LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

Im a huge fan of Brendan and what he was doing in the first half of this season. 

But I'm getting pissed off at the interviews. They remind me of them interviews managers of smaller clubs do (sean dyche), where its constantly a reminder of how great a job theyve done to gloss over the huge shortcomings when they do arise.

The interview i watched earlier on SSN basically he said, we've been doing loads better than you thought so it should be expected we'd blow it. 

He took this job because he knew the starting XI was strong enough for top 4 with a couple of other clubs in a mess. He knew it would also be looked at as a huge achievement back in a top league, ready for a massive club to come in for him. 

He needs to turn it around, or that move might not come.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Im a huge fan of Brendan and what he was doing in the first half of this season. 

But I'm getting pissed off at the interviews. They remind me of them interviews managers of smaller clubs do (sean dyche), where its constantly a reminder of how great a job theyve done to gloss over the huge shortcomings when they do arise.

The interview i watched earlier on SSN basically he said, we've been doing loads better than you thought so it should be expected we'd blow it. 

He took this job because he knew the starting XI was strong enough for top 4 with a couple of other clubs in a mess. He knew it would also be looked at as a huge achievement back in a top league, ready for a massive club to come in for him. 

I agree here. 

Solksjaer recently dug out his team despite being on a winning run - players need to earn the right etc. 

On the face of it that could do some harm but it galvanised things. 

As a club we've become a bit stuffy and soft. 

• Like 1

When BR took the team I thought we had players tha looked like they could go for European place, and when he took over our results have proved that's the case, but imo BR has made some strange decisions, he's made mistakes and even admitted those mistakes, after the Man City match I think it was I saw pundits (Lee Dixon amongst them) question how BR couldn't see the tactical errors of how we were getting done and change it. There's no doubt he gets plaudits for his coaching but is there a lack of ability with tactics and setting a team up? If we don't get Europe this season it will be a terrible failure imo and would have to fall at BR feet imo

• Like 3

I posted back in January that I felt we would struggle and just about limp over the line in 4th, and that's the way it's shaping up. We need one big effort from everyone to get the job done. Then it will be a very successful season and Brendan will deserve great credit despite our shortcomings in the Cups and league since Christmas. In short the Table won't reflect the difficulties we've had, only where we finished this season. Hopefully 3rd or 4th.

It is hard to be to critical of Brendan when we sit third in the Table, But equally he has made mistakes which I wouldn't have expected from a Manager of his experience.

His first mistake was not signing an alternative type striker in the Ulloa, Howard mould last Summer. Many of us pointed this out at the time.This would have given us an alternative way of playing when things are not going well. Currently we're too predictable and too slow.

He also failed to add some real pace to the team which on it's own terrifies defenders. It's not just on the wings you need pace. It's right through the team. In short the balance of the team is wrong.

He also ignored the need for a physical presence which leaves us struggling at set plays both ends of the Pitch.

I also think he's misusing Maddison which is why we are not getting the best from him recently. Similarly Tielemans.

For me Maddison is covering too much ground and hasn't got the energy to be as effective in the final third of the pitch where we need his skill most.

I also feel we're not fit enough compared to other seasons. It may be down to the style we're playing, which slows the game down and looks even slower.

In BRs defense, He's only had 15 Months and one Summer Window to work with the players and to bring in the players he wants. He has to be given more time regardless of how the season finishes. Even if we have further Hot and Cold periods next season. Once we're mid table and progress is visible.

It took both Guardiola and Klopp 3 years to mould Man City and Liverpool teams to their liking and achieve success. 

He was also hampered with the squad he inherited with Slimani,Silva, Plus poor signings and long term injuries. This has meant that he was restricted in the market as to what he could do due to financial constraints and fair play rules. 

In Maddisons case as with others it may be that he's educating him in others parts of the game to broaden his wider understanding of the game. In the belief that this will make him a more effective player overall.

I'd prefer to see him used in a similar manner as David Silva for Man City, In and around the opposition penalty box terrifying defenders with his trickery and ability to buy fouls.

Vardy, when he's doing what he does best which is scoring we're usually winning so it's hard to be too critical of him as he's served us well. But when it's not working he's virtually a liability as he offers very little else as he's not a rounded type of player like Giroud or Salah. Consequently we suffer as a team to change or effect a game. 

It's also fair to say that we are talking about small margins. But that is the difference at the top end of the game. Turning draws into wins and 1 nil defeats in Draws.

All in all this is going to be a big Summer Window for Brendan. Which he just has to get it right.

Otherwise the patience of everyone will be truly tested.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

The starting XI is not a top 4 team 

they have massively over achieved 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

The starting XI is not a top 4 team 

they have massively over achieved 

I disagree.

We all knew the potential of this team in the summer. Alot of us said top 6. If you can crack the top 6 then top 4 was never out of the question.

The way we are playing now is like a relegation side. But that shouldn't mean we just say **** it, we're shit. 

He knew when he joined he could achieve this kind of position this season.

Edited by Gamble92
Spelling
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, splinterdream said:

When BR took the team I thought we had players tha looked like they could go for European place, and when he took over our results have proved that's the case, but imo BR has made some strange decisions, he's made mistakes and even admitted those mistakes, after the Man City match I think it was I saw pundits (Lee Dixon amongst them) question how BR couldn't see the tactical errors of how we were getting done and change it. There's no doubt he gets plaudits for his coaching but is there a lack of ability with tactics and setting a team up? If we don't get Europe this season it will be a terrible failure imo and would have to fall at BR feet imo

Exactly this. I for one have been saying this for months now and getting slaughtered. I feel he is a great coach but not a manager. His tactics and substitutions leave me mystified.

• Thanks 1

None of our wingers would be getting a starting place or really much game time in any top four Prem side.

Kasper and our back four (when Ricardo is fit) with Ndidi sitting in front is class. Vardy Madders Praet Youri also quality.

After that we have squad players and not close to a comparable depth that other top 4-6 teams can field in competitions.

We have 10 players total who might compete to get in other top four-six sides. And only 8 of them were fit on Sunday.

We are still making that transition to the total football but haven’t got the personnel to play it to it’s full effect and create the chances and bury them. It’s what I’d call a shit brand of total football!

If we keep going we will get there - we looked more like ourselves against Chelsea and we will get better against the teams that park the bus and leave us no space too. 

2 new wingers is a must and Harvey needs to find a first touch and better balls in and tbh a better strike at goal too from somewhere - he’s just not quite there yet.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

None of our wingers would be getting a starting place or really much game time in any top four Prem side.

Kasper and our back four (when Ricardo is fit) with Ndidi sitting in front is class. Vardy Madders Praet Youri also quality.

After that we have squad players and not close to a comparable depth that other top 4-6 teams can field in competitions.

We have 10 players total who might compete to get in other top four-six sides. And only 8 of them were fit on Sunday.

We are still making that transition to the total football but haven’t got the personnel to play it to it’s full effect and create the chances and bury them. It’s what I’d call a shit brand of total football!

If we keep going we will get there - we looked more like ourselves against Chelsea and we will get better against the teams that park the bus and leave us no space too. 

2 new wingers is a must and Harvey needs to find a first touch and better balls in and tbh a better strike at goal too from somewhere - he’s just not quite there yet.

Spot on, other team can make changes that really have an impact, we don’t. Well not consistently.

Gray has done at times, Albrighton does at times.

Kelichi has Had a little more impact from the bench but still does strike fear into the opposition.

You would think it is so easy being a football manager with the comments on here! Just put him there, bring so & so and we will win, oh wait! Change the formation instead, that will work!  Give it passion and a bit of fist pumping that will do the job!  The problems are more of a confidence issue for the players.....now it is Brenda's job to rectify that, he needs to get the best out of Maddison, who's had a drop off in form and find the midfield solution for Vardy, so that he can get his scoring boots on again!  If he does that he's a hero again, but if not he will have the chance to bring some players in to rectify this.  If our form continues to nose dive next season, then it is the time to question his management skills!!!

8 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

You would think it is so easy being a football manager with the comments on here! Just put him there, bring so & so and we will win, oh wait! Change the formation instead, that will work!  Give it passion and a bit of fist pumping that will do the job!  The problems are more of a confidence issue for the players.....now it is Brenda's job to rectify that, he needs to get the best out of Maddison, who's had a drop off in form and find the midfield solution for Vardy, so that he can get his scoring boots on again!  If he does that he's a hero again, but if not he will have the chance to bring some players in to rectify this.  If our form continues to nose dive next season, then it is the time to question his management skills!!!

...it's a lack of tactical knowhow is the problem, not his man management skills!!!

This is not his first season in a managerial capacity and situations like this are issues he would have previously encountered. The fact he has no answer to our decline in performance leads me to believe he is not good enough to sustain a top four pursuit nor be competitive in Europe.

His retention of Morgan and Fuchs must surely be for their leadership and a conduit to his players, it is time to use them and stop floundering because of his own shortcomings.

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it's a lack of tactical knowhow is the problem, not his man management skills!!!

This is not his first season in a managerial capacity and situations like this are issues he would have previously encountered. The fact he has no answer to our decline in performance leads me to believe he is not good enough to sustain a top four pursuit nor be competitive in Europe.

His retention of Morgan and Fuchs must surely be for their leadership and a conduit to his players, it is time to use them and stop floundering because of his own shortcomings.

Christ 😆 

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

How do you know he has a lack of tactical knowledge? It is not Football Manger!!!!  As all football fans we try to find a reason for loss of form,  the media helps fuel these conspiracy theories ... "he's lost the dressing room".  Most pros who have played under Rodgers generally speak very highly of him!  I'm not his greatest fan, but sometimes you have to give a Manager time at least 2-3 years to build something.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

This 100% people need to pull their head out of the sand, below is the net spend of the last 5 years, we have punched above our weight since our return to the PL, coaching and good management only get you so far! Man U net spend of 200m this season is more then our net spend for 5 years.........

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
8. Bournemouth – £176.95m
9. Aston Villa – £166.65m
10. Watford – £125.69m
11. Leicester City – £124.83m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
16. Crystal Palace – £75.69m
17. Burnley – £59.4m
18. Sheffield United – £56.71m
19. Southampton – £22.32m
20. Norwich City – £25.42m profit

Edited by coolhandfox

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

This 100% pull need to pull there head out of the sand, below is the net spend of the last 5 years, we have punched above our weight since our return to the PL, coaching and good management only get you so far! 

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

...the only thing that really stands out from this is how well Klopp has done since he has taken the role!!!

Yes we have done well in view of our acquisitions and sales and for a club of our size, probably in relation to spend just where we should be.

• Like 1

Just on the face of it, brendan doesn't look like he has it in him to give the boys a real telling off for the poor form they have shown as it's probably not his style. But I think that's what we need at the moment. Someone to question them to get the best out of them, I know that would fire up Vardy, Maddison, etc.. 

This may be one of his biggest flaws as I reckon he's a good person to keep morale high when it's going well but he probably needs to create an alter ego to let the players know they've let him down after some of the recent performances. 

58 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

This 100% people need to pull their head out of the sand, below is the net spend of the last 5 years, we have punched above our weight since our return to the PL, coaching and good management only get you so far! Man U net spend of 200m this season is more then our net spend for 5 years.........

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

5 years is a too long period as it includes our post title spending where we splashed out.

Last 3 seasons or so we are close to break even or even possibly a negative spend.

• Like 1

I want to start by saying I was actually against Rodgers being appointed. I didn't think he delivered the type of football many on here claimed he did BUT since taking over, he has won me over. 

There is no doubt that our form since christmas has been worrying, HOWEVER, we CAN'T keep moving the goalposts on our managers! 

At the start of the season, most on here were saying that top 6 was the aim and I'm fairly confident when I say it was probably the boards goal also. We now have a manager delivering on that were the last couple failed and we are giving him stick because it is ONLY top 6 and not top 4! It is mental!!

Now doubt that 6th place would be disappointing considering were we where at one point in the season but he is still hitting expectation and target and when cant get the pitch forks out because he had the team over achieving at one point. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, shailen said:

Just on the face of it, brendan doesn't look like he has it in him to give the boys a real telling off for the poor form they have shown as it's probably not his style. But I think that's what we need at the moment. Someone to question them to get the best out of them, I know that would fire up Vardy, Maddison, etc.. 

This may be one of his biggest flaws as I reckon he's a good person to keep morale high when it's going well but he probably needs to create an alter ego to let the players know they've let him down after some of the recent performances. 

We don't see what happens behind the scenes though. I'd like to think the squad also polices itself slightly with the likes of Schmeichel and Morgan when it comes to effort. 

We do however know this squad has the tendency to down tools as soon as they have some form of disagreement with a manager hence I think you are unlikely to ever get a form of criticism in public. 

18 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

A good rule of thumb is to ignore posters who have a tendency to use a lot of exclamation marks. If their point was any good, they'd not feel the need to.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

A good rule of thumb is to ignore posters who have a tendency to use a lot of exclamation marks. If their point was any good, they'd not feel the need to.

Rubbish !!!!!!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!