urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

Watched the brighton game on TVT Turkish and they just called him 'Charlewaas' as best I can describe no second name ever mentioned .Think they liked him!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

He'll be better. 

He already is, Van Dick as an overrated mule, Cag is quicker (by miles) more skillful (my miles) and far far more agile, have seen milk turn quicker than V V D !! he would not get into our team.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mad biker said:

He already is, Van Dick as an overrated mule, Cag is quicker (by miles) more skillful (my miles) and far far more agile, have seen milk turn quicker than V V D !! he would not get into our team.

How you spelling Maguire again? V............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad biker said:

I dont fully agree nor do I disagree with what you're saying. 

If he played for liverpool doing for them what he does for us, they'd be making similar suggestions. 

2 hours ago, dynamark said:

Watched the brighton game on TVT Turkish and they just called him 'Charlewaas' as best I can describe no second name ever mentioned .Think they liked him!

I sometimes watch that channel. I think it must be first name for  all Turkish players. When we played  Arsenal they referred to Ozil as Mesut.

3 hours ago, JoJo said:

Not a brother, but his teammate in the national team (Merih Demiral) would be a great replacement for the aging Johnny Evans. He doesnt get many chances bec Sari doesnt like him for whatever reason, but he already has a good chemistry with Caglar and is not that expensive (30m) and is 21y old 

Watched Turkey v Iceland, a team like the old Stoke, and he played well making one great goal line clearance.

• Like 1

As if today wasnt good enough already , Cags puts in a bombscare of a 2nd half performance to ward off any potential suitors. Lovely stuff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am not sure which is the more appropriate thread to post this.  It is more about our defence generally.

I just watched the ManU vs ManCity game.  Geeze our defence is so much better than ManU's.  They were not bad but collectively our defence seems to have that ability to close down the whole opposition team and is better able to stifle the opposition attack before a good ball can be put into the box, whereas ManU had to keep withstanding waves of attack by defending in numbers in the box. 

I think this started with Puel (and Rodgers has fine tuned it), but we did look leaky and having watched ManU with Maguire it does to me confirm my suspicion that this has to do with Maguire.  He is a good header of the ball and is solid but he is nonetheless slow and often leaves a gap - certainly he is not great in filling in gaps left by teammates.  Compare that with Evans and Soyuncu, they are both good readers of the game and Soy in particular is very quick.  So for example, if Evans has to go up a little to close down someone about to shoot from distance, Soy would be able to very quickly fill in the gap left by Evans especially if the ball then gets passed down into the gap (usually it is the other way around though with Evans being the cover though).  On the other hand, Maguire, being slower, he knows he cannot fill in the gap and would instead retreat backwards in an attempt to cover a broader area instead of being on the attack to close down the gap.  It is hard to describe in a written post but I am sure you know what I mean.  

Also, you don't see Maguire charging forward to tackle like Soyuncu does.  When Soy does this, he is pretty accurate normally but if he fails, Soy would often be quick enough to recover while Evans, being a great reader of the game, would often be there to provide cover.  Maguire cannot do either as well.  This means the ManU backline often has to keep retreating and invites the ball into the box (just like what we used to do more when Maguire was here) - and then hope their defenders and the keeper can deal with the ball.  I do not know if you noticed, but Kasper has a lot less to do this season inside the box partly because of this.  And this is why it feels like we can often keep clean sheets (we do have a super Ndidi as well).  Last year, we kept having to watch balls getting into the box and us fans often had to feel quite nervous - we did have good defenders so we can deal with them 80% of the times (making the defenders look better ... and hence why we managed to con someone to pay 80m for Maguire ...) but at this level the 20% was enough to make us concede early or late goals ...  

In sum, Maguire is overrated and we are really lucky to have Evans and Soyuncu. 

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 3