urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

On 11/12/2019 at 23:45, Redbeard said:

Thank you very much, mate. I am trying to improve myself. 

Welcome. If you really want to integrate with the Lestah folk, instead of using 'mate', try m'duck  (pronounced miduck) instead. Means the same - honestly - but is local to Leicester.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, steveherbe said:

Welcome. If you really want to integrate with the Lestah folk, instead of using 'mate', try m'duck  (pronounced miduck) instead. Means the same - honestly - but is local to Leicester.

Stretches further north and west too...

3 hours ago, steveherbe said:

is that really common in leicester? i never hear people say that at all. 

awful defending to end up in the position he was in though. very harry maguire-esque. 

just lucky he just about had the pace to get back or he would've been slaughtered on here. that ball over the top did us (well, cags) at least 5 times on saturday. was a bit concerning. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

awful defending to end up in the position he was in though. very harry maguire-esque. 

just lucky he just about had the pace to get back or he would've been slaughtered on here. that ball over the top did us (well, cags) at least 5 times on saturday. was a bit concerning. 

This. Got caught out over and over again. Our fans are so besotted by him that everyone ignores that. 

He’s been fantastic all season, but he didn’t have a good game at the weekend. 

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not posted here yet, but lets enjoy this incredible challenge from Soyuncu at the weekend.

It's underrated that he has this side to his game to get back and defend and make last ditch blocks like this. He did get caught out but that was more formation and tactics leaving us susceptible to balls over the top like this. It's not only the tackles and headers and Cruyff turns but it's this aspect to his game too. 

20 hours ago, don_danbury said:

is that really common in leicester? i never hear people say that at all. 

I’ve lived in Leicester all my life (south and south-east) and never heard anyone say m’duck barring a couple of times from older people, I’d never say it myself and don’t know anyone who would :-/

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, danny. said:

I’ve lived in Leicester all my life (south and south-east) and never heard anyone say m’duck barring a couple of times from older people, I’d never say it myself and don’t know anyone who would :-/

yeah, i remember now as a kid about 25 years or so ago old women used to use it quite a bit. it does strike me as a word a gran would use to their grandkid or something lol

1 hour ago, danny. said:

Was used all the time with the older generation when I was a nipper, heard a few people use it recently around Oadby and Wigston, also used a lot around Luffbra, was used to gteet any age of person. Probably more common in north Leicestershire and south Yorkshire.

"Ay up" is a greeting typically used in the North of England and the Midlands instead of hello. "Me" means "my", while "duck" is an affectionate term for another person. It originates from the Saxon word ducas, according to historian Steve Birks, and has nothing to do with the bird of the same name

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No doubt it was a thing in Leicester I just wonder if it’s died out now. The same with the accent which many people don’t seem to have much I guess often out of choice and also with the rise of non geographic and more sub culture based accents 

3 hours ago, danny. said:

I was out walking the other day and came across this rather odd woman chucking bits of bread into a pond. She used that phrase quite a lot. I think she was talking to herself as I didn’t see anyone else about.

• Haha 2

Great video explaining our defensive system.

HighLine.thumb.png.6a164b6dc4dbb80da43b46d2d55c4993.png

Think this is the most poignant part for me with regards to this thread. For those critical of Soyuncu's positioning against Norwich - he was standing where he was supposed to stand, as we deliberately play a high line to compress the play and allow the forward 5 to press as a unit. Soyuncu's pace and anticipation has improved the effectiveness of the high press massively and it's no wonder he's both the revelation of the season in the Premier League and in talks over a new contract.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10656559/disastrous-harry-maguire-man-utd-fans-arsenal/amp/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-lindelof-maguire-17504496.amp

Woops. Man U fans are starting to realise we sold them our 3rd best central defender during the summer ... behind Evans and King Soyuncu.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Haha 3