddison will be trading on each others toes.

 

also that site, like Wikipedia can be edited by just about anyone so don't take it as absolute fact

The stats are are right, they were across pretty reputable stat sites like whoscored. His heat maps and positioning for individual games are all still on there. He played right and drifted inside to support, which is what Rodgers wants and where he got a lot of joy for them. 

 

They did play play on the counter a lot though, so how effective he will be without the space to drive into and with packed defences we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The stats are are right, they were across pretty reputable stat sites like whoscored. His heat maps and positioning for individual games are all still on there. He played right and drifted inside to support, which is what Rodgers wants and where he got a lot of joy for them. 

 

They did play play on the counter a lot though, so how effective he will be without the space to drive into and with packed defences we shall see.

that may well work here too but not if Maddison is doing the same on the other wing, someone needs to stay wide to create space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

that may well work here too but not if Maddison is doing the same on the other wing, someone needs to stay wide to create space

I agree, Maddison and Perez in a 4-3-3 isn't for me. Get Barnes in

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Babylon said:

All the stats completely contradict that I’m afraid so do lots of Newcastle fans on their forums who all said (which backs up the stats) that his purple patch was when the played on the right.

As I said, I purely went on what I read on their site just after we bought him to gauge their thoughts. They seemed to suggest that Rafa moved him inside more towards the second half of the season whereupon he had more success. I took it as read and couldn't say when and who against he scored his goals so I accept what you say if that's what you've done 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree, Maddison and Perez in a 4-3-3 isn't for me. Get Barnes in

I agree. We’ve played our best as far as I can see with a number 4, number 8 and number 10 as the three in midfield; with two wingers and a striker ahead of them. 

 

I wish we’d experiment more with 3 at the back as well, but it seems to be written into every manager’s contract that this is forbidden since the Great Escape!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Perez will come good, Gray on the other hand, maybe getting dropped will make him realise time is running out for him here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AylestoneRaider said:

I agree. We’ve played our best as far as I can see with a number 4, number 8 and number 10 as the three in midfield; with two wingers and a striker ahead of them. 

 

I wish we’d experiment more with 3 at the back as well, but it seems to be written into every manager’s contract that this is forbidden since the Great Escape!

Personally,  unlike the great escape,  and like the current England team, I don't think we're that weak at the back to need 3, it would be a waste of a place for a more mobile midfielder or winger or other attacking option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As stated elsewhere, this is the sh*t or bust season for Gray. He must

  • train his way into the first XI
  • play well in the first XI
  • show guile and consistency 

else he he is done in my opinion, and rightly so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

given we have the league cup game at Newcastle soon, im sure Gray will start that and has to play well to force his way back into the matchday squad

its certainly the kick up the arse hes needed tbh as hes shown promise but hasnt delivered on it enough

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

that may well work here too but not if Maddison is doing the same on the other wing, someone needs to stay wide to create space

Which is what the full backs are meant to do in that formation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I reckon Gray gets sold in January. 

 

 

I was just sat here thinking the same Stan, someone at or near bottom of the table ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...