LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

We were over performing, now we're under performing.

Brendan has made some good players better and some average players good. I don't lay the blame for this slump at Brendan's door. He's using the squad he has and we've been over reliant on Barnes having an exceptional season and having a back four that is both swashbuckling and secure.

We need to strengthen the squad, move on some ok players and get in some who, rather than just being able to do a job, can change a game when they come on. We also need some old heads throughout. The midfield needs an established and experienced player who can better managed stages of games.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Anyone who is insistent on Lee Congerton joining them at clubs despite his track record clearly cannot be any sort of football maestro or genius.

Rodgers is basically an overpromoted office middle manager with a very noticeable fraudulent streak and he should go at the end of the season.

When will this club learn to stop handing out new contracts willy-nilly and for no reason? Its absurd.

Probably when we stop being 3rd after 32 games.

Over promoted office middle manager?

Would love to know what you thought about Craig Levein, Nigel Worthington or Ian Holloway.

I swear some Leicester fans deserve **** all.

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Pathetic to go from being 15 points clear in the top 4 in February to finishing 6th or 7th too.

So pathetic to secure our 2nd highest Premier League finish after selling our some of our best players 4 years on the trot.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Probably when we stop being 3rd after 32 games.

Over promoted office middle manager?

Would love to know what you thought about Craig Levein, Nigel Worthington or Ian Holloway.

I swear some Leicester fans deserve **** all.

They were all shit too. Completely irrelevant though.

Just now, ealingfox said:

They were all shit too. Completely irrelevant though.

You think Brendan Rodgers deserves to be called shit for guiding Leicester to 3rd place after 32 games in a Premier League season?

4 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

We were over performing, now we're under performing.

Brendan has made some good players better and some average players good. I don't lay the blame for this slump at Brendan's door. He's using the squad he has and we've been over reliant on Barnes having an exceptional season and having a back four that is both swashbuckling and secure.

We need to strengthen the squad, move on some ok players and get in some who, rather than just being able to do a job, can change a game when they come on. We also need some old heads throughout. The midfield needs an established and experienced player who can better managed stages of games.

I think this is something i've unappreciated but you're absolutely right.

Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi and Choudhury are all under 23. Praet is only 26 (without having a huge amount of top class football experience). Mendy is just constantly injured and is only 27.

Imagine if we were in this postion in 2015 when Milner became available. How perfect would he be for us...

Guest An Sionnach

You have to remember that neither Rodgers nor his assistant manager have any substantial playing CV at all. They are in no position to tell the players how to play football , tactics are all they have . Guardiola , Lampard and Solksjar were top class players and as good or better than most of the players under them. Players can soon lose respect for a manager who has never done it themselves.

Just now, AKCJ said:

You think Brendan Rodgers deserves to be called shit for guiding Leicester to 3rd place after 32 games in a Premier League season?

I think he deserves to be called shit for producing 4 wins from our last 16 games in the league. Only a run of very good form through a series of favourable fixtures in October and November is making him look any better than Puel at this stage.

He's not as shit as Levein, Holloway or Worthington if that makes you feel better though.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I think he deserves to be called shit for producing 4 wins from our last 16 games in the league. Only a run of very good form through a series of favourable fixtures in October and November is making him look any better than Puel at this stage.

He's not as shit as Levein, Holloway or Worthington if that makes you feel better though.

clueless 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
22 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

"Only winning more games is making him look better than our last manager".

Guest An Sionnach
12 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Rubbish. Alex Ferguson had a mediocre playing career. Jose Mourinho started as an interpreter for Bobby Robson. I don't think Jürgen Klopp had a particularly great playing career either. There will be literally hundreds more examples, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Ferguson was a pretty good striker actually back in the day when Rangers were good . This never played properly manager trend  began with Wenger and Erikson . They always had experienced players as deputies , Rodgers doesn't.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Ferguson was a pretty good striker actually back in the day when Rangers were good . This never played properly manager trend  began with Wenger and Erikson . They always had experienced players as deputies , Rodgers doesn't.

No because Kolo Toure had a ****ing awful career didn’t he. 

27 minutes ago, Apollo said:

clueless 

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

"Only winning more games is making him look better than our last manager".

You dont have to agree. But bottling the Champions League from a 15 point head start with less than half a season to go, bottling a two-legged semi-final against the worst team in the league, instilling a weak, loser mentality in the squad and being so utterly one-dimensional that any old prat of a manager can turn up and do a job on us are not issues that are mitigated because we beat a few of the bottom half teams in a row 8 months ago.

Time will do its thing. Him and Congerton are not good for this club and in my opinion, they should go and soon, because they will cause lasting damage.

If I'm wrong, I will happily revisit this and hold my hands up. But we've been here before.

Just now, ealingfox said:

You dont have to agree. But bottling the Champions League from a 15 point head start with less than half a season to go, bottling a two-legged semi-final against the worst team in the league, instilling a weak, loser mentality in the squad and being so utterly one-dimensional that any old prat of a manager can turn up and do a job on us are not issues that are mitigated because we beat a few of the bottom half teams in a row 8 months ago.

Time will do its thing. Him and Congerton are not good for this club and in my opinion, they should go and soon, because they will cause lasting damage.

If I'm wrong, I will happily revisit this and hold my hands up. But we've been here before.

When?

Other than when we won the league, when have we ever been 3rd after 32 games?

• Like 3
Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, Manini said:

No because Kolo Toure had a ****ing awful career didn’t he. 

Kolo Toure is defensive coach,  not part of the management team and we do not have a problem with our defence. When Guardiola and Lampard talk football skill and technique they command respect.

The fear I have is that if we don't turn this round before the end of the season then we might start off poorly next season.

Anyone calling for him to be sacked needs to have a word though, we need to give him more time to put his own stamp onto the squad. He can start by signing a decent bloody winger, we've only needed one for 2 years now.

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

When?

Other than when we won the league, when have we ever been 3rd after 32 games?

Not what I meant, but if you insist on being like that we finished 2nd in 1928/29.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not what I meant, but if you insist on being like that we finished 2nd in 1928/29.

Who was the manager then? Get him in.

• Haha 4
22 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Kolo Toure is defensive coach,  not part of the management team and we do not have a problem with our defence. When Guardiola and Lampard talk football skill and technique they command respect.

If a player won't listen to a manager or coach because of lack of actual playing experience, they're probably an arsehole. Having playing experience in no way correlates to being a decent manager, Gary Neville is your example. 

I was glad to see Brendan actually show some emotion at the drinks break and his post match interview. Honesty and also admitting what they need to all do. Nowhere to hide now for the players or him as he said the results were his responsibility. Hopefully the massive kick up the bum will spur them all on. They showed periods of play that proves they can do it and he has admitted it's mentality and it being a young team.

Time to grow up lads and show what you are capable of doing! 

Edited by Hales
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

yeah you start to realise it's beating mid table dross that has made it look better than it is. doubles of newcastle, west ham and villa, then a bumped up GD thanks to 10 man southampton. not beaten any of the sides around us. had some luck with the spurs game earlier in the season and facing arsenal under unai emery. 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

You have to remember that neither Rodgers nor his assistant manager have any substantial playing CV at all. They are in no position to tell the players how to play football , tactics are all they have . Guardiola , Lampard and Solksjar were top class players and as good or better than most of the players under them. Players can soon lose respect for a manager who has never done it themselves.

Think that argument is total rubbish tbh. There are countless managers in the modern game and in the history of football who’ve had average playing careers. 

Klopp was a very average player throughout his career. Never played in the European Cup 

Brendan is not a “shit” manager. He is good manager who gets results from good players. 

The problem he has got is that the team is good but the squad is not. We all know that. He got the best out of the team. However, like any team, you have a downward curve except the team that usually wins the league. When you are going for top ten, top 8 or even top 6, the performance of the team on the upward curve usually papers over the cracks (we still very much a top 6 side). When you’re going for Europe’s most elite competition, you need a level of performance consistently at a level which is very hard to maintain with 12/13 players.

This is the problem and the only problem. When players have lost form, got injured etc. The replacement is probably half the level of them - the team subsequently loses the consistency level required i.e. Ndidi getting injured, now Riccy P. Decent players replaced them but not top 4 level players. 

Unless you spend like Man C it takes time to build a squad of that capability. We would be foolish to let Brendan go without building that squad given where he has taken the team. He has had 18 months for god sake. 

We are in safe hands and will be stronger as a team and better as a squad after the summer. For now though, we need to scrape a win or two.