Sign in to follow this  
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

I can't believe Tielemans was playing deeper than Praet on Wednesday, doesn't make sense. Praet is the type of midfielder to keep things ticking over but also has a bit of a box to box nature to him. Last couple of performances haven't been excellent, coming in and out of the team can't be great for him and he seems to be the one that gets dragged at half time when things aren't going well. Good teams need players like him I reckon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I can see that viewpoint, especially in recent matches. I believe he's been signed for the build up play when we are dominant in possession against teams that park the bus. Praet is very technical and rather than just hoofing the ball, he has the technique to receive the ball in tight spaces, turn and then keep the ball going with a good pass, which is often played first time. Against teams that play a low block, notice how we spend a lot of time passing the ball from side-to-side - that's because we are trying to force their defenders to keep moving, and then at the right time, inject pace into our play to create an overload opportunity to deliver a killer ball into the box. 

What I would say is that in recent games he is neat and tidy on the ball, but I don't see him demanding the ball and / or grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and trying to make something happen. Maddison on the other hand has turned into that type of player which is why for me he's been one of our most important players this season. 

I was at first highly enthused by this guy. But last few weeks he's been very very ordinary. 

Your analysis of him is spot on. But right now, on current form, we'd have been as well to save 20m and included Mendy instead who frankly does.much the same in receiving the ball in tight spots and swerving out of trouble.

at the moment Mendy is fitter, faster and tactically better

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I was at first highly enthused by this guy. But last few weeks he's been very very ordinary. 

Your analysis of him is spot on. But right now, on current form, we'd have been as well to save 20m and included Mendy instead who frankly does.much the same in receiving the ball in tight spots and swerving out of trouble.

at the moment Mendy is fitter, faster and tactically better

Not sure about that ........ also I  am worried about mendy being targeted by more physical players .... strange we are playing soton tomorrow ....maybe worth looking back at last season home to them to see what I mean .....

Edited by st albans fox

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Not sure about that ........ also I  am worried about mendy being targeted by more physical players .... strange we are playing soton tomorrow ....maybe worth looking back at last season home to them to see what I mean .....

He had an absolute mare. I remember. But was out of character for him.lasy season. 

Every player is allowed the occasional shocker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He had an absolute mare. I remember. But was out of character for him.lasy season. 

It became a thing in puel’s latter stages .....teams seemed to lay traps for him to receive the ball and then try to mug him off physically .....if he plays more then it will becomes a thing again 

Just now, st albans fox said:

It became a thing in puel’s latter stages .....teams seemed to lay traps for him to receive the ball and then try to mug him off physically .....if he plays more then it will becomes a thing again 

I don't think it'll be a problem as he clearly doesn't figure in the manager's plans.

My point being is that the Praet of the last few weeks hasn't really been worth the bother. Let's hope it's just an adjustment thing and captures the early season glimpses of quality

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Absolutely. When he first appeared on the pitch at the start of last season you could hear the sighs. However,  for me, he turned out to be one of our better performers which was backed up by pundits at the time with motm or close to motm performances. Yes he did have a couple of dodgy games but this season, how many has Tielemans had or Praet, Barnes, Maddison etc? I'm not suggesting for minute that Mendy is a better player than any of these or even deserves to be a first team choice but, I do suggest that we afford more tolerance to and have more patience with certain fans favourites. Since the day he came and had a torrid time through unfortunately injury, some on here have never cut him much slack. I think he's a very decent player and may still be a very important cog in our squad as the games come thick and fast and injuries occur. For saying he's had little on field action this season, when he has made an appearance I think he's done remarkably well.

Praet is another very good technical player that we signed for next to nothing in this day and age.

Hit and miss currently but doesn't mean he's not good enough. 

He's just a a little slow in terms of pace but he's very tidy in possession, good passer and doesn't mind a tackle either. Will only improve over time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Deserves to keep his place in the starting 11. Youri and Maddison have both been poor recently. 

Don't disagree with the 2nd part. But apart from scoring today I thought he was poor. Much better suited to seeing games out

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bayfox said:

Don't disagree with the 2nd part. But apart from scoring today I thought he was poor. Much better suited to seeing games out

Bit harsh. 1st half he was one of the few to come out with some credit. But agree that second half he wasn't great but join the club on that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

Bit harsh. 1st half he was one of the few to come out with some credit. But agree that second half he wasn't great but join the club on that.

Really? I had no idea what role or position he was meant to be playing. Infact I'm not convinced he knew his role either.

He's been a class apart when coming on to se out games but he did himself no favours today in my eyes.

Pleased he scored. But I'd struggle to do a positive highlights real today.

I seriously wonder if our fans even watch the matches sometimes. Praet was the only one putting any pressure on the ball for much of the game - even Choudhury wasn’t pressing much.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Really? I had no idea what role or position he was meant to be playing. Infact I'm not convinced he knew his role either.

He's been a class apart when coming on to se out games but he did himself no favours today in my eyes.

Pleased he scored. But I'd struggle to do a positive highlights real today.

Really surprised with that, I thought he was one of the few actually close to being on it today. Kept possession well, was getting stuck in when others were jumping out of challenges constantly and got a goal. 

He looked amazing next to the shit show Chilwell, Hamza and Barnes turned in.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

I thought he was alright yesterday. Showed some nice touches and was nowhere near the worst player. Think he's been unfairly criticised for yesterday among players who were far more deserving of such criticism. 

Agree that he was generally ok yesterday but I also agree that he didn’t seem certain of his role in the side. The same as on Wednesday against villa. That does him no favours. 

Agree with last comment very tidy on the ball and a really nice goal but seemed to have a roving role.Never quite sure where he would be

By The 2nd half most of our creative stuff going forward was thru him.  I was surprised when Brendan took him off - he should be a regular started.

Thought he was decent, much more steely than I thought when we first signed him. Definitely deserves to start over Tielemans currently 

• Like 2

Just now, adam said:

Not sure why he keeps taking him off. Bizarre.

I know. Then we concede