28 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I was addressing the point that someone said he was not physical and will be pushed aside which is, objectively, untrue. I made no comment on the merits of physicality vs technicality merely that the statement regarding his lack of physicality/effort is demonstrably untrue. I for one never expected Mahrez to track back. X 

No it's not.  Actually, he is lightweight and easily dispossessed.  He is our third most dispossessed player behind Maddison and Ricardo but has played a lot less minutes and is proportionally our most dispossessed player by a distance.  He was known for being lightweight before he came here.  However, you're right that he is good at winning the ball and so has the curious ability of being good at winning the ball yet relaltively easily dispossessed when he has it.

38 minutes ago, murphy said:

No it's not.  Actually, he is lightweight and easily dispossessed.  He is our third most dispossessed player behind Maddison and Ricardo but has played a lot less minutes and is proportionally our most dispossessed player by a distance.  He was known for being lightweight before he came here.  However, you're right that he is good at winning the ball and so has the curious ability of being good at winning the ball yet relaltively easily dispossessed when he has it.

Interesting stats thanks, will have a look. The dispossessed stat is interesting and you make a good point about fewer minutes. Conversely those fewer minutes make his tackling numbers even more impressive. I like him but I certainly understand some fan's concerns. I think he will be an important player for us this season and everything in his history suggests that when he does finally score he may go on a streak. When minutes played are factored in he is also third in the attempted dribble stats (behind Maddison and Ricardo) so it would maybe make sense he is also third in the dispossessed stats (behind the same two players). I dunno, I like him and think he's had a steady, if not remarkable, start. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 4

He is a good player in the wrong team ,we needed a powerful backup striker , in fact Rondon would have been ideal. I hope he proves me wrong but no goals in nine games is not great.

10 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is a good player in the wrong team ,we needed a powerful backup striker , in fact Rondon would have been ideal. I hope he proves me wrong but no goals in nine games is not great.

azNccQo.png.be92301b0cbea70ec978980e7bca9832.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Walshie is God said:

He needs a break

You serious?

Its October and hes just had 2 weeks off

Yet another 5/10 performance.

Grossly unfair that he occupies a spot when far far better players in Gray, Albrighton, Barnes, Choudhury and, staggeringly, Praet, have to take turns to  accomodate him

• Like 1

I still think he is going to come good but it's been an underwhelming start to say the least.

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yet another 5/10 performance.

Grossly unfair that he occupies a spot when far far better players in Gray, Albrighton, Barnes, Choudhury and, staggeringly, Praet, have to take turns to  accomodate him

When we play Choudhury instead though it’s normally in order to play him and Ndidi with Maddison playing more wide which most people on here slate and I do agree it’s a bit negative and Likewise Praet isn’t really a winger, mind you I don’t think Perez really is either but that’s another matter.

Id say he’s competing with Albrighton and Gray, really, Gray is another one who gets stick for being poor, I’m not a fan of Perez playing out wide but can see how he’s managed to stay in the team, Gray surely you’d imagine should get the nod after today though.

He shows glimpses of promise. I don’t know what it is with wingers/wide men, but across the premiership they consistently struggle to settle when moving to a new team. I have hope that he will come good still. 

3 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

There's been a pattern emerging for some time now, whereby a winger who has a definite impact after coming on as a sub gets start, only to look a bit shit, and is then replaced by another winger who has a definite impact. We seem to have plenty of wingers good enough to take advantage of a tiring team, but not one good enough to boss the same team for the first 60 minutes.

Yeah totally agree, none of them can make the spot their own! Wouldn’t be surprised if next match Gray starts only to be replaced at 60 minutes. 

There’s a real argument to say we should play 442 diamond with Barnes up top and Praet coming in. Barnes up top sounds ridiculous but we actually did that against Spurs for a bit. Barnes drifts in and out of games but he has a touch of magic about him. His goal against Sheffield United and today the way he beat his man and crossed to Vardy being good examples. 

The thing with Perez is even he’s also lacklustre, who else could we have got? This season Sarr for Watford and Iwobi for Arsenal are the only ones that come to mind and they are no better / worse IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GorlestonFox said:

He's not a winger. 

This is basically the crux of the matter. Not sure what position he played for Newcastle, but doesn't look comfortable on the wing. Much rather have Albrighton on the RW. 

Doesnt seem to have a clue where he is playing. Looks lost and usually ends up in the way of someone else. Albrighton should be playing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

He will be highly criticised after today’s performance and as he’s now had 10 or so games it’s hard to defend him, especially when Gray made a bigger impact when he came on. 

That said he does do some things well. He linked up play with midfield and Ricardo well in the first half. He also is very astute positionally when we are defending even if he had two dreadful clearances. For example he stand and maintains shape very well when running the high press.

But he’s a big money signing and his contribution in the final third is lacklustre at best. Take his skewed shot out of the debate for one second - more concerning for me is that he doesn’t make enough runs into the box to get onto chances. Ricardo is more of an attacking influence and he should be playing 1-2’s so he can get into a shooting opportunity. 

Every player needs time to settle but it’s hard to justify him starting ahead of Albrighton or Gray based on current form. Right wing remains the position where we could most benefit from a truly class player. 

I agree with most of this, but I think it's unfair to consider him a "big money signing". £30 million is not that much for a PL > PL signing. Also, I'd only really consider Albrighton over him, Gray has shat the bed every time he's started for Rodgers, I'd need to see a lot more good performance from the bench to want him starting again. 

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 2

If he'd have put that chance away today all would be forgiven. He just desperately needs a goal.

• Like 1

He started brightly today and the two clearances aside he had a good first half for me..and linked up and created with some superb one touch stuff with Ricardo and Youri, they looked dangerous down the right.

Everyone will remeber the hacked clearances but these happen.. he was snatching trying to do the right thing in clearing the danger.. plenty of others int he game.. Evans got lucky, Kasper almost miss controlled in his own net. Hes a decent player settling in and giving 6 to 7/10s so give him time. Fans have been on Youris back for weeks... today he was superb.

Im a fan of Perez.. but hes a squad player not the spine of the squad who play 90 week in week out.

Perez needs to be understudy to Vardy, there is still lots he can learn from Vardy, but I think this is really what he really is, not a winger.