Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Guest Harrydc

This really is ridiculous, like others has said - An academy graduate who is England's number 1 left back.. Yes, he's going through a rough patch but really? Get a grip lol 

I think playing full back is now one of the hardest positions in any team. They are for a lot of teams asked to go forward and defend and are left isolated with forward players flooding the box. 

Chilwell has suffered as a result of that imo and he is being asked to take the ball from LB to LW and deliver with very little support. Last season it was similar, but Maguire used to feed him the ball higher up the pitch and so he was more potent in attack.

I don't think there are many better LBs with potential to be great other than Chilwell and whilst he has a lot to learn and improve on, it would be a massive blow to us to lose him. He would improve Man City without a doubt and that should mean he's good enough for us.

• Like 1

No. Sod off. Absolutely not.

He might be going through a rough patch of form but he's still one of the best left backs in the league. Plus, he's from our academy. And he's 22. And...

Do I need to keep going? Honestly, this forum sometimes.

• Like 3

I’d love to see him played as an out & out left winger similar to Steve Guppy. I know it sounds a bit strange, but he has always been so exciting to watch when going forward. He used to stride forward historically without really caring about his defensive duties, which made him standout as an attacking fullback.

Rather than slate the guy, it would be good to see Fuchs given the responsibility of doing what he’s good at & defending - and Chilwell moved further upfield & providing some extra width. I’m sure Vardy would appreciate the extra 6 yard box crosses! 

However, probably will never happen given the number of midfielders we have.

22 minutes ago, ForeverandEver said:

Rather than slate the guy, it would be good to see Fuchs given the responsibility of doing what he’s good at & defending - and Chilwell moved further upfield & providing some extra width. I’m sure Vardy would appreciate the extra 6 yard box crosses! 

I know we’ve played Chilwell in front of Fuchs before while he was still learning how to defend.

But these days Fuchs in front of Chilwell probably plays more to their respective strengths, if we did have to play both.

34 minutes ago, ForeverandEver said:

I’d love to see him played as an out & out left winger similar to Steve Guppy. I know it sounds a bit strange, but he has always been so exciting to watch when going forward. He used to stride forward historically without really caring about his defensive duties, which made him standout as an attacking fullback.

What a bizarre suggestion.

Chilwell has a huge weakness with the quality of his final ball. He also hasn’t got the ability to go round players like a winger might.

So let’s play him further up field where this lack of ability will be even more exposed? 

14 minutes ago, worthosoriginals said:

Some of these 'supporters' will be booing him onto the pitch next.

Don't get me wrong, I think Chilwell has been pretty crap and very frustrating to watch this season. he is 100% the weak link in the team currently. BUT he is only 22.

I've been saying this for a few weeks now: he NEEDS competition in that position, give Fuchs a shot - he looked good last time out and still has something to give us.

The other problem Chilwell has is that currently Ricardo is on fire consistently and makes him look poor in comparison.  

15 hours ago, Foxes04 said:

Are people on here really complaining about our 22 year old England international? Seriously?! He might not have had the best start to the season but everyone has poor runs once in a while. Give him a chance!

I don't think we should sell him, quality player imo, the question is does he want to, exiting times ahead especially with our new training complex buying built, why would you want to leave 

5 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

What a bizarre suggestion.

Chilwell has a huge weakness with the quality of his final ball. He also hasn’t got the ability to go round players like a winger might.

So let’s play him further up field where this lack of ability will be even more exposed? 

You say that, but last season James Maddison only got 3 more assists than Chilwell in the same number of appearances - & that was Chilwell playing from LB.

Anyway it’ll probably never happen, was just a thought. 

I think there is a fair chance Chilwell could fancy a move to a bigger club this summer. Wonder what some folk would say if his patter changes ala Maguire...

In truth both full backs could be vulnerable positions for us for different reasons. Riccy more advanced and primed for a big nove and contract, Chilly still seen as WIP but with England credentials behind him could attract suitors. His form to date albeit 8 games is poor, should that continue it may dampen interest.

Trouble is he’s probably made to look worse by the performances of Ricardo on the other side - think everybody wants a left footed Ricardo, but that Chilly is not.

At the moment if we were to continue our model of selling one big player a summer, then he would be my pick if we could get circa £60m for him. I think he is replaceable and we could even improve our team with another left back.

That being said, he’s our player, an academy graduate and he cares about the club. We certainly shouldn’t be in a rush to get rid of him and some of the criticism he’s taken recently has been a little harsh in my view!

Just getting his final ball better would be a vast improvement. His positioning is actually ok! He ever gets his head up when drilling a 6 yard cross along the floor, always blocked by the first man even when he's got time... those are the most frustrating moments!!!! 

7 hours ago, ForeverandEver said:

Haha you serious? 

Guppy was one of the all time best crosses of the ball in the Premier league. Chilwell struggles with the basics of being able to use his feet to kick the ball a short distance to another human being. 

For me it's a sell. If the club are going to be sanctioning a player a year type sale than for me it's Chilwell and we can mug another one of the 'top 6' off. 

Whilst Rodger's is still in charge, we can't just sell him.

I think Rodgers will bring the best out of him.

Like people say, he's an academy player, young and definitely still learning. 

He really should not be cashed out, life isn't a betting app. 

Let him continue to develop at Leicester, it's an extremely weak argument that he won't get better. 

His first six months of last season were great, but he's not really kept those levels up (but he's still been mostly fine). His final ball is a huge issue when you're playing with attacking full backs. He can't shoot, cross and his link up play isn't great either. I know that might be harsh when he's a full back, but that's what the modern full back is now. He needs to be doing a huge amount of work on those areas to improve. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ForeverandEver said:

You say that, but last season James Maddison only got 3 more assists than Chilwell in the same number of appearances - & that was Chilwell playing from LB.

Anyway it’ll probably never happen, was just a thought. 

He is not a winger he is a left back

Chilwell is having a season a bit like our Arry had last season where he just isn't that effective. Poor distribution, often out of position and so easily bypassed by opposition attackers he isn't all that. So if he goes at the seasons end for a good chunk of change which will likely be around £60mn then so be it. 

Guest An Sionnach

I've said it before , he needs a few weeks on the bench and let Christian have a spell .He can focus on his recent form and hopefully sort it out without the pressure . He provides a bit of cover in all left sided positions when needed as well.