5 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Consistency (as always) is all we want to see, at a good level of assists and goals. In the case of Perez, in particular, he needs to be a little stronger on the ball and in the tackle. With Maddison, Barnes, Praet and Ünder all injured, if he doesn’t deliver now, his chances will dwindle somewhat. On the flip side, if he performs consistently over the next 10 games, what a great time to stake a claim for an international call up!

Does he qualify for Faroe Islands, is their usual striker injured? 🤣

8 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

The thing is though, it’s not just a ‘one swallow doesn’t make a summer’ type situation. 

Perez’s link up play and overall contribution has always been that good but our fans have just been blinkered by the fact that he hasn’t added enough goals or assists this season.

But he’s never been a poor or bad player. In fact, I’d argue he’s consistently decent but just not been effective in terms of turning that into goal contributions. A bit like those two blokes we all love - Okazaki and Albrighton. 

....I would say that he is probably very happy to be in a position which allows him to link with other players!!!

Not easy to do that out wide and he was always viewed as someone brought in to get us goals or have a part in their creation. We can all see now from the wing he is ineffective in producing those things and being eased off the ball so easily did not help his cause.

He has linked up well with Ricardo when he is brought inside, and his one touch lay offs to a flying Ricardo last season only went to prove he was better centrally. The fact that we continued to play him wide is an argument and a question for Rodgers and his physicality is not so much of a problem in that position.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Appears he was playing with an injury until eventually it caught up with him 

What, ever since he signed?!

He’s been powderpuff on too many occasions for me to feel that he’ll ever be more than a decent squad player for us. A good performance against the worst side we’ve played since we came back up isn’t going to change that.

The fact his last three premier league goals are against Sheffield United speaks volumes. That’s how infrequently he’s having an impact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're all squad players as they come in and out of form or fitness. I have been a huge critic of Perez but after his last game, I have some real hopes for the guy.

Let's hope he builds on that.

On 15/03/2021 at 12:19, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I think that's the best position for him and gives him the best chance to shine. His technical ability can thrive there. And his absence of pace and strength isn't so exposed. But as others have said. He needs to back that up a few more times, before I'll be convinced we weren't fleeced by NUFC. 

he is much better centrally, when he can turn either way. On the flanks defenders just show him the outside knowing he will struggle to exploit it.

On 15/03/2021 at 14:27, funkyrobot said:

For me he is our 1 true alternative option to Maddison, working best between the lines. Although they have a slightly different skill set they should be effectively in competition with each other to play the role behind the striker or strikers. That’s his best role in the team IMO and it’s when he’s asked to do something that he’s not built for that he gets stick from fans. He has bags of quality, is a great finisher and he tackles back but he’s not got the pace to play wide or the strength to be a main striker. It’s great that we have two people that can play the role as well as Praet who can also do a job there amongst other positions in midfield. 

I agree. I think Ayoze is most important as cover for Madders, and it works well (at least partly) because they are similar, in that neither have strength or pace, and they are both good on the turn as long as they can avoid getting flattened. That means we don't need to change much when we swap them out.

Madders has a wider range of skills but Perez is generally better at pressing and stealing the ball (as we saw against sorry Sheffield). Having said that BR did criticise Ayoze earlier in the season for not working as hard as Brendan saw fit, and he is probably right that without the high workrate AP is not the same player.

I guess if we had paid £10 million quid less people would be more understanding.

• Like 1
On 16/03/2021 at 00:55, UpTheLeagueFox said:

This continues to be the #PraiseThroughGrittedTeeth thread right now.

Scenes on here when Perez was highlighted on MoTD, I couldn't stop laughing the whole way through. :thumbup:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Every club needs decent squad players and Perez is one.

Mendy is another one. And Amartey. Fuchs has been too, the past couple of years. Morgan also.

You don't want them starting often but the kind of players we need now and again across a long, tough season.

We're not the kind of club to be able to have two elite players for every position.

PS People say about Marc Albrighton: "We need an upgrade on him to take us to the next level." when he's a more than decent squad player who never lets us down.

the reason people say that about Albrighton is because he still ends up starting too many games for a squad player

On 16/03/2021 at 13:25, winteriscoming said:

The problem with Perez is he plays well in maybe 2/3 games a season. As was the case last season. Same this season. You really should be expecting more from a player that cost 30m. He’s not quick, is lightweight and at times his distribution is poor. As I stated he played well against Sheffield Utd but I’m afraid that’s his level. In the next 10 games if he performs like Sunday then I stand corrected. Unfortunately I can’t see it happening. 

But it was our club that paid £30mil..

So then should question  the club's investment policies..and not put the players under the false expectations..

Plus I agree at the moment he seems to be somewhat lightweight...but I actually don't think he deserves the routine heavy criticism he gets from this forum.. I reckon he's more than adequate and not so poor as some make out..

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

But it was our club that paid £30mil..

So then should question  the club's investment policies..and not put the players under the false expectations..

Plus I agree at the moment he seems to be somewhat lightweight...but I actually don't think he deserves the routine heavy criticism he gets from this forum.. I reckon he's more than adequate and not so poor as some make out..

Yes I would question the club paying that much for him. However I would say again for a player whose played regularly in the PL for the last 3/4 seasons he’s not produced. I think in the PL and with where we are atm being more than adequate isn’t good enough. 

There is a decent player in Aoyze, it just rears it’s head too infrequently. That must have more to do with mindset than anything else. 

If he can do it on a couple of occasions then he can do it. Whatever hampers him is the job of the staff to figure out and iron out. 

Edited by ARM1968
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Spiritwalker said:

I like Perez and think that he’s been overly criticised on here, but it’s worth remembering that his last

performance was against woeful opposition.

Hmm, I think you're the first one to make that point :dunno:

In all seriousness though, we've played several woeful teams this season and this was our most convincing performance against such a team. So yes, they were poor, but Perez & Co. took advantage of that with a pretty ruthless and dominant display.