2 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

Perez is definitely better on the right than he is up top. I thought he was ok today, but I thought Mark offered more heading in both directions when he came . Would’ve preferred to see Mark start with Under coming off the bench, but it worked ok today 

What worked?  We were held to a draw and couldn't score.

2 minutes ago, Hales said:

He may be our player that goes this summer? 

Who would buy him? Back to Newcastle, or la Liga? Can't see a top 10 side wanting him. If the fee would be low it's probably worth keeping as squad depth 

29 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Said since he came, he is another player who doesn't have a nailed on position. Ends up being a stop gap here and there and doesn't offer enough consistently. Very odd player. 

No one can argue tho the fact we paid 30m is simply not value for money at all. He does work hard, he's not lazy but hasn't offered enough end product

Sums it up for me. 

Hope he turns into a goal or assist beast though as we need him too. He has limited value right now compared to what we paid for him. 

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fox said:

Exactly this. He's not a bad player, but if you want CL football you have to look at him in terms of what he doesn't offer.

He's taking up space in a forward line that needs a lot more danger than he offers.

He's bringing down the average.

I've run quickly in my head through Jack Charlton, Calvin Palmer and a few others . I don't want to type rashly and I try to be honest. He is a bad player by PL standards .In fact the gap between him and the rest of our team might be the biggest gap I ever remember seeing in a professional football team. And thats with iheanacho playing.

Sorry nacho , you are improving and might make it . Just remember selfishness is as bad for the team as not working hard enough.

Edited by Alan Frost

He is an ok player, he isnt lazy, and to be honest is probably why he gets so many starts, his work rate and commitment in Trg must impress BR.

However, as many have pointed out on here, he is not living upto the price tag, or delivering what is expected from it, especially for a club like ours. So as a result is a target for criticism, and have to say, sometimes, self inflicted by him, loses  the ball too easy, too slow, and not really on the same wavelength. He seems like a Decent lad, and would love for him to produce the goods, not sure what the answer is but he isn't.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Who would buy him? Back to Newcastle, or la Liga? Can't see a top 10 side wanting him. If the fee would be low it's probably worth keeping as squad depth 

Average championship player at best. Can't believe Brendan sanctioned this. He scored against us for newcastle apart from that he's never been on the radar.

I think in the space of 15 mins between 10 - 25 mins he gave it away 7 times in a row. Ran into traffic, stumbled or just passed it to Wolves. This is FACT as I was counting. I'm not a fan of his, so am biased. But I'm my opinion he's proper bobbins and is in fact getting worse. On current trajectory, he's showing Demarai Gray levels of football decision making. 

I'm out of patience now. Particulatly when Under or Sharkey offer more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, murphy said:

The fact that you have to point out a moment where he actually managed a routine pass to a team mate as a highlight is actually quite damning evidence of the paucity of  his contribution

I counted two, one where Maddison stopped the move that Perez was returning him the pass he had received and another where Riccy did the same.

Very few were without fault today, yes Ayoze was not good, but that applied to several others, but they rarely get lambasted with such vigour.

It has clearly become more than per game assessment for some which is a bit of a shame.

28 minutes ago, deep blue said:

What worked?  We were held to a draw and couldn't score.

We created chances to win the game and we weren’t to exposed down the left. Like I say, it worked ok - it didn’t work well, but I don’t think we were terrible. I thought we deserved to nick the win, which would have been a v good result. As it was we took a solid point.

It seems that some of you don't read very carefully, or don't bother to read at all. No @Parafox, I am no 'fan' of his, I just am of the opinion that the slagging of him is OTT. I've said several times TODAY that I recognise his shortcomings, but nobody wants to hear something like that from me.

He's either got to be peak Mahrez or he's barely non-league standard. The truth is neither of those things are the case. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I counted two, one where Maddison stopped the move that Perez was returning him the pass he had received and another where Riccy did the same.

Very few were without fault today, yes Ayoze was not good, but that applied to several others, but they rarely get lambasted with such vigour.

It has clearly become more than per game assessment for some which is a bit of a shame.

Maddison has six goals and six assists for us and is capable of creating magic to win us games, Perez has one goal and zero assists in fifteen hours and herein lies your explanation.  Anybody can have a bad game, with Perez, it seems that every game is a bad game.  You're right it isn't a 'per game assessment', it is a continuing theme.

You were quite vocal in the match thread trying to defend Perez and i do wonder what you are seeing that I am missing.  In my honest opinion, I think that his defenders simply want to be seen as being above the level of the baying mob, which in itself seems a little disingenuous.  I apologise if I'm wrong, I just can't think of another explanation.

You called it a witch hunt in the match thread.  I think that a great many of us are frustrated at seeing an obvious weak link that isn't being addressed and as long as that continues, the criticism will continue I fear.  

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, murphy said:

Maddison has six goals and six assists for us and capable of creating magic to win us games, Perez has one goal and zero assists in ten hours and herein lies your explanation.  Anybody can have a bad game, with Perez, every game is a bad game.

You were quite vocal in the match thread trying to defend Perez and i do wonder what you are seeing that I am missing.  In my honest opinion, I think that his defenders simply want to be seen as being above the level of the baying mob, which in itself seems a little disingenuous.  I apologise if I'm wrong, I just can't think of another explanation.

You called it a witch hunt in the match thread.  I think that a great many of us are frustrated at seeing an obvious weak link that isn't being addressed and as long as that continues, the criticism will continue I fear.  

A reasoned post and I thank  you for that and I certainly do not want to seem a contrarian for the sake of it (I have stated several times previously that it was a strange signing in my opinion, and one where I saw no obvious place for him). My desire to see him play as a more Firmino role is all recorded, and after Leeds I think that may prove I was incorrect and he could be beyond salvation....

However,  he seems to get short shrift every time he plays, he is from minute one cursed to be a waste, 30m wasted, needs selling, all words reserved for a thing irredeemable. He is never given a chance for retribution, always ridiculed for each thing negative, never praised for any positive thing.

Today he did a few things well, he hustled, he kept the ball in tight spaces he linked with a few passes, that didn’t get picked up.

Finally, it’s a forum, people see what they like, and it is naysayers versus cheerleaders like in every topic, each will  see the slant they expect  to see.

anyhow, have a good evening. :thumbup:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Vazman said:

He is an ok player, he isnt lazy, and to be honest is probably why he gets so many starts, his work rate and commitment in Trg must impress BR.

However, as many have pointed out on here, he is not living upto the price tag, or delivering what is expected from it, especially for a club like ours. So as a result is a target for criticism, and have to say, sometimes, self inflicted by him, loses  the ball too easy, too slow, and not really on the same wavelength. He seems like a Decent lad, and would love for him to produce the goods, not sure what the answer is but he isn't.

I think your right, it’s that work rate that is keeping him in the first team. He’s a frustrating watch at the moment I’ve got to be honest. 

• Like 1

I like Perez but he always tends to be far too central for me and runs into traffic. I think he needs to take up better positions out wide to give him time on the ball and space as Barnes does on the other side.