Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
isaidno

FA Cup 2019/2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I don't get you?

You're saying every lower league club should automatically have to play every tie at home, denying them the chance to play at big grounds if they were drawn away at big clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Replays should definitely be banned. 90 mins then penalties only. If you're worried about lower league teams losing a big payday, then make it so that any team who is League One or lower automatically plays every tie at home. 

deny players the chance to play at big grounds, deny fans the chance to visit big grounds, and cost teams gate receipts. doesn't seem like a very good idea. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They either want a big day out or want to have a big team at home with a better chance of going through to the next round and potentially another home game. Especially if it goes to penalties after 90 mins. 

 

But if they get more money from half the gate at a big ground then scrap replays and leave it as it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you're in Europe the League Cup needs to be sacrificed. And by that I mean anyone taking part in Europe for the following season doesn't take part in the League Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bear said:

They either want a big day out or want to have a big team at home with a better chance of going through to the next round and potentially another home game. Especially if it goes to penalties after 90 mins. 

 

But if they get more money from half the gate at a big ground then scrap replays and leave it as it is. 

Or they want either, or both? That's the luck of the draw ennit. Like I say, if replays annoy big clubs then they should put out sides capable of beating lower opposition at the first time of asking. They all know the rules when they enter the tournament.

 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I think if you're in Europe the League Cup needs to be sacrificed. And by that I mean anyone taking part in Europe for the following season doesn't take part in the League Cup. 

Interesting idea in that it would guarantee you at least one new English club playing in Europe each year. But, as a Leicester fan, I'd be mightily pissed off if we were denied the right to compete for the trophy we're most likely to win just because we're good enough to play in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Or they want either, or both? That's the luck of the draw ennit. Like I say, if replays annoy big clubs then they should put out sides capable of beating lower opposition at the first time of asking. They all know the rules when they enter the tournament.

 

Interesting idea in that it would guarantee you at least one new English club playing in Europe each year. But, as a Leicester fan, I'd be mightily pissed off if we were denied the right to compete for the trophy we're most likely to win just because we're good enough to play in Europe.

Fair point. But if you look at the list of priorities when it comes to competitions, even for lesser high profile clubs in Europe (ie not top 6) I'd imagine it goes like:

 

League (survival or qualify for Europe again) 

FA Cup/Europe (£££) 

League Cup 

 

It's where the money is and if you look at the squads in earlier rounds from these teams it's likely to be fringe/second string players. And if not you then find yourself in a position now where it's very important to manage the squad. We're fortunate we can play in the League Cup now without European commitments so it's slightly easier to manage our squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither us nor Man Utd wanted a replay. I doubt Tranmere or Watford did either. 

 

Lower league clubs usually have bigger leagues and more games to contend with any way. Certainly in The Championship with 46 games plus 2 cups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Neither us nor Man Utd wanted a replay. I doubt Tranmere or Watford did either. 

 

Lower league clubs usually have bigger leagues and more games to contend with any way. Certainly in The Championship with 46 games plus 2 cups. 

Tranmere wouldn't mind it, I wouldn't have thought. Come back to 3-3 and get the chance to embarrass top flight opposition in front of your own fans. That's what it's all about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they could have just played them at home to start with and had that chance any way (in my suggestion above). 

 

I'm not sure many of their fans cared that much about a trip all the way down to glamorous Watford. Plus they have to fork out for two games rather than one now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Or they could have just played them at home to start with and had that chance any way (in my suggestion above). 

 

I'm not sure many of their fans cared that much about a trip all the way down to glamorous Watford. Plus they have to fork out for two games rather than one now. 

Well, they sold out the away end. Pretty clear they were up for it, and judging from the highlights they were delighted to get a second bite at the cherry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Neither us nor Man Utd wanted a replay. I doubt Tranmere or Watford did either. 

 

Lower league clubs usually have bigger leagues and more games to contend with any way. Certainly in The Championship with 46 games plus 2 cups. 

On the back of that comment, why don't clubs get to agree if there should be a replay? In the above instance, where both clubs don't want a replay, agree that the tie will be played over 90 mins and go straight to ET/penalties.

 

In the case where maybe Man U play Newport (or similar) and Newport are desperate for a replay, then keep things as is (i.e. BOTH clubs have to agree to scrap a replay). This would obviously need to be communicated with the FA and fans etc notified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Bear said:

Neither us nor Man Utd wanted a replay. I doubt Tranmere or Watford did either. 

 

Lower league clubs usually have bigger leagues and more games to contend with any way. Certainly in The Championship with 46 games plus 2 cups. 

One of you should have tried to win the ****ing game first time then. 
2 shots on target for the whole game (correct me if I’m wrong) watching it, it looked like two teams playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

On the back of that comment, why don't clubs get to agree if there should be a replay? In the above instance, where both clubs don't want a replay, agree that the tie will be played over 90 mins and go straight to ET/penalties.

 

In the case where maybe Man U play Newport (or similar) and Newport are desperate for a replay, then keep things as is (i.e. BOTH clubs have to agree to scrap a replay). This would obviously need to be communicated with the FA and fans etc notified.

It surely has to be the same rules for everyone, how’s it fair that if say Wolves and Man Utd agreed to not have a replay, but we had to have one because we drew with a lower league team, who needed it.

If a club really doesn’t want a replay, play a full strength attacking team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

It surely has to be the same rules for everyone, how’s it fair that if say Wolves and Man Utd agreed to not have a replay, but we had to have one because we drew with a lower league team, who needed it.

If a club really doesn’t want a replay, play a full strength attacking team. 

Maybe they would if there were no replays. The fixture pile up is forcing teams to play weakened sides, and unfortunately, the FA Cup has been one of the competitions where that happens. Reducing fixtures throughout the season will help teams be able to go full strength again without excuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Maybe they would if there were no replays. The fixture pile up is forcing teams to play weakened sides, and unfortunately, the FA Cup has been one of the competitions where that happens. Reducing fixtures throughout the season will help teams be able to go full strength again without excuses.

Maybe clubs should ask UEFA to return European competition to straight knock out comp and reduce games that way if they’re so bothered about fixture congestion?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Maybe clubs should ask UEFA to return European competition to straight knock out comp and reduce games that way if they’re so bothered about fixture congestion?

 

I assume this was before my time. I do vaguely remember CL being split into two group stages about 20 years ago but not much before that. By the sounds of things, European competitions are only getting bigger and more of them (allbeit mainly to benefit lesser countries). Let's face it, UEFA control the majority of clubs and so their competitions will be highly regarded. Hence the FA Cup has not been treated with the best respect over the past decade or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bottom line is that the price you pay for supporting a club who are good at football is that they have to play in more matches. Said clubs have never been better placed to actually deal with that due to squad size and quality, and yet all they do is moan. Just suck it up lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams in the same divsion could choose to not play a replay, ie Wolves/Man Utd, and the draw goes straight to pens but then there will be an argument for "if we were at home, it would have been different".

 

In my opinion, leave it as it is.

 

You see Rochdale playing at St James' for the first time, players will have loved playing at such a big ground and the fans would have enjoyed their visit. Just like I enjoy visits to smaller grounds that I've never done before (ie Brentford next week).

 

Bottom line is, Premier League teams have enough resources and a squad big enough to get through these games. Not all football league and non league clubs have such resources but they don't moan about it. Biggest moaners are clubs with all the money.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Teams in the same divsion could choose to not play a replay, ie Wolves/Man Utd, and the draw goes straight to pens but then there will be an argument for "if we were at home, it would have been different".

The rules of both the FA Trophy and FA Vase allowed the respective clubs to decide if they want to replay or finish the game on the day. If they use the replay option, a provisional date is agreed and extra time must also be played. 

 

That's quite simply the answer in the FA Cup.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I assume this was before my time. I do vaguely remember CL being split into two group stages about 20 years ago but not much before that. By the sounds of things, European competitions are only getting bigger and more of them (allbeit mainly to benefit lesser countries). Let's face it, UEFA control the majority of clubs and so their competitions will be highly regarded. Hence the FA Cup has not been treated with the best respect over the past decade or more.

The Times today states that Champions League at quarter-final stage likely to become 2 groups and create an additional four games - so could kill off the EFL/League Cup in the process

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The rules of both the FA Trophy and FA Vase allowed the respective clubs to decide if they want to replay or finish the game on the day. If they use the replay option, a provisional date is agreed and extra time must also be played. 

 

That's quite simply the answer in the FA Cup.  

I think this is the way forward, really. I'm in the minority, I know, but I'd scrap replays altogether, bigger slice of prize money for lower league clubs, especially when winning the FA Cup for top teams (even us) is just paltry compared to the PL/Europe. The lower leagues can benefit far more to pick up the loss of replays. I'd also argue that these teams, like Rochdale, have more of a chance of winning against Newcastle in the home game in ET/Pens than they do tredging up to the North East 10 days later. I reckon the prize money and next round opponent reward is far more of a prize than the (semi-patronising) "joy of earning a replay."

 

Someone mentioned it on a podcast, but apparently there was similar noise made when they scrapped multiple replays. League Cup early rounds were two legs. Competitions can and should adapt to modern day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I think this is the way forward, really. I'm in the minority, I know, but I'd scrap replays altogether, bigger slice of prize money for lower league clubs, especially when winning the FA Cup for top teams (even us) is just paltry compared to the PL/Europe. The lower leagues can benefit far more to pick up the loss of replays. I'd also argue that these teams, like Rochdale, have more of a chance of winning against Newcastle in the home game in ET/Pens than they do tredging up to the North East 10 days later. I reckon the prize money and next round opponent reward is far more of a prize than the (semi-patronising) "joy of earning a replay."

 

Someone mentioned it on a podcast, but apparently there was similar noise made when they scrapped multiple replays. League Cup early rounds were two legs. Competitions can and should adapt to modern day.

Not really fair on Newcastle though is it. Dodgy pitch, fans closer to players, the atmosphere of "Cup upset". Lower league teams shouldn't get an advantage. It's a cup draw and if they're at home first leg then ok but if it's a draw then that's that. Back to Newcastle. As I said earlier, a ground like St James' will be a welcomed visit for Rochdale players, staff and fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tranmere 2-1 up in ET.

 

Probably should have won before.

 

Good luck to them  against Man U.

 

Prope cup tie on rubbish pitch against out of form side .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Tranmere 2-1 up in ET.

 

Probably should have won before.

 

Good luck to them  against Man U.

 

Prope cup tie on rubbish pitch against out of form side .

Tranmere must really fancy themselves in that,all unrest of course at United playing on a rough sand pitch... what the fa cup is all about :thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

United will beat Tranmere but it would be hilarious if they turned them over and got Ole the sack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...